• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats better 12 pt or 6 pt sockets?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

What's better, 6 pt or 12pt sockets and why?

I am in the garage now inventorying my tools and am replacing a few missing ones.

Thanks !

Brett

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I like 12 pt for everyday use due to the extra angles allowable to place on nut. But when working with exterior bolts where rust or excessive torque is used, 6 pt is far and away the best to keep from rounding off the shoulders.
Just my opinion, but I happen to agree with it! :p

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
I prefer 6 Point for the reasons West Tn Dawg said.

If you don't have a set, get some of those ratcheting combination wrenches. Best $100 I ever spent.

Load up on Channellock brand pliers too.

1/2" flex head ratchets are super nice to have also. Get a quality one.;)

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
6 point sockets FTW. The only time I use a 12 point socket is when the head of the bolt is 12 point to match (almost never).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
6-point is my preferred. Almost all impact sockets are 6-point.
You can cheat the 12-point flexibility by pulling the socket off the ratchet, turn 90°, and put it back on. Little more work, but grips the fastener better.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Six point sockets.
You can index the socket a quarter turn, or click the ratchet a little and get it on the bolts.

Also a pro mechanic recommended to me that I buy impact sockets, even for hand tools, they are stronger and sooner or later you will want impact tools.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
6 point for what we do. I fix airplanes for a living so I have to have 12 point for what I do, otherwise I wouldn't have any.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have to go digging through a box of "road tools" when I need a 12-point to do the ARP bolts.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
6pt sockets for 6pt heads.
12pt sockets for 12pt heads.
%) x2

The idea that a 12-pt might be necessary to get the socket onto the fastener is ridiculous, assuming your ratchet has more than 6 clicks per rev. I think my cheapest ratchet has more than 36.

I don't totally agree with the impact recommendation, though. Impact sockets have a thicker wall which sometimes doesn't fit in close-quarters. I use impact sockets whenever they DO fit, but if you can't afford a set of impacts & a set of chrome, chrome will do most jobs. And if you buy a Craftsman set, it won't matter if you crack them - they're free. Shop around Christmas for the best deals.

But if you have the time to spend shopping eBay, chrome Snap-Ons are probably stronger than Craftsman impacts, and they're also free to replace if you can track down a Snap-On truck.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
%) x2

The idea that a 12-pt might be necessary to get the socket onto the fastener is ridiculous, assuming your ratchet has more than 6 clicks per rev. I think my cheapest ratchet has more than 36.

I don't totally agree with the impact recommendation, though. Impact sockets have a thicker wall which sometimes doesn't fit in close-quarters. I use impact sockets whenever they DO fit, but if you can't afford a set of impacts & a set of chrome, chrome will do most jobs. And if you buy a Craftsman set, it won't matter if you crack them - they're free. Shop around Christmas for the best deals.

But if you have the time to spend shopping eBay, chrome Snap-Ons are probably stronger than Craftsman impacts, and they're also free to replace if you can track down a Snap-On truck.

Some good points in what you say.

But what will that Craftsman warranty be worth if/when Sears/K-mart goes under?

Probably a better idea to hunt for Snap-On on eBay and CL (and in the pawn shops maybe).

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
This may sound weird, but Harbor Freight impact sockets are nearly indestructible and are dirt cheap! I've known several mechanics who swear by them, I know I've had mine for years and have never broken any, most don't have any visible wear on them even. Their chrome sockets are typical HF junk so beware...

Another decent off brand is Grey Pneumatic, that's Mac's generic house brand, they are about the same price as Crapsman and are much better. If Craftsman is all you have, use them, they aren't like they used to be, but there are still decent tools for what 95% use them for.

Personally I think your ratchet is far more important than your socket. A good quality ratchet will make your day much more productive than fighting a crappy/rough one.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I use to have my mom and her sisters, look for craftsman tools, when they did the garage sales on the weekend. I have both 6 and 12 point, in craftsman and snap-on. I do prefer the 6 point over the 12.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think winning the lottery while being struck by lightning in a plane crash is more likely than that, but anything can happen. Snap-On could shut down, too. You can't plan for the unexpected.

Except that Sears really is going under..right here and right now.

Be very interesting to see what happens to their still-successful tool and appliance groups when the rest goes tango uniform.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
GM & Dodge have gone under a few times, too. But all my local Sears are still open & swapping out sockets free. So if they're open this Xmas season, I'd recommend buying their 6-point sockets, or a big mechanic's set.

KBUCK1

Some good points in what you say.

But what will that Craftsman warranty be worth if/when Sears/K-mart goes under?

Probably a better idea to hunt for Snap-On on eBay and CL (and in the pawn shops maybe).

Summit racing carries Craftsman

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Summit racing carries Craftsman

But neither they or Ace hardware which also sells Craftsman tools makes them.

Should Sears (K-Mart) which owns the brand go out of business where will replacements come from?

When other manufacturers have gone out of business in the past anyone needing warranty replacements or repairs has been SOL.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
When other manufacturers have gone out of business in the past anyone needing warranty replacements or repairs has been SOL.
Which specific manufacturers are you talking about? Not GM & Dodge, because they're still honoring their previous warranties. Not Jaguar & Land Rover - Tata is still honoring those warranties from when Ford owned those brands, and Ford honored their warranties from BMW, who honored the Honda warranties...

So even if Sears & Kmart crash, whoever dissolves them will undoubtedly sell Craftsman, and the new owner would have to honor the previous lifetime warranties. Why else buy the name?