• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where is the Back-up lamp/reverse lights switch on my c4?

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
this has come up in another thread. i have the original Ford shop manuals and they place the back-up lamp switch on the steering column inside engine compartment for broncos with 3 speed tranny. thats a c4 right? but some guys are telling me its on the c4 itself. i cralled under and looked for it but cant see it or where it would go. any help would be so appreciated. where is it in relationship to the shift linkage? what does it look like. the manuals show it like a small button in a housing with 2 prong like plugs. i have all my lights working except my reverse lights! I'm on a mission. TIA

-Mike-

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
It's right where the kickdown level goes into the trans. Its gray and kind of oval shape with wires coming out of it. To get it off the trans you need to remove the kickdown lever and 2 3/8" bolts. I could get you a picture of it but I'm done for the evening and all cleaned up. I just got through dropping the C4 again.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
go to the bronco vendor websites and find it in their online catalog. That will give you an idea what to look for. If all else fails, find the wiring harness that plugs in near the throttle linkage and follow it down to the tranny. This switch is the neutral safety switch and reverse lights switch. good luck

OP
OP
utahmike

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
ahh-ha! I know the wires your talking about. it's real hard since they are the only wires running down to the c4. i couldnt see the switch itself. Is it inside the linkage or should i be able to see it without removing anything?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
utahmike said:
ahh-ha! I know the wires your talking about. it's real hard since they are the only wires running down to the c4. i couldnt see the switch itself. Is it inside the linkage or should i be able to see it without removing anything?

You don't have to remove anything. Follow those wires right to the switch. It may be all covered with grease and look the same as the surrounding trans. if you clean it off, it will be gray/red. It has a plastic housing. Remove the kickdown linkage nut, remove the kickdown linkage, remove the 2 hold down bolts and slide the switch off the shaft. This is all fresh in my mind since I just installed mine a few weeks ago. I did the C4 conversion 2.5 years ago and never installed the neutral safety/reverse light switch. I now have reverse lights for the first time.

Bama John

Loc.
Huntsville Alabama
Is this reverse switch & the neutral safety switch one of the same ? I have a wire hanging from the drivers side of my C4,it will start in gear and no reverse lights.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Bama John said:
Is this reverse switch & the neutral safety switch one of the same ? I have a wire hanging from the drivers side of my C4,it will start in gear and no reverse lights.

Yes, one and the same. Has a harness with 4 wires I believe. Sounds like yours is unplugged and hanging.

Bama John

Loc.
Huntsville Alabama
Yep,these wires have been burnt on mine,whats on the other end so i can find it and re-attach,and whats on the other side of the fire wall and possibly colors incase it doesnt exist.

OP
OP
utahmike

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
here it is! i was thinking it looked a little different. this is exactly what i could feel under all the mud and grease. thanks for the help.

JBG reverse lights/ nuetral switch on c4
WIRSAFTEYSWCH.JPG

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have any of you guys spliced your new Centech wiring into that harness? I have to attach the neutral safety wire and the two reverse light wires, but don't know where/who to connect to. I can use the W.A.G. method, but if any of you know the specific wiring to splice, it sure would be helpful.8)

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
LSUpete said:
Have any of you guys spliced your new Centech wiring into that harness? I have to attach the neutral safety wire and the two reverse light wires, but don't know where/who to connect to. I can use the W.A.G. method, but if any of you know the specific wiring to splice, it sure would be helpful.8)
Pete, do you need the color code for the ford side or the centech side? I can get you the ford side.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Ford side would be helpful. Mine is a '75 Sport.