• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which radiator do you guys use?

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
I started up the bronco the other day, and after 5 minutes of idle there was steam coming from under the hood. My radiator was shooting coolant out of the upper right hand corner. Looks like the fan must have hit at some point, so now I need to purchase a new radiator, any recommendations. I'm running a 351 clevland and have powersteering. Anyhelp would be great. Thanks~Levi:)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I'm running a JBG high-efficiency 4 core with a stock shroud and a 1" body lift in front of my 408 Windsor. I'm running the stock mechanical fan. I can idle in traffic in the Southern California heat and stay at 180 degrees all day long.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I had a bad experience with a JBG 4-core that only lasted about 3 years and was prone to sprining pinhole leaks. Now I run a BC Broncos heavy duty 3 core and am very pleased.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
I'm mulling around the idea of the 351C in mine too. If I was you, I'd skip the traditional Bronco radiator and look for one of the aluminum replacements in a comparable size - this time with the water outlets on the "correct" side. If you can wake Desert Thrasher up, I think he's running an aluminum one with a Cleveland, but not sure if his has the Windsor location outlets or not. That would save having to plumb that lower hose across the front. I've got the Jeff's 4 core in mine, and no problems. If the Cleveland thing ever comes to pass, I'll try to find one like I mentioned, and e-bay the one I've got.

Oops, here you go:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47057

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have a Wild Horses staggared four core and it works well and has for the last four years. Personally I would not buy it again but like the Idea of the BC 3 pass radiator and would go that route next time if this current radiator ever fails.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The James Duff 4 core finally stopped leaking after several trips to the rad shop. Last time in they stated they could no longer repair it but would credit the repairs for a new rad. Quit leaking that day.

Next one will be a Ron Davis.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Broncobowsher said:
The James Duff 4 core finally stopped leaking after several trips to the rad shop. Last time in they stated they could no longer repair it but would credit the repairs for a new rad. Quit leaking that day.

Next one will be a Ron Davis.

good man! Ron Davis is a great radiator.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm using a duffs 4 core. I bought it before there was much else availible. I've had a lot of problems with it just like the other post lots of leaks been fixed more times than I care to tell. I'm always wondering when its going to spring another leak. I'm planning on a BC radiator. Hae never heard a bad thing about them yet and Chuck has helped me out a lot.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
cant go wrong with chuck's rad either. the only reason I chose the RD was because their was a mass buy at the time.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Re: Thanks

Levisbronco said:
Thanks guy...I will be going with the Ron davis. I will also be purchasing a radiator guard form chuck. Thanks again~Levi

fyi,

While I was at it I put an auxillary tranny cooler from B&M in. It has a electric Spal fan on it.

Quick & Dirty

I also used to use a Duff 4 core and had problems with the crappy solder job. After a year or two the solder holding the top strap let go, then the tubes started to pull out of the tanks and leak. The paint flaked off almost immediately as well.
duffrad.JPG

I switched to a Wild Horses staggered radiator about 5 years ago and haven't had any problems.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
IM also running a cleveland, for a radiator I got a universal one from a local radiator shop. Its just cheaper that way, I think i paid like 280 bucks for an aluminum radiator, I havent had it long enough to comment on quality though.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Just a stock 3 row with a 351W and it works well for me never goten hot. good luck with your choice.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

77pony

Loc.
Utah
I still have the 4-core I bought from KBarS in '89 (Duff's?). The overflow stem came off quite a few years ago, but other than that it's been fine until last weekend when I pulled it out. Pulled out the outlet getting the hose off and buggered up one spot monkeying around with the mounts. Got it fixed at the rad shop and they said my inlet also leaked, although it never leaked when it was in the rig. Only cost me $50 to rebuild, but I wonder if I should have replaced it. -al