• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHICH DIFF IN 9" REAR

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
" I Would Like Some Feed Back On Your Guys Rear Lockers,i'am Trying To Decide Which To Run In My,9". This Is What I Have,44 Front, 4.30gears, Trac Lok, All New,will Be Running 35" Tires,this Bronco Will Be Driven 80% Street,15% Rough Fire Roads Deer Hunting, 5% Once A Year Rock Climbing,i Will Be Driving In Snow To. I Want To Run Either A True Trac Or A Detiot Locker (only Two Choices) I Want To Know What You Guys Have See,(in The Snow With The Detroit I Have Heard Bad). This Is A Frame Up And Dont Want To Change Again. Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go with the detroit but considering you will be driving in the snow any type of locker can make for a wild ride(except an ARB) if there is any ice involved when I was in utah I had a worn out trac loc in the rear every time you got on the gas or let off the gas you were in for a ride. While I really dont care for ARB's they would be your best bet.

CDHUNTER

Loc.
Franklin, KY
Just put in a true trac with new gears same week we had an ice storm topped with just a little bit of snow. Barely got to drive it before everything cleared up but what little road time it did see it did alright. You do have to constantly be aware of the fact the rear end could pass you on ice. Made it extremely fun in a few empty parking lots though. Doughnuts for everyone!

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I have had the locker in the 9" since 74 and for my money it's the only way to fly. Also run the true track in the front 33's and 4:11's it works very well. Good luck with your choice. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK...I have to ask what may be a stupid southern question. I live in the deep south, so driving in snow and ice is not something that we get to do very often. My question is: If you have a twin stick with a locker in the rear, why not just pull with the front wheels when the roads are icey? I'm sure there is a reason...someone explain it to a southern boy.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
DETROIT ---- DETROIT ------ DETROIT

If your going to spend the money, I'd pick the Detroit in a New York minute

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
My personal choice is no decision - DETROIT, however you have 2 oppisites that you have to deal with. If you want max traction in the ice you will need to steer away from the Detroit. This might be OK if you are not a very serious rock climber, but there is nothing like having the rear (or front for that matter) locked when you are in the rocks.

Pick your own sacrifice.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
Leave it open. 80% Hwy and 15% fireroads can be driven in 2wd or 4wd when you need it. Save the $$$ and buy a winch to get yourself unstuck if you even need it.

I find it funny that most everyone replying with Detroit is from southern or western states that never drive in snow or ice. I'm a Detroit fan too, but I wouldn't want one in snow or ice. That is where an ARB is worth the $$$ and the only time I would ever run one. But, considering that you rig will see maybe one weekend a month on a fireroad, I would just leave both axles with open diffs and buy a winch for those case that you might actually need it.

atx-davis

Loc.
Austin Texas
Jeepincj7 said:
Leave it open. 80% Hwy and 15% fireroads can be driven in 2wd or 4wd when you need it. Save the $$$ and buy a winch to get yourself unstuck if you even need it.

I find it funny that most everyone replying with Detroit is from southern or western states that never drive in snow or ice. I'm a Detroit fan too, but I wouldn't want one in snow or ice. That is where an ARB is worth the $$$ and the only time I would ever run one. But, considering that you rig will see maybe one weekend a month on a fireroad, I would just leave both axles with open diffs and buy a winch for those case that you might actually need it.

"I find it funny that most everyone replying with Detroit is from southern or western states that never drive in snow or ice."
Almost every western state gets snow.....

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
atx-davis said:
"I find it funny that most everyone replying with Detroit is from southern or western states that never drive in snow or ice."
Almost every western state gets snow.....

Not in San Diego or most of Arizona where a lot of guys are replying %)

Sorry, but if I lived in Iowa and daily drove an EB, it would have either open diffs or ARBs. And I am NOT an ARB fan.

I daily drive a Detroit in the rear and also have one up front and have driven it in snow and ice. It is NOT fun. I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Jeepincj7 said:
I said most that were replying ;)

Quick question for ya though, I know yours is more of a trail rig, but do you daily drive yours in ice and snow?

I have not had the EB in the snow or ice...yet. I do have a daily driver pickup that has a Detroit. I've been on ice and snow without a hitch. I believe it's more predictable then a LS and doesn't spin like an open.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
Mr Joe said:
I have not had the EB in the snow or ice...yet. I do have a daily driver pickup that has a Detroit. I've been on ice and snow without a hitch. I believe it's more predictable then a LS and doesn't spin like an open.

LWB HD truck is a huge improvement from a 92" wheelbase Bronco. I barely know mine is in the back of my EB on the road. Even when its wet outside. But, in snow its incredibly squirly. I grew up in Lake Tahoe at around 8K ft in elevation, and went to school in Illinois for 5yrs. Grew up driving in snow and ice with a stock 87' Toyota SR5 4x4. The open diffs are what anyone driving in snow and ice on a regular basis needs. That to me is the main appeal of the ARB in the rear end. Open when you want it in ice and snow and locked when you need it on the trail.

But, if I only drove offroad 5% of the time, I would just leave it open for now and learn to drive it open. Once it was ready for trail duty, then install the locker of choice.

I don't see any reason to get a true trac. While it is the best LS available, its still not a locker, and will not take you places that a full locker will take you like a Detroit or ARB.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Jeepincj7 said:

So you are suggesting that this person just doesn't do his once a year rock crawling and tear up the roads that he goes on for hunting?

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
Bronchole said:
So you are suggesting that this person just doesn't do his once a year rock crawling and tear up the roads that he goes on for hunting?

Not at all. What I am suggesting is that he doesn't need a auto locker to get where he needs to go 95% of the time. And the winch would get him through "if" he got stuck the other 5%. Considering that most of his driving is street driving when weather conditions can be really shitty, then he should leave it open or go with an ARB or other selectable locker. We're talking fire roads, not a Hammers trail.

What I don't understand is why are you guys suggesting that he should get a Detroit when he lives in the frozen part of the upper midwest? A selectable locker is ideal for just that reason. An OX, Electrac, or an ARB would be the better choice if he has to have a locker. Yeah, they're more expensive, but the extra expense is buying piece of mind on the street in bad weather.

As much as I love my Detroit on the trails in SoCal, I can honestly say that I wish I could disengage it on the street. Like pulling into parking spaces when it binds the drivetrain. Or leaving a stoplight when the locker unloads and you think you just lost the entire rear end of your rig.