• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What were the original paint colors on misc. parts from the factory

mebco09

I am in the process of doing a sort-of "correct" restoration on my 67. (not original paint, but as close to stock as possible)

Everything is going to get blasted and refinished eventually, and I would like to get as much correct as I can. Painted vs. unfinished vs. some other paint.

Right now here is what I am working on-

Tailgate-

Tailgate latch/surround/handle-
License plate mount/spring assembly-
tailgate supports- were these supposed to be raw? maybe zinc?

Under dash-

Clutch/brake/bracket-
Clutch/brake/pedals-
Accelerator pedal bracket-
Heater box (metal part)-
E-brake bracket assembly-

My license plate mount is Wimbledon White, and every one that I have seen is painted body color. Same with the tailgate latch. It is throwing me off.

My 77 has NO paint on the pedal bracket assembly, it is getting rusty, but the pedals appear to be painted brownish black (chassis paint maybe).

Thanks in advance-

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All those underdash things, I call it a gun metal black/whatever generic ford part black is called but time makes it either black or slightly rusty looking. Careful sandblasting that brake clutch bracket, lots of bad things cam happen with sand in that bushing area.

My 66's all had body color paint on tailgate and license plate. Galvanized metal for the latch, and hinge parts/supports/screws/bolts.

A more informed answer from the real 66-67 guys soon.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
All those underdash things, I call it a gun metal black/whatever generic ford part black is called but time makes it either black or slightly rusty looking. Careful sandblasting that brake clutch bracket, lots of bad things cam happen with sand in that bushing area.

My 66's all had body color paint on tailgate and license plate. Galvanized metal for the latch, and hinge parts/supports/screws/bolts.

A more informed answer from the real 66-67 guys soon.

Correct just as 73azbronco stated.
Screenshot_20210808-231907_Gallery.jpg

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It depends on how original that you want to be, but the petal assemblies and the e-brake pedal assembly were partly raw and partly painted... Crazy, I know.. The petal arms were dipped in black up to a point. A close examination and you can probably tell to where, but most were painted up past the point that the raw metal wasn't visible from the driver's seat.

Most restorers are going to paint the complete assembly though....me included.

Okie and 73az are correct on the tailgate hardware.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Ok, next question with respect to the hardware that was zinc or galvanized from the factory-

On the tailgate supports, strikes and latches- I have blasted off all of the old paint, and now these items are now bare. Were they made of an alloy that won't rust, or were they sprayed with some sort of galvanized paint prior to install?

On the tailgate handle- I guess-same question.

Thanks for the replys.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the ones I saw in the old days were zinc/silver cad/galvanized color for all of the above. The tailgate hinge/pivots, the support bars, latches and striker plates.
All dull silver.

I think there are some members here with at least some of those items painted body color, especially including the door strikers and latches. But my latches and strikers were the same dull silver. I believe, but don't really remember for certain, that the painted ones were late models, such as '77's maybe?
I seem to remember a discussion about the possibility that they were painted later, but we were assured that the original owners remembered them painted when purchased.

Paul