• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what new mig welder would you buy???

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Miller 175, or Lincoln 180.

I've done 3/16 with my MM175 and .030 not even dialed all the way up. Preparation, gap and technique are key.

Yup. Having a gap and proper edge beveling helps 'cheat' the amp requirement some relative to simply going by net plate thickness..you are correct there. Of course, with a 175 machine, you are good for 3/16" anyway.

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
Don't be tempted by the lincolns you see at Home Depot or Lowes.

My dad has always used a stick welder but bought a small 110V flux core from Home Depot for light stuff. When he needed to replace a part inside the gun (some trigger spring I think it was), he was SOL on getting parts. The local welding shops all told him right off they didn't carry those parts - something about that model being specific to the Home Depot line. They could sell a new gun but couldn't get specific parts. I would recommend on something like this to buy a model that your local welding shop sells. Not that you have to buy from them but if you need parts later on, chances are they'll carry them.

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I like the blue stuff but you can't go wrong with Lincoln. Definitely don't go no-name, I've seen more than one guy give up trying to get parts for off-shore welders. The Drive mechanism is everything for consistent GMAW welds, the cheap roller setups tend to surge.

From what you've described a MM180 is likely a good fit. I've got the MM251 which is awesome but overkill for most Bronco stuff (more $$ too). Good luck. ;D

cobra70

Loc.
Bryan, Tx
Miller makes a great welder. I just got a Millermatic 180 with autolink you can use can set it like a regualar mig welder or use the auto link and just set metal size and wire size and it sets itself. I also have a miller syncrowave 180, and Miller plasma cutter. I work at a welding supply makes it hard to bring any money home from my pay check with all the goodies we have.

OP
OP
P

paleo man

THANKS you guys.....this is just what i need to hear/find.....i am now looking at the miller line up....i have a old lincoln cracker box....time to get updated....thanks again.....Paleo

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
THANKS you guys.....this is just what i need to hear/find.....i am now looking at the miller line up....i have a old Lincoln cracker box....time to get updated....thanks again.....Paleo

I forgot exactly where you are at but what ever one you decide to go with give me a holler I can get you a pretty good deal through my welder rep. As far as welders miller or Lincoln are the best we use both here at work. I have a cracker box as well lincoln 225 and my brother has the wire welder so works out good for us;D

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Not pickin on nobody but for some that dont know Millier/Horbart made by same people my hobart came from factory with a Miller gun...and Hobart made in USA!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Mig welder to buy

Not to hijack but does anyone know how to find the recommendations for welding certain thickness of metal with certain thickness of wire? I previously posted that I have a Lincoln 175HD which runs on 220 and I use .025 wire in it but I got to thinking for welding up a cage or bumpers shock mounts etc. Is .25 going to be big enough? I just assumed multiple passes but really I am a novice and guessing.

Ben

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Not to hijack but does anyone know how to find the recommendations for welding certain thickness of metal with certain thickness of wire? I previously posted that I have a Lincoln 175HD which runs on 220 and I use .025 wire in it but I got to thinking for welding up a cage or bumpers shock mounts etc. Is .25 going to be big enough? I just assumed multiple passes but really I am a novice and guessing.

Ben
.25 is fine
I think I have .23 in my welder and I use it for alot of things. Turn it up if you need to and adjust the wire speed to match your style of welding.

I'm just too lazy to swap out the wire and tips....%)

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
You can get by with .025, however you will pile up alot of material at heavier amperages (metal thicknesses) because you will have to run the wire speed up to prevent burnback...

If you buy the MM175 it has the dual groove drive spool, one side .023/.025, the other .030/.035: reversing it takes a minute. A bit longer for pull the wire, changing the roll, changing the tip, and feeding the new wire tho...

Doesn't the Lincoln have different drive spools?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks Mad, that is what I was told as well. But as Malcom mentioned I tend to have the problem that he mentions about pile up. May have to get a roll of the .35 and give it a try. To answer your question Malcom, I don't know? Will have to take a look at it this weekend.

Reason I am asking is that I have one of the protofab rear bumpers and I installed a 2" body lift and then cut the bottom of the rear quarter off and it bugs me to see the bumper hanging down that low. (2" LOL!) So I plan on modifying it and move it up 2".

Anyway, wasn't sure if the .025 was going to cut it or not. Guess I need to get some and play around.

Ben

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run the 035 in my 250 (and seldom anything else) and the .025 or .023 in my 140. I tried using the smaller wire in my spool gun on the 250 with mixed results..maxxed out of wire feed speed to soon for any substantial welding but was hard to slow down enough and get the right for body work too..which is why I ended up buying the Hobart 140 for body work.

74fiberglass

Iam also gonna buy a new miller,can some explain why I would want a spool gun,will i ever need it really? or will it just look good on my shelf . Thankx

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
The other reason for a spool gun is if you have to weld a long distance from your power source. Not all that common in the home garage.

The spool gun really shines in aluminum welding because it's tough (not impossible) to get consistent results pushing aluminum wire down a 10' lead to the torch.

ditto on cyberweld.com, best prices I could find when I bought my Dynasty 200DX.

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes it can. You can buy every type of wire in small spools. It can be convenient if you often switch between different wire sizes and types (mild steel, stainless, aluminum). You waste a lot less wire when you switch over.