• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel and tire rant!

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
So I've been and off road vehicles since the mid-80s. Seen lots of changes Over the years with designs in different areas. One I can't seem to find appealing is large wheels on an off road vehicle. I don't mean big tires, I mean large wheels with what appears to low profile off road tires. Now I love a bigger wheel on a street vehicle low rider or whatever, but to see anything bigger than a 17" on a bronco looks rediculous IMO. Even a 17" wheel diminishes a 35 inch tire compared to a 15" wheel. I realize there can be issues with brake size, weight, back spacing..........but there's nothing like a fat sidewall of a tire to go along with that bronco or whatever your 4x4 of choice is. So now with this movement 15" tires are becoming fewer and fewer. I guess I will have to stay with super swampers or maxxis to get anything good over 35". Am I the only one? I also realize that it's supply and demand and I'm probably one of the only people that do not like this. %)
Jeff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I got lucky and found me a good older/barely used set of Goodyear MTRs

Feel your pain man

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Somewhat agree with that.
On a classic type of 4x4 I like the wheel to be no more than half the tire diameter.
So to my eye a 17 inch wheel with a 34 inch tire looks okay.

20 inch wheels with 33 inch tires?
Did you miss the memo about these being classic Broncos?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I agree 100%, I don't even like those big wheels/low sidewall tires on a new pickup much less a classic.

thorgan

I've had 38" tires on 15" wheels and currently run 37" tires on 17" wheels. Much prefer the handling of the 37's on 17's. The steering is much more responsive with the shorter sidewalls. Plus, I can fit much bigger brakes under the 17's. That being said, the only reason I'd even consider going to 20" wheels would be for even bigger brakes...which is completely unnecessary since the hydroboost and 1 ton rotors will plant my face on the windshield as it is.

Outside of the above, I can see no reason to go with something like a 20" rim and a 33" tire.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I think no bigger than 17's on a bronco and that is only if you are running at least a 37" tire

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I agree with you guys!

On a past rig, I ran 37s with 18" wheels because they were an awesome package deal. They handled well on the road but I never cared for the look. Also, the wheels got rock rash on nearly every 4 wheeling trip.

Just replaced the tires on the Bronco with 35x13.50x15 Toyos M/Ts!

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
15" for 35's and 17" for 37's work for me for many reasons besides just looks. Like you said, you can put larger disc brakes with 17" wheels so it makes a lot of sense especially for racing. I've already invested in 9 tires with 15" beadlock wheels so to change would be too costly at this point.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I agree though I am running 17's on 35's. They actually have the same sidewall ratio as a 33 on a 15 and many have looked at it and asked if it was 33's on 15's. Now the benefit on road is HUGE, handling is crisp, no sidewall sway etc. and it looks in proportion IMHO. Now if I was building an off road only truck then yes I would want more sidewall for airing down etc. in that application but I absolutely agree, I cannot stand the few I have seen with 20" wheels, they just do not look right on a bronco.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
And to think I was looking at 17' rims and 34's.....so much hate for that setup.......LOL

I think part of it can be the rim and the style of rim. A 17 with simulated beadlock looks good to me

Tim

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I considered using 16 inch, but found tire selection is limited to non existent unless you use 17. That, and I wanted my two 4x4's, one a jeep, to use the same sized tire just in case... I can do that at 17.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
You are not alone. My opinion of the 18's on up is, well, unprintable :p:-X

NC_Pinz

I've got a set of 33" used tires off my son's rig mounted on new 17" rims ready for my EB coming in the spring. Eventually I'll mount 35" tires which I think works well on a 17" rim.

Now I have run 20" steel rims on a truck but they were 44" Continental tires. Worked fine off road.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you mean guys dont like when they put 26 inch wheels on a H2 Hummer and have anout an inch of tire showing.
i like my 15 s with 35 s

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My build is currently sitting on 17s but thinking about switching out with 16".