• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's on your garage floor?

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
I am building a new house and am excited to have my first garage. I want to apply some kind of sealer on the floor to prevent spills from soaking into the concrete. I can't decide if I should find some kind of floor paint or just spray Thompsons water sealer on it. I work in a machine shop with 'battleship grey' painted floors. It looks good for about 2 years then starts chipping and peeling off. Has anyone tried anything that lasts longer?

I wish Rinolinings did garages ;D
scotch

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
there is that epoxy garage floor paint that is supposed to be a very tough finish.
they have it at the home depot, and there are some professional ones that are even better.

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
floors

When you pour it you must make up your mind. A clear finish applyed at the time of concrete finish,or later will forever seal the pores of the concrete and epoxies will not grip,and will peel or flake in time, or when you try to move a car on a floor jack. A 20x24 floor in epoxy U-Coatit was pushing $450.00+, In clear same size $40.00/2gals. The clear I used came from the people that suppied the mud and was applyed after we power trowled the finished (6-7 hours) after the pour started,it seals the finish and slows down surface drying time and makes the surface harder with fewers stess cracks so its good that way,but it wears off on the surface purty fast,but it still seals the pores and oil won't soak in if you wipe it up asap. Regardless a power trowled finish with clear will make most people who use there floor for work happy or power trowl let completly dry (4 weeks +) then epoxy it, if you are showing off the floor. Or call the concrete people and ask them, most have a company store that supplies all kinds of good stuff

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I tried POR 15 after 4 weeks of concrete curing. I washed it down with muratic acid as they instructed. It is peeling off after one season. I am not real happy about that because now I have to figure out how to get the rest off and find a product that works.

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
epoxy

I bought the cheap epoxy @ lowes and put on my garage 2 years ago. I am very pleased w/ it. I spray it down w/ the hose and squege(sp?) it dry.

So far I love it. I only have a couple of complaints. First is how slippery it is when wet. My daughter has busted her ass a couple of times because of this. I was just too lazy to apply the texture material. Second is the number of coats put on. I only put one coat and I have one small place that has worn through, not come loose (where I usually put my jack stand).

But i have had it for two year and am very pleased.

DEANCURTIS17

Loc.
Northern Virginia
I threw down a checker board vinyl cover. I looks pretty cool, and real easy to clean. Just take it outside and hose it down and it's clean again. Also, when it's cold outside, it's not bad to lie down on.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
In my last house, I used a 2 part epoxy (gray). It was about $300 for 2gal of "paint" and 2 gal of catalyst. It was great. It held up well except for places where I dropped heavy tools, then it chipped a little.

It was a little slippery when wet and when I heated it with my torpedo (kerosene) heater, condensation would build up on the floor's surface.

It made up for it by ease of cleaning. Squirt it down with some 409 or degreaser, hose it down the squeege it off.

I cant remember if I got mine at Duron or Sherwin Williams, but if it matters, I can research it.

J. R.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I got mine from lowes too. I am real happy with it. Cleans up real good. I have had it for two years. I did put the chips in mine to keep it from being slick. It is a 2 part epoxy. It is gray with blue and white chips real purty.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
When I did my new garage I had the concrete installer put in some colored hardner. This really helps with the cleanup and looks good. Talk to your concret guy about this. Mine was done in light reflective white and really helps with the light in the "playpen"
TOFIC

OP
OP
S

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
Thanks for all the replies. This is real helpful. Unfortunately my concrete guys can't help me. The floor has been poured for three months and already has an oil spot from a sub-contractor's air compressor :mad: . It looks like a 2 part epoxy might be the way to go. I have an account at Sherwin Williams, I think I'll compare prices there and at the home centers and go from there. I also like the checker board vinyl idea. I might try it after I epoxy.

I'll post pics of the bronco in its new home as soon as we move in.
scotch

thesnake

Bronco Guru
scotch,

Let us know the results of your search, I'll be doing this in a few months and I am quite interested in which one you choose and why. I'm leaning towards the Lowe's stuff.

John

HILLBILLYNA68

Loc.
GRAY, TN.
scotch said:
I am building a new house and am excited to have my first garage. I want to apply some kind of sealer on the floor to prevent spills from soaking into the concrete. I can't decide if I should find some kind of floor paint or just spray Thompsons water sealer on it. I work in a machine shop with 'battleship grey' painted floors. It looks good for about 2 years then starts chipping and peeling off. Has anyone tried anything that lasts longer?

scotch
Not sure about Rhino but there are alot of companys selling a poly coating for concrete floors. Supposed to dry fast and bond really well without flaking or chipping. Do a search for Poly concrete coating on the web.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I used a two part epoxy from Home Depot. Has held up really well. Only chips are through the paint and into the concret. Would have been really slick when wet but came with a bag of paint "chips" that you sprinkle on the top immediatly after applying. They bond to the surface and provide just enough traction to keep me off my but (most of the time).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Id did the NON-EPOXY coating on my garage. It is a clear coating that lets the concrete look natural, but lets you wipe up oil spills. That was 3 years ago and it is starting to wear out. Got about 5 gallons of it at lowes for something like $45. Jaspar? Did the garage, driveway, patio, sidewalk. Most places got 2 coats, garage got 3. Very happy with it. Still looks like normal concrete, just cleans up nicely.

The epoxy will go down to hide my sins when I go to sell the house (concrete does burn if you use a plasma too close to it, and falling engine blocks will take a chip out of concrete as well)

CC135_inND

Loc.
Fayetteville, TN
scotch said:

scotch

Check this out. http://www.broncoholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=682
This is what I want to do to my garage when I finally get my own.

Nuke

I used the Home Depot/Behr product. The most important thing is the prep work--do all the steps and do them all well. First you will need to clean and degrease. The cleanser they sell will make quick work of that oil spill. Second you will need to etch the concrete. This is what allows the primer to adhere to the surface. Cleaning after the etching process is a bitch. It will take a long time. I suggest buying a larger squegy (sp?). Priming and painting comes next. If you are concern about being slippery when wet, you can add some grip material. I did this and did not like how the grip material was spread. I used a roller and the grip stuff concetrated at the upper and lower ends of the paint stroke. The gripping materials also makes is harder to clean. Overall, I'm happy. Another lesson I learned: I used a bright color and it makes my garage a lot brighter but it does show dirt more. I would go bright again but I might hand spread the grip stuff.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I used Rustolem floor paint, holds up well, but a week of brake fluid leaking on it really tore it up.
when its warmer again I will apply a 2nd coat.

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
jbeyer said:
there is that epoxy garage floor paint that is supposed to be a very tough finish.
they have it at the home depot, and there are some professional ones that are even better.

I used the Home Depot (Behr) epoxy paint... I have a brushed (yes and its h*ll) floor in my garage. I did this 3.5 years ago, color is is a deep blue. It has only come up where I have damaged the floor (dropping something on it).

I did this when I moved in, but if I remember right you have to wait 48 hrs after the last coat before you put a vehicle on the floor...