• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best front axle pinion angle with BC Broncos Adjustable radius arms

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What ever angle is needed to get you the proper caster angle on the front end alignment.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have manual or power steering? I assume power with that size lift (and the usual associated tires), but you can get away with more caster with power because more positive caster does tend to make it harder to steer with manual.

Anyway, a "decent" amount of Positive Caster might be 2 to 3 degrees with manual steering, and 4.5 to 6 with power. You can get away with, and some people here use, more caster than that even, but it's not specifically required.

Unless you're set up to measure your own caster (how are you at math & geometry?), the only way to tell what you need is to find out what you have. And the best way to tell what you have is to take it to an alignment shop and have them give you a full readout on what the current settings are.

I don't know if the BC arms can have too much adjustment, but if you can't take it to an alignment shop, or just don't care to go through all that, and have power steering and large tires, maybe just set the arms to their max offset and see what you end up with.
From there you can have the alignment checked and see if you're in the ballpark or not.

The biggest issue I see in doing it that way, is that the more caster correction you apply, the worse off your pinion angle is. To the point that you could literally bind the u-joint. So obviously, you have to at least look at that when you're setting it up.
If you can't get enough caster angle to achieve good road-manners without killing your u-joints, then you're going to have to cut, turn and re-weld the outer steering yokes (commonly called the "outer C's").

But you won't know until you get there. So give it a whirl.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Paul,

I will set it to the max offset and take it to get aligned and go from there. It has power steering with ram assist Appreciate the insight and advice!

Mike

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good. Just make sure that the maximum offset isn't going to bind your joints. You should be able to tell pretty easily though, as you're setting it up.

Oh, and by the way, which bushings are you putting in with the arms? Not still the 7 degree ones? I should have asked that first. If so, I would think you would not really want the maximum unless it was totally called for. So just be aware of too much downward angle on your pinion and you should be good.

Guess I better go back and check out Chuck's design and see if I can think of anything I might be saying that would be steering you wrong.
Pun intended... ;D

Paul

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Paul,

Have the 7 degrees in there as that was what the guy I got the axle from was running. The adjustment is done with a bolt that runs front to back close to where radius arms bolt into the plates. Have a slight bow in the front springs right now. Looks by cranking the bolt, it will eliminate the springs bowing and pinion angle should be good. It is a high pinion Dana 44, so no worries on binding the u joints.

Mike

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahhh, a high-pinion axle too eh? That's possibly a benefit, as they would have not only had more caster specified, but would probably have had a more accurate build by then. Caster was a major issue with the earlier EB's because the axles were not jigged up right or something. Later full-size ones are not prone to that issue that I"m aware of.

The spring bow fix sounds like a nice bonus.
Let us know how it all turns out.

Paul

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Will do. Also looking like the Milodon deep sump Oil pan will have to come out before I do any serious wheeling. The High Pinion will hit on the driver side if the pan if the drivers side suspension is fully compressed.

Mike