• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Roll Cage Is Everyone Running?

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
Looking at getting a full family-type cage for the bronc. What is everyone running and what are some the pro/cons to each as far as fit and ability to use p-brake, glove box, etc.

Of course pictures are greatly appriciated.

I like the look of the crab cage and some of the others with thikcer tubing.

Thanks

66crawler

Loc.
Castle Rock
Mine had the full Smittybuilt bolt in one when I bought it. I just didn't feel that safe with it though since it just mounted to the shell.

I took it out and had a full custom one built that goes through the shell and welds to the frame. If you are seriously looking for a rollover safe cage, then don't waste your money on a Shell mount one. There is just NO comparison in strength.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I think it all depends on whether or not you mount your seats to the cage or not. My seats are mounted to the cage and the cage is not mounted to the body. If I ever have a really hard roll and things start to come apart I would rather go with the cage than with the eb where there is a possibility of fire. With all the bracing I have running for my seat mounts there is no danger of the cage pushing thru the floor. Just my $.02.

crab

Bronco Guru
We have made a couple changes to the basic cage. All of our cages now come with a diagonal rear brace that replaces the knee brace that used to sit on the rear fender. Also all cages now come with the short diagonal brace in the top corner of the door openings along with four sheet metal gussets overhead in the rear section. Basic cage as mentioned above and shown in first three pics (grab handles are an extra $45 a pair welded) runs$750 professionally Tig welded. You can add just the seat kit door bars that follow along the floor for an additional $75 welded. As mentioned in a quote above, this prevents the cage from going through the floor. We also have frame tie ins available which anchor the cage to the frame in six points, all of which are isolated with urethane bushings and custom built for 0-3" body lifts with no cutting required. Cage material is 2" HREW .120 wall steel tubing. We can build your cage out of DOM for an additional $250.

Attachments

• cagebrace.jpg
    cagebrace.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 191
  • cagebraceII.jpg
    cagebraceII.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 120
  • gussets III.jpg
    gussets III.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 115
  • pallet V.jpg
    pallet V.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 176

D ROCK

Crab your cages look awesome! I assume you build them to sell, or really just have a big bronco habit. How much are those cages in the pic you posted? How much do they weigh? Would you ship to NC? Thanks! Keep up the good work!!

crab

Bronco Guru
hudson's74 said:
could that be my cage with the handles in upper left pic? Hope so!!!
I told you it was done! My mouth is watering for that ham ;)
Crab

crab

Bronco Guru
ROKDWLR said:
And is that mine on the back of the trailer?
Right again!
That was on the way to the welder. I will be shipping today!!!!

crab

Bronco Guru
D ROCK said:
Crab your cages look awesome! I assume you build them to sell, or really just have a big bronco habit. How much are those cages in the pic you posted? How much do they weigh? Would you ship to NC? Thanks! Keep up the good work!!
The cages pictured above run $750 fully Tig welded. Grab handles are extra and run around $50 a pair. I can ship a fully welded cage to the SAIA terminal in Charlotte NC for $925 total
Crab

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Crab, I need one too, how much shipped to the nearest terminal of 68516 or 68528? Want seat mount and dash oh $hit bar ;)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Crab, does that front horizontal bar clear the dash pad?

Anybody have pictures of this installed??

crab

Bronco Guru
Bronco Wild said:
Crab, I need one too, how much shipped to the nearest terminal of 68516 or 68528? Want seat mount and dash oh $hit bar ;)
Complete seat kit is $200 welded or just the door bars are $75 welded. $hit bar on dash is $60 welded or 7/8" solid stock grab handles on front pillars are $40 a pair welded.
I can ship to terminal at:
5840 Arbor Road
Lincoln, Ne 68514
for $125-$135 depending on how many options for a fully welded cage
Crab

crab

Bronco Guru
Mark Troy said:
Crab, does that front horizontal bar clear the dash pad?

Anybody have pictures of this installed??
Our cages are custom per order. If you are running a dash pad the bar will clear the pad by 1/4-3/8". If you're not running a dash pad, we will drop the bar to the dash pad location. I will post a pick of the cage in my bronco this evening.
Crab

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Thanks Dude, I will order one here in the next couple of weeks. I have to get the interior Herc'd and get a soft top on the way. Chuck is supposed to find me some new Beard covers. I need to line up the powder coater and I will be ready. How long will it take once I place the order with you?

john32

66crawler said:
Mine had the full Smittybuilt bolt in one when I bought it. I just didn't feel that safe with it though since it just mounted to the shell.

I took it out and had a full custom one built that goes through the shell and welds to the frame. If you are seriously looking for a rollover safe cage, then don't waste your money on a Shell mount one. There is just NO comparison in strength.

where can i get one that connects to the frame and how much would i t cost?

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
john32 said:
where can i get one that connects to the frame and how much would i t cost?

Unless you want to cut big holes in the floor, you need to use cage tie-in's like Crab, completeoffroad and others sell. They have isoloators in them so that your body has a little cushion. Without them, you could just as well run solid body mounts. Ride would be really, really rough though.

www.completeoffroad.com 's solution:

TIE INTO FRAME KIT EFFECTIVELY SECURES FRONT HOOP TO FRAME. UTILIZES EXCLUSIVE ISOLATION BUSHING TO REDUCE VIBRATION TRANSFERED INTO CAB AND ALLOWS FLEX DURING EXTREME ATRICULATION OF SUSPENSION. WILL NOT WORK WITH AUX FUEL TANK AND REQUIRES TRIMMING OF ROCKER PANEL GUSSET. WELDING AND FITTING REQUIRED.

Attachments

• TieIntoFrameKit-fronthoop2006134270m[1].jpg
    TieIntoFrameKit-fronthoop2006134270m[1].jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 45

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I run complete offroad's family cage. It's a great unit, I've got pictures of it in my gallery. Great price for a top notch cage and the front and main hoop tie in kits are great