• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats better J OR T

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
just wondering, are there any pro/cons to a J transfercase to a T transfercase. and if there is whats your favorite.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I'm sure most on here will point ya to a twin stick...and after that a T....I have a J and in have had a very long time and never a minutes trouble...in or out of gear..just my .02

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
T has slightly lower gearing. J has a better front output assy. The best case is a twin sticked T with the J front output assy swapped in.

I say run what you got. Not really worth spending any money to swap.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I like the gearing on the T and the front output shaft and shift rails of the J. T low gears are 2.46:1 vs 2.34:1 for the J. J uses no snap ring on front shaft and doesn't tear up the yoke like the T. J rails have better pockets for the balls.

If you can pick up a couple D20's for cheap you can mix and match those parts to build a perfect one, like mine.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
J-shift is easier to run truly independent twin sticks, since it doesn't require any internal modification. Here's a write-up on the mods for a T-shift: http://wt4x4.net/tech/twinstick.htm

The J has a low range of 2.34:1, while the T's low range is 2.46:1.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have both & was trying to decide. Lower range vs a simpler twin stick set up. I found a good deal on twin sticks for the J, so that's what is going in for now.

OP
OP
dube

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
well for the hassel the J sounds better. not much diff in the gear differance. not that most people would notice i guess.
twin stick for sure any how. and i like the look and funtion of a twin shifter.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I like the T with the shift rail mod and twin stick, it is a lot more work.