• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the best ignition setup to get rid of points?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking to goet rid of my points. Can someone tell me the advantages to going with Petronix, MSD, etc...? Let me know what you guys think is the best for your buck for the stock '74/302/2bbl. Let me know how the change helped your vehicle run, start, etc.. too.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
I would go with the pentronix on a mostly stock rig. The make the set up where you use your original distributor and just replace the points with a laser set up. I think it only about $99.00 I had it in my 71 and never had a problem with it. Strated and ran 100 times better.

Tom

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run the DUI on both broncos. Now there are cheaper versions out that are good. We had problems running
the pertronics.

cro_bronco

Loc.
Hamilton, MI
I would go with the Ford Duraspark. It's a simple conversion, easy to get parts for, and probably the cheapest if you go too a salvage yard to get most of the parts, or you can go buy the parts at your local auto parts store. You need to change your distributor and coil and add the control module. Here's a wiring diagram I saved out of a different post on this forum.

Attachments

• duraspar.jpg
    duraspar.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 288

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Blue71,

I am another one of the Pertronix runners. I have used them for a long time in my racing Healey's. I never had a problem with them in those little screaming engines! If they can take the RPMs that I was pushing and not crap out, then I figure they will be good in my Rig. Let me tell you, a 3 Liter 4 cylinder can damage a spark distribution system!

Just a Primates Opinion!!!!!

Which one you doing this to? The blue one or the orange restoration in the works?

MnkyBiz

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I used the Crane XR-i. Initially I had a bit of a problem but after a call to their Tech Line I got it squared away. Just have to make sure that when you tighten down plate the module mounts to you leave it loose enough for the advance to work (directions don't exactly state that part). I'm running one in my '68 EB and in my son's '73 F-100. No problems so far, been about 4 month on the Bronco and a couple on the pick-up.

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
Another vote for Pertronix here. I've had it a couple of years now and, along with the ease of installation, the difference in how the engine runs makes me think it's a great "performance for the buck" option. I've heard some have problems with it which, from what I've heard them describe, are pretty much related to overheating and/or leaving the ignition switch in the "on" position too long. This last is apparently a problem with the original version but the newest incarnation of the device is advertised as not being susceptible to that problem. I keep my old points, etc. in the glove box in case the Pertronix module craps out on me, but it's been so long since I've changed points now, I'm not sure I'd be able to reinstall them without a manual. ;D

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I have been running the Duraspark without fail for years. In between I tried a MSD box with a Malory distributor. The mallory crapped out on me. Talked with a few more knowledgeable peole about it and they advised me to throw the mallory away as they are not reliable %) no kidding. Back to Duraspark and the EB runs bettter than ever!;D

74bronc

Bronco Guru
One more vote for the wrecking yard Duraspark setup. Being the paranoid me, I would always want to carry an extra Pertronix module with me in case it went south and that could get expensive.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I'm not sure which is best but my '73 is running very well with a junkyard Duraspark. I think I'm going to get one of those weather boots that Wild Horses sells. Great schematic by cro_bronco by the way...
~bh

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
IowaMike said:
I used the Crane XR-i. Initially I had a bit of a problem but after a call to their Tech Line I got it squared away. Just have to make sure that when you tighten down plate the module mounts to you leave it loose enough for the advance to work (directions don't exactly state that part). I'm running one in my '68 EB and in my son's '73 F-100. No problems so far, been about 4 month on the Bronco and a couple on the pick-up.

I just bought the Crane Xr-i set-up. I'm about to put it in. Thanks for the info. On your EB, are you using a Crane coil? And if so, did you have the use the external ballast resistor supplied with the coil??

Jeff

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
What year duraspark are you guys running that are so trouble free? When I was a ford dealership mechanic in the 70's the modules were garbage and constantly going bad. Maybe they improved them , just want to know what year setup you guys are using. maybe Ill try one.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
MontrealBronco said:
I just bought the Crane Xr-i set-up. I'm about to put it in. Thanks for the info. On your EB, are you using a Crane coil? And if so, did you have the use the external ballast resistor supplied with the coil??

Jeff

I'm using the stock coil. The wire to splice into is the pink with green stripe if I remember right. That way you're still using the resistor wire. Just make sure the screws for the plate are tight enough to hold but not so tight that it can't move for the vacuum advance. Like I said, I learned the hard way.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
mtkawboy said:
What year duraspark are you guys running that are so trouble free? When I was a ford dealership mechanic in the 70's the modules were garbage and constantly going bad. Maybe they improved them , just want to know what year setup you guys are using. maybe Ill try one.
Mine is out of a 78 Ranchero with a BLUE Color Coded Module (used Motorcraft brand). It's been on there for about 3 years and been trouble free.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Duraspark. The ability to get spares has got to be the biggest benefit. Think of all the isolated places you'd like to go that might not have aftermarket spares. Any parts store or juckyard will have a duraspark module.

One caution however- get a Ford module. I've been through two cheapies in a year The first died on the way to work in the rain. NOT cool getting stranded in rush hour traffic! Luckily the second died in my driveway. How's that for luck?. All were replaced under Kragen warrenty.

As an A to B: the cheap module was running hella hot with a MSD duraspark compatible coil. (The two previous bad ones had the potting compound melted/ blown out.) Swapped in a junkyard Ford module and it's barely warm. I now carry the cheapy for a spare, although I'll pick up another Ford unit on my next junkyard trip.

JP

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My 74 Bronco still is running its stock electronic ignition including the origional mag pick-up. its not the blue tab Dura spark but the so called unreliable previous model. I have had other dura spark ignition vechicles and they sooner or later had high mileage problems and all were in the mag pick-up in the dist. I do carry a spare of each though and when I bought mine it was dealer only at $150.00 some 27 years ago. I worried for nothing but do enjoy peace of mind.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I carried a spare new one under my seat so mine never went bad because I had it. Ive mentioned this before but if you have one and it quits, wire a bag of ice on top of it and let it set 10 minutes and it will get you home. It starts out going bad by stalling in a tight turn like the problem is the carb then gets progressively worse. Sometimes the sender in the distributer goes bad but its usually the module. If I had a 78 module Id definetly get a spare to carry with me.