• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's your suggestion in handling this

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
One of my EBs has rust on the front grille from snow plowing. NO chemicals were used in the plowing processas this was just enlisted to plow a steep 1/2 mile driveway in the North GA mountains a time or two each year and some years not at all. Also, the nose of the truck stuck out from the wood shed so it received regular rain over the past 40 years.

I the rust is not through in any area and the steel is solid, but there is pitting. I am thinking that having this blasted is the best solution, but once done, will I need to skim the remaining pitting with some filler to really bring the metal back before painting, or will the blasting smooth it and help me avoid any filler? Any advice or input on this is appreciated.

Mac

Attachments

• 1974EB_clayton.jpg
    1974EB_clayton.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 108

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
With the time and expense of blasing and filling the pits and sanding, why not just buy new and paint it?

If not going for a total restored rig, I would just blast it and paint it. Who cares about some pitting. JMO

Tim

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the suggestion, but $75 in blasting (price local gave me to do it) and some minor putty and sanding IMO beats a new one $475 +shipping. Of course, I can find a used one for less, but hate letting a good, straight grille go to waste. I am going to keep stock but want it to be in good condition as well, but not a full paint job, just block sanded and sealed. Just wanting to know it my anticipated process will take care of it without too much work.

With the time and expense of blasing and filling the pits and sanding, why not just buy new and paint it?

If not going for a total restored rig, I would just blast it and paint it. Who cares about some pitting. JMO

Tim

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Also not all fillers are "filler" there is what is referred to as "bondo" (which is unfortunate as bondo is a decent product when used correctly) type fillers which are the hack job way of fixing dents and major defects and there is filler as in skim coating. There is nothing wrong with skim coating a surface with filler to level minor imperfections, it's really just a thinker primer. That is not the same as sticking a resin in a huge void instead of properly repairing a dent. Even a brand new part should be skimmed to remove minor imperfections, if the goal is show quality, which I don't think is what you are going for, but the point is filler is not universally a bad thing and leveling some pitting after proper rust repair is exactly what it's proper use is for, personally I would take a grinder to the pitting as well to smooth it out, and then run a skim coat over the area to smooth the whole thing out.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
High build primer and lots of sanding will take out the pitting. But you may need to break out the filler in bad areas.
You know, I'm looking for a bronco.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
You won't really know the extent of the pitting until you blast it. If after blasting you still think the pitting looks ugly...you can skim with some filler/bondo to make it perfect.

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
High build primer and lots of sanding will take out the pitting. But you may need to break out the filler in bad areas.
You know, I'm looking for a bronco.

Thanks guys, my thoughts as well but always good to check with those who have handled the same issues.

And Bax, if I find one up this way for you I will let you know! ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks guys, my thoughts as well but always good to check with those who have handled the same issues.

And Bax, if I find one up this way for you I will let you know! ;D

Bullshit! your keeping all the good ones.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
X2 on what Bronconut said,just today I spayed my upper quarter panel with high build primer,came out great,and I had them sand blasted ,ground down to bare metal and then the primer,just have to be patient,good luck,Jim ;)

73project

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Blasting and then running a skim coat over all those grill holes? I hope that you have saint-like patience, fingers made of steel, and nothing but time! I'm thinking that about half way through that project, a new grill will be delivered to your door.