• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Gears for 1969 Bronco with Automatic AOD??

Glredmanii

I’m needing help with selecting the gears for my Bronco. Im replacing the stock Dana 30 with a 44. Rebuilding the rear differential. 6” Steel Wheels with BFG All Terrain 30/9.50 R15 tires.

I’m not sure which gears to run?

The vehicle will rarely be driven “off road.” Never a rock crawler. Maybe some trails, but nothing extreme.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciate!! Thank you all.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
When I put 30x9.50's on my uncut I left the stock 3.50 gears in and I did not notice much of a difference. My advice is to leave the stock gears. Any bigger tire size, then you may want to consider a ratio change. To be clear I did have the stock 3-speed not an AOD. Good luck!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just as important as the tire size is the engine tune. Will you be running a stock engine? Or will it be a well-built and tuned EFI setup?
What speed to you expect to run on the highway?

Mine is an Explorer engine (stock, with full smog), 4R70W and 30" tires (actual) and 4.56 gears.
For this engine, this is a very power and off-road oriented combo. Because the engine runs so strong at lower rpms I bet I could go to 3.50's for the street and it would be perfect.
But for a stock carbureted engine and normal exhaust and no special tuning/cam/carb mods, a 4.11 would probably be a better combination.

So what's going to go under the hood, and what's in the rear differential now?
Oh, and why the trouble of going to a 44 too? No need for it with your intended use. None at all unless your 30 is trashed and not fixable?
Got a better deal on an already built 44? If so, what gear ratio will it have before you mess with it?

Paul

OP
OP
G

Glredmanii

Paul

My Dana 30 was shot. The shop said it would cost more to fix than it was worth, and the parts weren’t as easy to find. I found a Dana 44 for $300, so I decided to buy and rebuild it. I’m not sure what gear ratio it has at this point, but I’ll buy new gears regardless.

I’d like to be able to drive 70 mph on the highway and not have to wound up/loud. But mostly I’ll just cruise around 55mph. I want to be able to drive it from my House in N Texas to Dallas if needed without any issues. Approx 1 hour drive.

Using the stock 302, but completely rebuild, aluminum heads, shorty headers, Holly Sniper throttle body. I’m not sure about the cam, but I can find out.

Thanks again!!

aisawalsh

Contributor
Loc.
Sylvan Lakre, Alberta, Canada
I asked the same question about a year ago as I have the similar setup and my bronco (once I get it back on the road) will be a pavement princess but run a slightly bigger tire; with the AOD transmission having an overdrive everyone on the forum recommended 4:56 gears.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Gear for 2000 RPM at 60 MPH
Know your loaded tire radius and most any online gear ratio calculator. With such short tires, round down.

If you can, do the rear first and put it on the highway. Like how it feels, do the front to match. If for some reason you don't like the gearing now is the time to change, only one to redo.

chuck1022

Contributor
4lo.com

im trying to figure the same thing out

30in tires

3.50 gears

.67 aod

70mph

1835 rpm

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I really don't see a Bronco going down the road at 70 with an engine comfortable at 1800 RPM. Lugging, no vacuum, always in power enrichment. Get the revs up a bit, get some vacuum. Get out of the fuel enrichment, it will drive better and get better fuel economy. This is a Bronco, not a mustang.

1800 RPM at 70 sounds perfect for a little lightweight low drag 1st gen mustang. Not a Bronco.

chuck1022

Contributor
I really don't see a Bronco going down the road at 70 with an engine comfortable at 1800 RPM. Lugging, no vacuum, always in power enrichment. Get the revs up a bit, get some vacuum. Get out of the fuel enrichment, it will drive better and get better fuel economy. This is a Bronco, not a mustang.

1800 RPM at 70 sounds perfect for a little lightweight low drag 1st gen mustang. Not a Bronco.

I was punching in the numbers from the above mentioned posts. 4.11 gears puts it at 2200 rpms i think

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I’d like to be able to drive 70 mph on the highway and not have to wound up/loud.

4.11 puts you at approx. 2300 rpm @ 70mph with your combination. Not really a bad place to be with what your engine sounds like it will be able to do.

At 55 you're down at 1800 rpm, which is pushing the lower limit a bit actually. But since the wind and rolling resistance is quite a bit less at 55, you may still be able to do it well, if the engine cooperates.

At 65mph you're into the 2100rpm range, which sounds pretty good as well.
Some of it will still depend on the cam of course, but with the Sniper, headers and cylinder heads, with the right cam you can pull the lower rpm we're talking about here.
Remember your stock setup would have run approx. 300 to 1000 rpm higher at those speeds, so even though the gearing may sound low, it's actually quite an improvement, street-wise, over some stock setups.

A decently quiet, but still easy-breathing exhaust and a lot of thought to the interior sound insulation will be a huge part of how happy you are with the "performance" as well. The noise inside an un-insulated Bronco is epic in scope, for those not used to old rigs.

But mostly I’ll just cruise around 55mph. I want to be able to drive it from my House in N Texas to Dallas if needed without any issues. Approx 1 hour drive.

Should be ok I would think. Easy cruising, but might pop out of OD quickly once you hit a larger hill. But still not out of line.

Using the stock 302, but completely rebuild, aluminum heads, shorty headers, Holly Sniper throttle body. I’m not sure about the cam, but I can find out.

Interested to hear what cam you end up with. So many out there and some choices are fine for a 302 in a car, but as was said, how things react in a Bronco going down the highway is a big step away from what you would experience with that same engine in a car.

So 4.11's would get you there. But if you can't honestly say that you're never going to add larger tires, then the choice just got harder. At that point, if you're even contemplating larger tires down the road, a 4.56 choice would not be out of line.

And as was said, by all means put off doing the front until you've already lived with the rear for awhile, if that's an option for you. This way you haven't wasted two sets of gears and their associated costs if you decide it's not the right ratio for your needs/engine/tire size.
It's certainly easier on the brain to just do it all at once, and easier to do it while it's out of the vehicle as well. But since you're not likely to need the front wheel drive for any off-roading in the near future, maybe doing the rear only is an acceptable trade-off?

So I'm on the 4.11 side for now (until further notice...;)).
But if in doubt, there is always the 4.30 option.

Good luck.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
DirtDonk and BroncoBowsher have far more experience than me and I would listen to them.

However let me share my experience. My rpms are approximate because I use an old Rally Pac tach that is pretty small.

5.0 94 Mustang, EFI, 4R70W, stock 3.5 gears. With stock 29" tires I really like the low engine rpm at 50-60 mph cruise speed. Converter locks and works like a new Explorer.

31" tires - the rpm at 50 mph is too low around 1300 rpm when the converter locks. At 60 it is just about perfect you can even hear the radio! I need to adjust my converter lock up speed to make it lock later. I have not had it running long enough to know the mpg difference.

If I had a carb I may think differently but the EFI seems to like low rpm and pulls clean and downshifts and picks up nice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think Mark's experience is pretty consistent with what we're talking about. His Ford EFI and 4r70 can tolerate the lower rpm better than a carbureted engine usually can. Or even an over-cammed engine can for that matter.
Like I mentioned in passing in my first reply I think mine (with Explorer EFI) could handle 3.50 gears easily with my small-ish 31's (roughly 14.5 to 14.75 inch rolling radius) and the strong pull my engine has at very low rpm.
It would not be as much fun off-road, or in the stop light grand prix, but it would work well on the highway at moderate speeds.

It loafs along even with the 4.56's in overdrive compared to what I used to have, and could handle itself well off-road. But I bet 3.50s' would make it a sweet street rig.
However I have a hard time recommending that for yours, or anyone's without knowing the end results of how the engine runs and pulls. For that, in reality YOU'RE the only one that's going to be able to answer that in the end.

We'll get you close here in this discussion, but you'll have to make that final "do I like it or not" determination yourself.
Hence the usual recommendation for doing just the rear until you've had some seat time out in the real world.

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We use a gear ratio calculator found on grimmjeeper.com. Plug in your transmission etc and down at the bottom will give you rpm vs speed. I try to gear at 2100 rpm at 70 mph. No complaints yet and plenty of pep throughout.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I got the 5.0 explorer /engine 98 carburated, run 30 inch tires with 4.10 gears, cruise comfortably at 2000 rpms. May have to play with the baumans controller a bit now that is on the road.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
We need a loan a gear program, 9 inch rear pumpkin sets loaded with both 28 spline and 31 spline and gear ratios from 3.50 to 4.56 or so. No traction aids to avoid abuse all assembled with used parts. You rent it for a for a test session. Keep it longer than 30 days you bought it. Return it and try another gear set. The 9 inch is so easy to work with. In 2 hours you can swap it out.

A 600 cash deposit, you get 500 back on return or 500 to put towards your purchase on a new loaded unit.

Buy a new loaded carrier assembly and maybe discount the rental.