• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What was the first and last year of factory (front) Limited Slip?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just curious..... What was the first year and last year of the (front) limited slip?" Seems like the rear L/S was offered from 66-77 but haven't come across any later models that have the factory "Limited Slip." Anybody know the span? Let me know.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont know about when first front LS was offered but I do know that it was still an option on the TTB trucks mid 90's not sure about todays IFS trucks

67ster

Bronco Guru
My previous '66 had it and so does my '67 but in a D-30 , makes for some exciting driving on ice in off camber situations .

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) My 66 came with it in the front on a D 30 now replaced with a 44 and true track and have had a 76 with it in the 44 never had a 77 yet. So I would think you could order it any year 66 to 77. %) %) %) Bill %) :cool: :p

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure that the '71 sales brochure listed it. As well as the PTO winch and a few other cool things.

Paul

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anbody ever heard or seen of a '77 with it stock? My '77 has stock 4.10/4.11 seatup with factory L/S in the rear, but I don't think it is in the front. Can I check it without pulling the cover, or will an Axle code tell me? Let me know.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
As far as a D44 goes, a LS in the front was most common in '71-'73 model EB's. Pretty scarce in '74-'77 models, I've had a couple of '76 models that had it. I've heard from more that one (good) source that limited slip D44's weren't an option in '77?? Anyway, just my .02.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
My old 71 had a front and rear limited slip. Its the last thing in the world you want on an icey road, just keeps hunting back & forth

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, the axle code will tell you what it came with from the factory. If the tag is still there it would have an "L" or an "LS" stamped in it somewhere near the axle ratio number. Or the vin tag might give that info.
Another way to tell without pulling the cover is to jack up both wheels, lock both hubs and turn one wheel. If the other rotates in the same direction, it's a limited slip. If it rotates in the opposite direction, it's either an open diff or a limited slip with REALLY worn out clutches.

Paul

U

Unregisteredd

My 77 I bought in 94 from the original owner, he said that he could not get front limited slip not available in 77 just rear.

Knox

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
If I can rememver back 23 years ago Im pretty sure it spelled out limited slip on it with the 350 gear ratio.