• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to get driveshaft boot for long spline shaft?

uncle ray

you do not want to put a boot on your driveshaft.

or your shocks for that matter. they will do more harm than good.

i'm curious why you'd even want to put one on your driveshaft.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
At Checker (Kragen in Calif) They have some boots for shocks that are more of a silicone rubber material that is a little better than the plastic boots that shocks come with .

you do not want to put a boot on your driveshaft.

or your shocks for that matter. they will do more harm than good.

I'm curious why you'd even want to put one on your driveshaft.

I have used Shock boots on mine. I have extra long spines and slip yoke on it and the is a lot of greasy spline exposed.

Uncle Ray, how can this do harm to a drive shaft or shocks?

I've never heard that boots on your shocks does harm to them, if it did I don't think any shock would come from the manufacturer with them. You find boots on most front wheel drive vehicles to protect joints from dirt, slip joints on steering columns are protected by boots, and drive shaft produced from Tom Woods one of the most recognized name in drive shafts is wasting his time and his customers money buy installing a boot on their shafts.

IMO The only thing that does harm to drive shafts is the lack of maintenance, excessive power use and rocks.

The drive shaft is something I check and service after ever wheeling trip. Grease splines, ujoints, and the ball in the carden joint.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
At Checker (Kragen in Calif) They have some boots for shocks that are more of a silicone rubber material that is a little better than the plastic boots that shocks come with .

I have used Shock boots on mine. I have extra long spines and slip yoke on it and the is a lot of greasy spline exposed.

Uncle Ray, how can this do harm to a drive shaft or shocks?

I've never heard that boots on your shocks does harm to them, if it did I don't think any shock would come from the manufacturer with them. You find boots on most front wheel drive vehicles to protect joints from dirt, slip joints on steering columns are protected by boots, and drive shaft produced from Tom Woods one of the most recognized name in drive shafts is wasting his time and his customers money buy installing a boot on their shafts.

IMO The only thing that does harm to drive shafts is the lack of maintenance, excessive power use and rocks.

The drive shaft is something I check and service after ever wheeling trip. Grease splines, ujoints, and the ball in the carden joint.

I've always heard that boots trap water and moisture and promote the formation of rust. Makes sense, so I've never used them.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The reason the boots gets curd in them is people use zip ties to hold them on. This is more on the shocks then on a drive shaft. The boots on drive shafts that I've seem are clamped on.

Eugene

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to agree that shock boots seem to do more harm that good over the long term when used on shocks. And many of them have small drain holes in them that cannot be sealed off..probably to allow for movement of the bellows without casuing compression. I do use shock boots on my drive shaft slip splines though..

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I end up in water all the time and never had a corrosion problem with shocks with boots on them. Now it is rare that I let the Bronco sit for long periods of time without driving so the shocks are always moving.

The boot on the drive shaft needs nothing to hold it where I want it, it is long enough it be tight against the yoke and the shaft tube. water finds its way out by gravity. It always has a hole rubbed in it somewhere.

OP
OP
O

OsideDave

I was at a tradeshow in Anaheim today and stumbled across these for free. My OD on the front shaft is 2.0" and these are 2.25" but perhaps I can ziptie or clamp one on.

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9