• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to lift/hoist a Bronco from

honeybee

Loc.
Madera
Hey! I just got a new Bend Pak asymetrical lift. Just curious where you guys place the lift pads on your Bronco when lifting it. Thanks for any help you can give me. I dont want to mess it up!

Ranchtruck

They're kind of awkward. One thing to watch for is putting the lift feet on the radius arms going to the front axle. As the weight is lifted off the axle, those arms angle down and either pull the bronco forward off the lift or slip the arms out backwards. Sometimes they hold until you yank on something, then they pull the truck off the lift. So as tempting and sturdy a lift point as they are, do not use the front radius arms.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I use straps to make sure the arms do not slide or the bronco move.

someday I will make an adapter to better grab the frame.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
There is no real good place to lift them from. What I do is put 2 lengths of 2 1/2'' square tubing from axle to axle. Then I lift from the tubing. It works good, plus it lifts very even.. and the bronco wont slip off.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Last time I had mine on a 2 post, it almost fell off.

I like the tubing from axle to axle that bax mentioned.

Tim

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of you know my lift horror story. 1973 fully restored beauty with all of the original unrusted metal took a nose dive from full lift. $10,000 worht of bidy shop repairs later it looks as good as new but had to get after market rockers, doors and replace the original hard top and auxillary tank. I haven't put it on there since but I really feel comfortable with Bax's idea. New weekend project.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Some of you know my lift horror story. 1973 fully restored beauty with all of the original unrusted metal took a nose dive from full lift. $10,000 worht of bidy shop repairs later it looks as good as new but had to get after market rockers, doors and replace the original hard top and auxillary tank. I haven't put it on there since but I really feel comfortable with Bax's idea. New weekend project.

You should have pics of this in your gallery to remind folks what can happen

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I put my rear arms on the rear frame spring mount and the front I put on the radius arm bracket most of the time, some times I put them on the radius arms. It is a good idea to have 4 short pieces of chain and connect it to each arm with a chain as a back up and even if it slips off the pad it will still not fall.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Seems like there is really no "best way" to lift them! Keep the input coming...

I worked under mine on and off for 8 months on an asymmetrical lift. I put the fronts as far forward on the radius arms as possible, and used two cut 2x4 squares under the rear frame just forward of the front leaf spring mounts. I know what guys are saying about being careful, but I guess I'm just naturally paranoid about things like that in general, so I'm a bit ADD about checking it over and again. The two by fours balance the truck a bit, so I think it was safe, and I have a pretty high standard for that. Had my boys under it too, and that gave me a nice opportunity to talk about safety over and again within the shop environment.

Now I will say that when I dropped the front axle, I had to improvise by using the forward arms under the frame near the front body mounts. That was a nice way to lift the front high with the rear wheels still on the ground, still providing lots of room to maneuver the axle out of the way, but I was never really comfortable with that setup, as the angle made me nervous about slipping. I blocked the rears, but it would not take much movement on the slick shop concrete to slip off the forward lift arms.

My advice is simply this: take your time, and lift it slow. If you don't feel comfortable, there's a reason, so just drop it back down and start over. Broncos can be replaced, but you and your family/friends cannot.

Jeff

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thing I do after I lift a foot off tge ground is I grab the front bumper and push it up and down to see if it is stable. They make adjustable safety stands you put under it after they are lifted also.

http://www.gesusa.com/Jack-Stands-s/70.htm

So my vote is front radius arm and rear spring mount combined with 4 safety chains along with the stands I sent you a link to.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
My buddy always lifts mine from the frame just inside each wheel. It is not the most stable thing...but so far it has been OK.

OP
OP
H

honeybee

Loc.
Madera
Another thing I do after I lift a foot off tge ground is I grab the front bumper and push it up and down to see if it is stable. They make adjustable safety stands you put under it after they are lifted also.

http://www.gesusa.com/Jack-Stands-s/70.htm

So my vote is front radius arm and rear spring mount combined with 4 safety chains along with the stands I sent you a link to.

Sounds safe. As long as you get it to the point you can put the stands under it. But sounds safest so far!

brewchief

Bumping this up as I struggled a bit getting mine on the hoist today, I ended up sliding the front arm pads above the radius arms so they were on the frame directly in front of the radius arm brackets and the rears on the frame just in front of the rear spring hanger.

It seemed sturdy but I felt it would be better with the front arms further ahead but I didn't want to go to the frame there as it slopes and the same issue going under the radius arms, just to much angle there for my comfort.

Any thoughts?