• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Flowmaster Muffler

AirForceBronco

Loc.
Ohio
I have a 5.0 EFI with stock Mustang GT headers, then a 50 series with 2 each 2 1/2's going in and one 3" coming out--then all the way to the back. The single 3" pipe saved on pipe bending and room underneath and at the back of the truck--it is really a great set up and most of all it SOUNDS GREAT. No clearance problems anywhere, and never in danger of scraping.

Kind of a "gentleman's rumble" I like to call it. Chicks dig it too (OK so my wife says it sounds "OK").

MP

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
I'm running flowmasters on my 72 and....how do you tell which ones they are? They were on it when I bought it. The only identification on them that I can see is just the "Flowmaster" stamp.

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
The 40 series offers a much, much deeper rumble. I run a delta 40 series on my Ranger 4.0, and it is pretty damn deep. I called around and talked to as many people as possible with just 1 question in mind: what muffler can I use on a v6 and not sound like a honda bumble bee storm? Everyone suggested the 40 series.

If you want to be quiet, go with the 50 series. I didn't even go flowmaster on my Bronco, I went with some standard truck mufflers. I wanted the exhaust to be as quiet as possible, so I could hear every sound out on the trail. I want to know what everything is doing, and I didn't want to hear the motor over the sound of gears/tires/u-joints etc. I also ran mine in a different location, and I have already dented one up a little bit: I would be a little pissed if I dented up my $80 muffler out on the trail. But, as always, to each their own.

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
I think I might go that route. It seems more practical....like you said I dont want to screw up the expensive mufflers! Plus I want to hear all the ohhhhhh's and ahhhhhhh's as I drive around topless;D ;D!! I dont want anything really loud.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A lot of exhaust systems sound different depending on the engine. Higher compression tends to be louder then low compression.
Cam timing tends to change the loudness as well.
a system that works perfect on one truck may sound completely different with a different engine.

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
Thanks Broncobowsher, I never knew that. Like they say, you learn something new everyday (and it usually on this site not in school;D;D;D)!