• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what I've learned from my "build"

therd1

Loc.
frankfort
This is for all of the newbies out there, as I'm basically one myself. The goal is that hopefully my learning curves and losses will be a gain for you.

First things first - here's the story!!
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132003

I bought the bronco in Nov 08'. In Dec I hit a patch of black ice and proceeded to slide into oncoming traffic. Luckily everybody was OK, but I was left with an expensive question to answer.....to rebuild or to part out the remains. If you're reading this, you can guess the answer to that.

I did some research, saved some cash, and decided that I was going to try and rebuild. I have decent technical abilities and thought I could accomplish such a task. I killed several weekends driving all over the place for parts (some aftermarket, but most stock parts) and had assembled what I thought was enough to be my rebuilt Bronco....and then I took the tarp off the Bronco remains and came to the realization that I had no clue what I was doing. (It was the middle of winter when I made the decision to rebuild and much of the damage was hidden by snow and my pride.

I put an ad on craigslist to part it out and hoped to recoup most of the money I spent on new parts. And then I met the "Dr." The agreement was that he would take a look at it, assess the damage, and quote me a price to piece it back together....what's the harm in that? if I get a decent price I would proceed with the rebuild, if it's out of my price range I would part it out.....He gave me a good price!!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135548

Here is what I learned:

Plan ahead, know what your going to buy and order in one shot...it will save on shipping/ driving around for parts. I spent a bunch of money on parts I didn't need and some that wouldn't work on my truck
aftermarket fenders are a PITA
assume that there is more rust than previously thought. ie assume to replace door posts/ floor pans
cheap aftermarket door handles SUCK. stick with the originals even though they're not as pretty
if you expect to complete your project on time...you're probably not!!
do things right the first time, even if it takes more time and costs more money. you will save time, aggravation, and money in the long run
take notes and pictures of the build
whatever you're planning on spending....expect to spend more!!! I cannot stress this enough.:eek:
you're going to need friends...and BEER!!!

all in all, I am very happy with the build. I spent a TON more money that I thought I was going to, but mostly due to my own fault. I knew that the Bronco would be a daily driver so I decided to bling in a couple of areas so that it would be a little nicer....and I also bought parts that would not work on the truck and had to sell later for less than the purchase price.

I REALLY want to say a HUGE thank you to DrBronco69 for rebuilding (and doing a great job) on my Bronco and to those folks who helped him with parts and wrenching on my truck.

--Matt

Attachments

• photo-22.jpg
    photo-22.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 184
  • bronco.jpg
    bronco.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 142
  • bronco2.jpg
    bronco2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 120

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Great story!

I 2nd the "do it right the first time" comment. Sometimes I dont know WHAT the PO was thinking...then I realize that it was me that did that %)

Post some more pics of the finished product!

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
assume that there is more rust than previously thought.

if you expect to complete your project on time...you're probably not!!

do things right the first time, even if it takes more time and costs more money.

whatever you're planning on spending....expect to spend more!!! I cannot stress this enough.:eek:

I spent a TON more money that I thought I was going to,

All of these x3!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Great story!

I 2nd the "do it right the first time" comment. Sometimes I dont know WHAT the PO was thinking...then I realize that it was me that did that %)

Post some more pics of the finished product!

X 2 on that.....

ransil

Bronco Guru
I always triple initial estimates on cost and time to complete the job.
usually miss that target too..

OP
OP
T

therd1

Loc.
frankfort
the windshield does look funny, I tightened the bikini top pretty good...this was before I braced the windshield to the roll bar

I would also like to say for those folks who bought or are thinking about buying the centech wiring harness and the tuffy glovebox, these 2 are a pita to work with when used together, nothing lines up. I managed to put them together rather well, but it was more difficult than I thought it would have been.

ALSO-- MIKE- I really owe you a ton for putting this thing back together. I've been super-ultra busy lately and haven't been able to make it up north as much as I would like, but I hope you know I'm super happy with how it turned out and realize you put a ton more work into it than you had planned.

thank you again.

KT22

This post is so true. My project took twice as long and cost twicw as much as I thought it would. Very happy with the result though.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Can you explain further regarding the centech wiring harness and the tuffy glovebox issues?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What I learned from my build, two years and counting, bad economy makes some parts cheaper, but makes me less likely to spend dough.

OP
OP
T

therd1

Loc.
frankfort
Can you explain further regarding the centech wiring harness and the tuffy glovebox issues?

the fuse panel cover has to be bent and new holes have to be drilled to make it fit. also because the tuffy box is metal, there must be some sort of protection from the circuit board. this wasn't terribly difficult, but I was surprised that the two companies didn't account for the design as these two are frequently used together by bronco builders.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
the windshield does look funny, I tightened the bikini top pretty good...this was before I braced the windshield to the roll bar

I would also like to say for those folks who bought or are thinking about buying the centech wiring harness and the tuffy glovebox, these 2 are a pita to work with when used together, nothing lines up. I managed to put them together rather well, but it was more difficult than I thought it would have been.

ALSO-- MIKE- I really owe you a ton for putting this thing back together. I've been super-ultra busy lately and haven't been able to make it up north as much as I would like, but I hope you know I'm super happy with how it turned out and realize you put a ton more work into it than you had planned.

thank you again.

Matt,
This is the first time I have seen this thread. ?:? It was a pleasure to help you out. I am happy that I gained a friend out of the deal. I'm not much for sappy stuff, so I'll just say " you are welcome ". ;D
I've been pretty busy myself. I have my truck ripped down finally, now that I've got my garage back.:p Doing a build myself. Give me a call over the weekend if you've got time.