• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What now? Stripped knuckle to spindle bolt holes

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Has anybody had to deal with this before?

I'm not sure if everybodies knuckles are this way are not, but my spidle attaches to the steering knuckle by bolts going through the spindle and threading into the knuckles. These bolt holes are stripped. I've had to chase the threads before and use new bolts, but I think that the next time that I have to remove the spindle its not going to go back together. I'm considering my options for fixing this and it seems like I can either drill them and use a bolt and nut, or I can drill and tap them for the next size larger bolt. I imagine this is not an unheard of problem...so what's the normal fix?

Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can share. I also would like to say again what a great resource this board is. There's a ton of great tech topics on here today!

Thanks guys

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Mine bolt in and I know what your talking about. I have 2-3 holes that feel like they're about to be stripped. I suppose you could find some studs and have them pressed in, but that would also meen you'd have to pull the knuckles off. Post up what ever you figure out, so the rest of us can use your ideas. Good luck

brewchief

I've heard of spot facing the inside of the knuckle and then using a pan head style bolt from the inside out, it would be like a stud and use a nut on the spindle side.

Brewchief;D

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
I Think By The Time You Mess With It You Could Have Put Some New Or Used Knuckles On.ALSO IF YOU DRILL TO NEXT SIZE BOLT YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL SPINDLE .HUMMM PRETY HARD STEEL

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
no problem, I drilled mine out and purchased studs on the web. they are just like all the chebby ones w/studs. or drill them and use a gr 8 bolt w/one side ground down to clear axl shaft. either way u need to "machine" inside flat like brewcheif said. mine works great!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hey Tyler you could use helicoils before going to the next larger size of bolt. If you ever run into problems look me up as I have a spare Dside knuckle in good condition.

OP
OP
Rockrawl

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
hmmm, it is the driver side that's messed up :) I'll look at my options but I may be giving you a call. Thanks for the offer! --I'm stilll supposed to buy you a beer sometime too

Hey Bronco Brett, anything special for studs, or just something like a wheel stud that can be hammered in from the back?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Let me know. Its not in town so it would take a few days before I go and pick it up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All mine were stripped. Tapped out to the next larger size, drilled the spindles and bolted it all together. Been that way for years. Seen a fair share of abuse and still works just fine. Didn't need to buy any new parts (other then some good bolts) to fix it either.