• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the name of this steering part??

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
Ok, I know with a title like that you think I would have a picture, I left it at the shop.

I took the STOCK lower steering shaft out of my 76 Bronco tonight, becaue the u-joint is bad.

When I removed it there is a plastic circlular piece with 3 clips on the outside and a bearing in the middle right behind the column(its kind of a little cup). I think it needs replaced to. I thought it was the lower column bearing, but the pictures on bronco graveyard are not the same as this part.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-17062-column-bearing-lower-1976-77.html

Does anyone know the name of this part or have a link to it.

Thanks

Jason

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe there's is an upgrade part? If what you're describing is the same as I'm used to seeing in the earlier columns, it's still the lower bearing, just in multiple pieces.
You would have the plastic circular piece, which I would call a "race", with a set of captured or "caged" ball bearings (similar to those on bicycle steering heads) and other associated clips and spacers and thingies.

That sound plausible from what you took out?

Paul

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
76-77 lower column bearing. It's plastic and has a bearing in it.

Wildhorses used to sell them and prob still do(other venders might as well). They have it listed in one of their old catalogs as part number 2637. Page 30 in the one I have.

Tim

Myllo73

For the 66-75 it's just a lower steering column retainer seal, basically a dust cover that you slide up over the lower bearing. For the 76-77 (the one you have a link to) is the lower bearing and a retainer/dust cover in one. I used the orginal style when I rebuilt the steering column in my 73, I don't know if one for the 76-77 would work or if any work would have to be don to make it work.

OP
OP
B

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I actually have wildhorses catalog that is actually in a 3 ring binder from 1995 that came with bronco, and it is for sure part 2637.

Thank you so much for the help, none of the sites show this part or accurate picture of it.

Thanks Timmy and everyone else!!