• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best bang-for-the-buck HP/Torque Add-ons?

CHALKOUTLINE

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
I have a 5.0 out of a '90 'stang, it's totally stock. It has about 60k miles on it. I didn't want to spend more than 1k on "kicking it up a notch". For obvious reasons I am looking for the additional power in the 0-3000 RPM range. It will be a daily driver too. It has a 2" lift with 31X10.5 BFG AT's. gearing is stock, it's an automatic. Any specific help or links to sites with the info is much appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!

DEANCURTIS17

Loc.
Northern Virginia
I'd look into the ignition first. Keep the stock distrib., the MSD one will give you trouble. Go for a MSD 6al box or something similar. Get the coil, wires and plugs taken care of too. This will help your throtle response greatly too.

Is it EFI or carbed? If it's an EFI there are too many things to list.

Tackle the exhaust too. Go for a full exhaust system. Just get that out of the way too.

There are many bolt on options you can buy, but the HP doesn't always add up. Becareful when you see those advertisments about 15+ hp gain, most of that is BS.

Save up and buy some new alumin. heads with a new cam if you are looking for some serious HP out of the 302.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
CHALKOUTLINE said:
I have a 5.0 out of a '90 'stang, it's totally stock. It has about 60k miles on it. I didn't want to spend more than 1k on "kicking it up a notch". For obvious reasons I am looking for the additional power in the 0-3000 RPM range. It will be a daily driver too. It has a 2" lift with 31X10.5 BFG AT's. gearing is stock, it's an automatic. Any specific help or links to sites with the info is much appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Synthetic oils are my first 'inexpensive' upgrade
Camshaft is my first kick at it. less than 200
Yours is probably EFI, so , throttle body, and air filter system les than 500
low restriction exhaust system, your choice what type. Mine was less than 300.

There goes a grand and you will see a real improvement.
TOFIC

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
best bang for the buck is a good exhaust (headers and at least 2 1/4" tail pipes) without it none of the other mods mentioned will perform at there full potental except for the syn oil suggestion stock SBF's need all the help they can get on the exhaust side of the house

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I'd open it up to breathe a throttle body/ air filter/intake to inhale and a big exhaust,and or headers to exhale. If you are in to doing the work yourself you could also port and polish the heads intake and exhaust ports for nothing or next to nothing. Just takes a little grinding. Then I'd go with a cam/rockers. You should get nice hp/tourque gains. I didn't have electronic ignition so after I did the breathing I went for a MSD 6AL and MSD billet Dist.
I saw a little gain up until the MSD. After getting rid of the points I saw a HUGE Gain.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
DEANCURTIS17 said:
I'd look into the ignition first. Keep the stock distrib., the MSD one will give you trouble. Go for a MSD 6al box or something similar. Get the coil, wires and plugs taken care of too. This will help your throtle response greatly too.

Why do think the MSD dist. are bad? I have their 6AL box, and pro-billet dist. and their blaster coil and wires. My box went out in less than a year, but they replaced it. This seems to be MSD's problem, the ign. boxes. Is there a notorious problem with their dist? ?:?

Not to hijack- the whole ignition upgrade was very well worth it... ;)
Oh, another really significant upgreade for under a grand would be to get a nice set of heads off Ebay.

OP
OP
C

CHALKOUTLINE

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
Thanks and if you think of more, keep typing!

To answer a few questions, it is EFI, standered chip in the computer, i have dual 2 1/2 in and out exhaust with 3 chamber flomasters (no headers yet).
To add a few...
Which heads should I look for? I also thought the intake off of late 90's explorers were vere much like the GT40 intake so how much will that help? Also will larger (higher) PSI injectors make a big difference? With the injectors I believe I would need to change the Mass air sensor and a few other parts too, right? I love this forum!!!! Everyone is soooooo HELPFUL!!!!
Thanks Again!!!!!!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Heads, exhaust are the best places to start...the intake and injectors will be OK, but some GT-40/explorer intakes would be better. The Explorer heads are good, but bring header/exhaust issues due to their different exhaust port and sprk plg angles. Do your exhaust 1st, then see if you want to get new heads. The article above at carcraft was impressive.