• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Offset

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
I have a 73 with a 3.5 wild horses lift. Getting ready to buy tires and wheels. Going with a 35x12.5 tire and a 16 x 8 in wheel. Does anybody know what offset I should go with. I want the least amount as possible without too much rubbing. Thanks in advance.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
This is my favorite backspace and offset calculator:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

It all comes down to what brand & style of wheels interest you and that manufactures selection of available sizes. Depending on your objectives, one thing you may notice (using this calculator) is that a 15x10 rim vs. 15x8 rim, would push your tire clearance further outward if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

[Edit]
Might help if I finished reading your post. For the least amount of offset (max backspace) to tuck your tires within the fenders as much as possible; one of the best rims to do this are the late model Ford/Alcoa rims. They are a 15x7.5 rim with a 4.125 backspace (that's like a -4 offset!). They are about as close as you can come to clearing the drums/rotors, tie-rods, etc. while pushing the tires in as much as possible.

OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
I was looking at those wheels, but it is getting harder to find 15 in tires. I found the tires that i want now on a 16 x8 wheel. I just wanted to see if anybody else was running anything this size and if they knew what offset would work so I do t rub the arms while turning. Thanks for the website. I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure something out.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
A 3.5" BS was perfect for me with cut fenders, that was years ago when i had 35s. Try not to go beyond 4" BS bc rim may hit steering rod.

OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
Crawdad-

Does 3.5" mean half inch off center? Sorry for the dumb question but I have talked to a lot of people and they all explain it differently.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Not sure of the "proper wording" but if you lay the wheel (good side) facing down, take a straight edge across back of wheel, and measure from bottom straight edge to inside flange (where lugnuts holes are at). Forgive me for forgetting the positive offset vs negative offset. You also need to make sure hub holes fit an early bronco (I learned the hard way).

Bout two years ago I had 37x12.50s on a set of 17x9s w/ 3.5" BS and I loved that look (look at my pics on this website or newest Bronco Driver Mag). It may have stuck out about 1.5" to 2" beyond flare. It rubbed very lil until I go in a ditch and flexed. I still have a 3.5" SL & 2" BL on my bronco, but recently installed skinny 33s.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Good luck finding those 35s on a 16. I thought those were pretty tuff to find, if not very expensive.

OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
Did it. 35 x 12.5 bfg a/t on 16x8 in wheels with 3.5 in wild horses lift. Minimal rubbing at full lockout. No problems. Still going to cut front fenders.
amazyzu7.jpg

OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
They are ultra wheels. 16x8. -6 offset(1/4in). I'm very happy with them. Found them online and ordered them through discount. They had the best price I could find. Found on ultrawheels.com

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
They are ultra wheels. 16x8. -6 offset(1/4in). I'm very happy with them. Found them online and ordered them through discount. They had the best price I could find. Found on ultrawheels.com

Does that equate to 4.25" backspacing or 3.75" backspacing?

OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
From how it was explained to me, negative means the center line is more towards the back. The measurement is in mm. 24 mm in one inch. -6 mm is 1/4in. Tire sticks out a 1/4in more from the hub.