• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What would cause a Standard Tranny to be stuck in first?

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I'm going to look at a 75' tomorrow and I might need to tow it home because the Tranny is stuck in first the guy said.

I'm going to take out the drive shaft and place a new battery in it and fire it up to see whats up and up-

Any ideas on the Tranny?

hucklburry

I think the most probable cause is the shift linkage. Either still column or a floor shifter, you can get the shift linkage screwed up and to make it work again, need to get the linkage back into first gear to match where the tranny really is. I have seen it on one bronco and one 1991 honda.

I guess it could be a clutch, but I think it would pop into nuetral if that was the case. Maybe its internal to the tranny, I dunno.

A 3 speed can be had for $50 plus shipping from someone around here, or free sometimes. A clutch doesn't cost that much.

I hope it turns out to be a good deal.

--Jim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wore out shift linkage would be my first guess.

After you buy it, unhook the linkage off the transmission and try to shift it (after making the steps of chocking the tires, etc.) You don't want to fix it before you buy it or else they seller will want more money for it. Besides the stock 3 speeds are cheap. If you just want a transmission, you can find a working door stop, er, transmission from someone who has done a 4 ( or 5) speed swap and put it in.

If it is the shift linkage, you can do a floor shifter swap, if not already done. Or best yet, just junk the whole 3 speed and get a nice transmission.

Shifter do wear out. Sometimes you can get more life with a rebuild kit. The linkage may also need adjusting, but if it is out of adjustment, it is probably due to wear. Although if it is stuck in gear, the rod(s) may be bent from trying to force it.

That’s the first steps anyway….

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I had a problem like this back when my EB had a 3-speed. One of the wire springs in the fist gear synchro broke and stuck out of the gear cluster. This kept the shift collar from sliding out of first gear. I ended up pulling the tranny, taking the cover off and removing the spring. The tranny worked fine, you just had to be a little more careful shifting into first. Even if its just the shift linkage you can always tell the seller about this to try and get a better price.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
tell them the tranny is shot and knock 1 grand off the price

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I would say it's in the tranny. I am remedying this same thing today. I am pretty sure it's not the column shift pin alignments because i think that when that gets off, you get either 2nd and reverse or 1st and 3rd. Definitely work him down on price if you can.