• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the Best Electric Fuel Pump for SEFI 302?

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
I'm finishing up installing the 87' SEFI 302 and am getting to the point of a Fuel Pump and want you ropinions on what's worked best for most of you.

It currenly has 14lb inj. but may be upgraded later to either 19 or 24lbs so that's one thing to keep in mind.

TIA

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I've had excellent luck using the Carter low pressure (sucker) pump and the Walbro Hi pressure in line pump.
The model numbers, psi & flow, connectors, and pictures are in my EFI Install tech article on the left.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'm using the '86 F250 w/ 5.0 pump- it's a frame mount, 88 liters/hour model. Does the job for me. If your engine is stock or nearly stock, it will provide plenty of flow.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I should add that I'm using a low pressure pump that looks identical to the one that Edge4 is using- in my case, it's also made by Carter, but with a Carter part number- P4594. Same specs for flow and pressure. Summit sells them for half of what my local Napa wanted. Nice and quiet, they are a rotary vane type rather than a diaphragm.

The F250 pump high pressure pump looks just like the Walbro. If I recall correctly, Walbro makes a couple of frame mount models. If you are running a stock motor, the 90 liter/hour pump is plenty.

cobranco

Loc.
Zeeland,MI
I'm using the 255lph Walbro pump on my 393 w/36lb injectors. I took the noisy sucker pump off to see how well it would work without it. So far I can't tell a difference with or without the sucker pump. I'm not convinced the Walbro needs a sucker pump because it'll draw/push mine starting with empty fuel lines. I friend of mine has my old stock F250 pump and does't run a sucker pump either.

OP
OP
67halfcab

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=cobranco link=board=5;threadid=16090;start=0#msg122344 date=1049732382]
I'm using the 255lph Walbro pump on my 393 w/36lb injectors. I took the noisy sucker pump off to see how well it would work without it. So far I can't tell a difference with or without the sucker pump. I'm not convinced the Walbro needs a sucker pump because it'll draw/push mine starting with empty fuel lines. I friend of mine has my old stock F250 pump and does't run a sucker pump either.
[/quote]

I'm intrigued with the one pump setup. Where did you get it from? and do you think that it would work with stock SEFI setup w/14lb injectors? or be too much pump?

Is there even such a problem? too much pump? ;D

cobranco

Loc.
Zeeland,MI
The only time too much pump is bad is when the fuel lines restict it. The pump will cavitate if it cannot move the fuel. I would suggest just using the stock F250 pump from NAPA. It'll be a Walbro pump. Thats what I used with 19# injectors. As mentioned earlier, my friend has this pump and doesn't need the sucker pump. Thats what influenced me to try it without the sucker pump, and it seems to work fine.

I got my 255lph pump from one of the Mustang sites, but I'd be willing to bet you can get it thru Napa as well. The part numbers (Walbro) were only one number different from the stock F250 pump and the 255lph pump.

KST1

I'm a one pumper also. Stock F250 ('96?) pump bought at Autozone. It has worked great for over 2.5 years now.

-D

OP
OP
67halfcab

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=KST1 link=board=5;threadid=16090;start=0#msg122672 date=1049823415]
I'm a one pumper also. Stock F250 ('96?) pump bought at Autozone. It has worked great for over 2.5 years now.

-D
[/quote]

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help. Now it's off to the parts store. :D

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
same here, I run two of the f-250 pumps (one on each tank in case one fails all I have to do is flip the stock switch on the dash) no problems after two years