• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whatsyour favorite carb and why

Oatmeal

Rochester Q-jet, ran them on two different motors.....next best thing to EFI;)-------Hans

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Edelbrock 1403. Edelbrock's parts and tech support are unbeatable. With a couple of small changes it runs great at angle and is very smooth. Blocking the fuel crossover, stiffer enrichment springs, and a Cagle pressure regulator were all it needed. I'm very happy with it!;)

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have a "modified" rochester q-jet on my 351. I have had motorcraft 2brrl, 4 brrl, Holly, Edlbrock, and even ventured into the EFI. The q jet, while a bit tricky to finally get dialed in, has been the best so far both on the street and on the trail. I pulled it out of the box it was stored infor two years while running EFI, bolted it on and it started right up. Simple to diagnose if there is trouble(why the efi isgone) and much more economical than any other 4brrl I ran in the past

VT_Don

I'm a huge fan of 660 center squirters. A pure race carburetor with no choke and primitive idle circuit. But like all Holleys well supported with a near infinite combination of jet sizes, discharge nozzles and pump cams. The acceleration they yield when transitioning to WOT from highway speed is frightening. All four venturis work equally together for optimum fuel distribution. Paired on a dual quad, side oiler as used at LeMans on GT40s the deafening roar has no equal.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Broncos, nor did you reference such.

polarman

Loc.
Bovina Center, NY
Another vote for the Rochester Q-jet. Cheap, easy to rebuild, and they keep delivering fuel at extreme angles when offroading. Did I mention cheap?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
carb

Qjet all the way... 15yrs on Qjets. Done Moab, Rubicon, lot's of wheeling and NEVER had a stumbling issue in any situation.

Tried Edelbrock's off road kits and they're pretty good, can't compare to the Qjet tho.

Economy on a 2,000 mile round trip to Rubicon and back with 8 other Broncos I got the best mileage the entire trip--4 guys were running SEFI 5.0's and I had a qjet on a 351W running 35's.

Hard to beat.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow that was not the answers I expected to see. Most every one was on 4 bbl but I was going to say My favorite in the plan stock 2300 ....
I'll agree that Qjets are a good carb. but man when they 1st came out people hated them. But after the remans people figured out how to fix them it is a good carb all the way around.
..I wanted to say what Ransil said below .. EFI fuel just doesn't bounce out of the EFI.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
I'll be that guy.. EFI... ;D
I have only seen one carb run right on the trail and it was a stock bronco 2 bdl.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
carb

Hmmm, didn't tell us you wanted a 2bbl... : - ) I'd say the stock Autolite is a great off-road carb. Worthless for snow or sand tho. Can't get the rpm's you need-quickly.

Really need headers and a good exhaust with the qjet tho. You will flow a bunch more air when getting good rpms.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Autolite 4100. Bomb proof like the 2 barrel 2100, but ready to rock and roll anytime, anywhere. And sized to fit a 302. The other carbs were not from Ford and have one issue or another in my experience.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have had the stock 2 barrel, holly 2 barrel, holly vac secondary 4 barrel. The edelbrock and the carter afb and if you do offroad especialy where hot and high altitude the Quadrajet wins hands down. The others don't come close where I operate. In the same day I can be between seal level and 8,000 feet in elevation and between 50 degrees to 105 degrees in temperature. A properly prepaired Quadrajet is second only to fuel injection but a far less complicated a system. Flat pavement you can run anything as long as its set up properly. When the going gets tough and your rig and health are in jeporady get a Quadrajet or fuel injection.