• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where has my VIN gone?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Project_bronco said:
Monroney sticker, that would be pretty cool. I hope there is nothing wrong with the Bronco, either way, I'm not going to go looking for trouble. It has a title and plates and all so I sincerely hope it is legit. Oh, and I looked at the sticker and I can see a corner of the top layer that wasn't peeled off. That just sucks. I guess my next plan on action is to contact Ford, my favorite people. :)

If you're in question of the legitimacy of the vehicle, you might want to go ahead with the investigation prior to investing any more money into it. If you sink a bunch of money into it and it's determined to be stolen for instance, I think the rightful owner gets it back lock, stock and barrel. New paint and all. Try to use a mirror to find the frame VIN.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
Well, I can say that currently it is not two tone... %)

I will try to find the frame vin. I hope it wasn't stolen, if so, the owner has been broncoless for at least the 4 years I have owned it. I kind of doubt it though, because of the state of disrepare it was in. It didn't even run and the wiring was jacked up. So it would've been hard to steal, though anything is possible.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
Unless it was sanded to bare metal when it was repainted, you should be able sand it down to the original color. My 76 has been repainted twice, and I have been doing some minor body work on it. In the process it has become obvious that it was originally orange. Since you are going to paint it anyway do a little sanding in the engine bay or behind the license plate.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
pinenuts said:
Unless it was sanded to bare metal when it was repainted, you should be able sand it down to the original color. My 76 has been repainted twice, and I have been doing some minor body work on it. In the process it has become obvious that it was originally orange. Since you are going to paint it anyway do a little sanding in the engine bay or behind the license plate.

Huh, why didn't I think of that? Good idea.

Just out of curiousity, did they prime these things?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Project_bronco said:
Huh, why didn't I think of that? Good idea.

Just out of curiousity, did they prime these things?

Yes, they used red oxide primer. You might find traces in your wheel wells and the underside of the floor where Ford never put on a topcoat. :eek:

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Ford Build Sheets

Jon (admin) just posted the info in another thread recently. I've gotten the ford customer service letters and while they aren't briming with tons of info, they do have the color, options etc...

I have one posted on my webpage at:

http://broncohalfcab.classicbroncos.com/photo3.html

I've got one for every bronco I've ever owned.

John

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i called ford and asked them for one of those vehicle reports well over a year ago, never got one. good luck on yours!