• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where has my VIN gone?

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
The sticker on the door post where the VIN is has a problem. It says void all over it and I can't read everything. I have the actual VIN number, but I can't get the color code, tranny code, DSO code, etc. So, (1) why is there void all over my VIN sticker? (2) Is there another place to get the color info and all the other stuff (I don't know what I'm missing so I don't know what's all on there). (3) ...Actually there are just 2 questions. I have been looking at broncohio.com and there tech article on the VIN stuff and it says something about getting it form the glovebox, but it's not there. Oh, and the bronco is a '74. Thank you for all of your help in advance.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
The other place you should be able to find a VIN is on the top of the passenger side frame rail, slightly behind the firewall. May need some wire brushing to see it.

Mullett

Loc.
Manassas, VA
Vin Location

I have no Idea about the VOID in the door post sticker - Unless that was a DMV requirement when someone put a different body on a different frame?
The VIn should be able to be located in the top of the frame rail - Passenger side - On the downward curve - able to be seen from the inside of the engine bay. You might need to steel wool it to get it to show through. i have heard of it being stamped on the drivers side kick panel as well. But check that frame spot I think that is in the same spot for every year.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
No, the headers are in the way. I can't get my hand underneath to rub it and the only thing I could read on the frame was "corrosion" lol. When I non-oped the bronco afew years back, they gave me a paper and the VIN on it was U15GLU75322 just no color code. Right now it's red with a white top, but it looks like under the red there is some white, so I wanted to see what the original color was.

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
The only place I know of that has all those other codes like color, axle, etc is the riveted tag on the inside of the glove box door. I believe you indicated you dont have a glove box door so I think you are out of luck on that unless you can find some original paper work from the truck.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
Well, that just sucks! lol

I guess when the time comes I will just repaint it the same color that it is. Sometimes I get a little pissed at previous owners.

Hogback

I would want to find that frame VIN if that was my Bronco, it's possible it could be stolen. not trying to be negative, but it is possible, or maybe some other mishap could've happened where the title was switched to go with the original body or something.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
I doubt it was stolen because when I non-oped it at DMV nothing came up and the few characters on the void sticker I can see do actually match the vin I gave DMV. If I can't get to the frame vin I guess I'll give it up, unless I see a stolen bronco description matching mine of course.

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
I don't realy understand this thread. Who cares what color it was when it left the factory? It isn't that color now, and when you repaint it you can paint it any color of the rainbow.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
On a 74 the VIN plate should be in the glove box the sticker on the door post is not used to verify the VIN. Ive seen quite a few of the door stickers with nothing on them The VIN number itself doesnt tell you color or much else except for series code ie U15 engine code ie G = 302. assembly plant code L = michigan truck plant, and the rest is production number and yours matches the 74 model year production code.
You may not have a stolen truck but I would suspect at least the tub has been replaced and the PO removed the glove box VIN to avoid confusion why they didnt keep the orginal glove box door is beyond me unless they had a 74 title and a different year bronco without a title and decided to make it a 74. Either way it sounds fishy.
You can contact Ford and they can tell you how your bronco left the factory or you can get with a company named martini they will give you a full report and can reproduce VIN plates and door post stickers

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
Rellingneb, Maybe I'm just sentimental and would like the original color. Is that a crime?

Thanks Broncnaz, That sounds possible, the glovebox door is some aftermarket chrome one that I have never seen and the box itself is an aftermarket carboard one with cloth inlay. I wonder if the whole thing is a case of just not thinking. Do you have the link to that martini site. I looked it up and all got was something about an alcoholic beverage of the same name. Lol, I don't know what that was al about. I'll try Ford if you don't have the link. Thanks either way.

stlkikn

Generally "void" appears on the door post vin stickers if someone tears the protective plastic coating off the tag.... it's there to help prevent tampering.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
well you can also send the vin to ford and they will send you a build sheet and then that should telly ou the color. you will have to call them or search for build sheets, i dont have the info

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
stlkikn said:
Generally "void" appears on the door post vin stickers if someone tears the protective plastic coating off the tag.... it's there to help prevent tampering.

Ditto was just at the pick and pull and saw that exact thing where the sticker was void, void, void,

Baja71

Bronco Guru
bluebronco69 said:
well you can also send the vin to ford and they will send you a build sheet and then that should telly ou the color. you will have to call them or search for build sheets, i dont have the info

I think you have to have the door post sticker info as well as the VIN.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
You can contact Ford and they can tell you how your bronco left the factory or you can get with a company named martini they will give you a full report and can reproduce VIN plates and door post stickers

I know they make data plates, but not so sure about the door post data sticker. You can get a Monroney window sticker for it too!

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
Monroney sticker, that would be pretty cool. I hope there is nothing wrong with the Bronco, either way, I'm not going to go looking for trouble. It has a title and plates and all so I sincerely hope it is legit. Oh, and I looked at the sticker and I can see a corner of the top layer that wasn't peeled off. That just sucks. I guess my next plan on action is to contact Ford, my favorite people. :)

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Project_bronco said:
No, the headers are in the way. I can't get my hand underneath to rub it and the only thing I could read on the frame was "corrosion" lol. When I non-oped the bronco afew years back, they gave me a paper and the VIN on it was U15GLU75322 just no color code. Right now it's red with a white top, but it looks like under the red there is some white, so I wanted to see what the original color was.

Just to throw another wrench in here...If it was two-tone, you would have white under the other color...at the factory, mine was painted all white, then the red was painted over the white.