• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what new mig welder would you buy???

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unplugging the wife's dryer are ya? I have the same plan :p

I finally wired it so I didn't have to plug the garage A/C unit into the dryer plug anymore.

The welder was running withen 3 days of moving into the new house. Took several more months to wire it correctly, but I did have a working welder before I had filtered water. That one did NOT involve the dryer plug. I optioned the house with the 50A 220V option. The funnies part was when we were doing the option list and they came to that, I told them I wanted 3. They looked at me, some phone calls and e-emails, Went back to the head guy that does all the eletrical engineering for all the residential work. Came back that I could only have 1 plug in the garage. They were not willing to go to a larger main panel and house feed.I tried to explain that I would not use an electric dryer, they could just move that curcuit. No dice.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
miller all the way and you must use gas. you can also keep an arc welder in reserve it makes really ugly but strong welds for cheap.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
There are a bunch out there that will get the job done, but I too would recommend getting at least a 170+.

I have a Miller 172 in my home shop, and we have a Miller 251 at work. The 172 easily handles anything I need to do on the EB. I have mine setup with a 30lb. external spool. I love that thing, I've changed wire two or three times in the eight plus years since I bought the welder. It beats runnin' out of wire in the middle of a project. I also went with a big bottle for the same reason.

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Great post.. I am looking for one my self.. My uncle has a lincoln welder that he has been useing for ever and that is the direction he told me to go with...

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Each person is going to have their preference based on their situation. In my case, I prefer welding most everything but very thin sheet metal with my stick welder for maximum penetration, and I vary rarely weld any sheet metal, so I purchased an elcheapo flux core Harbor Freight special for $88. I love it! Only use it for body panels and such and for that it works great. I know some guys that really do not feel that their welding is proficient with a stick and they buy a nice Lincoln or Miller with the gas option and they weld everything with them.

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
Lincoln 175HD 220v Made a extension cord that runs to my water heater in the back part of the garage...just remember to plug the heater back in for the morning shower....I'm sure you can guess how I know this.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I bought a stick welder years ago at a pawn shop (made by sears) Paid less than a 100 bucks I think for it. It was brand new never used. My problem is that I suck with an Arc welder! The mig makes me look like I know what I am doing LOL! I really need to spend some time playing with the ARC more to get better with it.

Ben

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My shop MIG is an ESAB 250, which runs the stinger for steel and either an Profax spool gun, or my Airco full-spool wire handler w/push-pull gun, for aluminum and stainless work.

My mobile MIG is a Hobart Champ 16 with another Profax spool gun.

But I'm prolly just bragging..neither are what I would call 'budget solutions';D I wouldn't even want to admit what I paid for my Esab 252 water-cooled TIG machine...%)

If you want to do any structural welding...get something 220V and 175-180A or bigger. The 110V units are for body work...period. I have a Hobart Handler for that..and that is all its good for.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I love my MM251.. But wanted to suggest to look at the Miller DVI.. Works on 110 or 220.. That way you can use it with 110, but switch to 220 for bigger stuff.. I almost got one of them... About $1100 if I remember.. The main reason I got the 251 is the ability to just plug in a spool gun for alum and add another bottle..

I got a Miller DVI2 a few months ago for just those reasons. I've only had a chance to use it on 220 but I love how good it works.

Last edited:

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
miller all the way and you must use gas. you can also keep an arc welder in reserve it makes really ugly but strong welds for cheap.

This is sacreligious but at nearly $4/lb for scrap copper you could probably get enough out of that old buz box to upgrade to a 251. I've got a nice running Lincoln Weld-N-Power AC/DC portable that is worth more for the 200 lbs of copper in it than I could get for it as a welder. No wonder they are ripping the plumbing and wire out of new homes.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Brand is prob personal preferance. I have a hobart, wish I had a miller, don't like lincoln. But I will recomend going with the 220v if you can swing it. You can turn it down and do thin sheetmetal with it, but you can only turn the 110 up so far!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I was in your shoes a year ago. I ended up getting a Miller 175. I was going to go with a lincoln because they are a little less expensive but I went down to my local welding shop and happened to catch the Miller Rep in the store. He let me know about an upcomming deal they were running and I got it for less than the lincoln. Don't be tempted by the lincolns you see at Home Depot or Lowes. They are cheaper but don't have the infinate voltage. They just have 4 settings. I really wanted to get a 220 unit but I don't have 220 and was not ready to spring for putting it in because I'm going to be moving in the near future.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Mines a Hobart 180....$560 I set it up for solid wire I couldnt ask it to do a better job!

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
I've got a Miller 135, and a Lincoln 255. The Lincoln had dust on becuase the Miller does such a great job. I haven't encountered anything on the Bronco yet that the Miller can't do.

firemanbuttsy

Loc.
Northern VA
I have a Millermatic 210 and love it it will make you a better welder just by using it. It is super user friendly and very versatile. The only downside is that it is 220 so it requires the extra wiring but its well worth it.

Dbteak

I have a Miller 110v wire feed that uses flux core. I have had it since around 1985. It has been thrown around, borrowed, and abused. It still works like it was new except for the fan is starting to get noisy. I also have a Millermatic 250 for the "clean" welding. You can't go wrong with Miller. I have also used a Lincoln and they are also good welders. I would find a "friendly" welding shop, see what they sell and go with that brand. It is nice when you need parts or advice, you can find them locally. Not sure of the answer you will get from a Home Depot associate on what kind of wire or gas to use.

Doug

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got a Miller 135, and a Lincoln 255. The Lincoln had dust on becuase the Miller does such a great job. I haven't encountered anything on the Bronco yet that the Miller can't do.

I agree..for anything on the body and cage work with .120 wall. But you are not including chassis, drive train or bumpers in that 'anything' categroy..are you?

Miller's own on-line welding guide contradicts their advertised specs for the 135 model on the same site..as do most all others fib that make that size machine..like my Hobart Handler, for example. . They advertise you can go to 3/16" steel with 'em..but the welding guides (theirs and AWS..any guide) show that requires a lot more amperage for proper weld penetration than those machines provide. If you go by the welding specs and want a weld that is up to par for strength, 1/8" steel is the limit for a 135A mig machine. Worth afew extra coin to go with a bigger machine unless you are certain that body work and very light fabrication is all you will ever want it to do.