• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which transmission guage should I get

NMHS

I have a 1974 Bronco with a C4 and I am installing a B&M axuillary cooler and I am capping off the radiator. The transmission is getting rebuilt right now and I was wondering what type or brand of transmission gauge should I buy and then how should I install it.

Thanks,

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Temp gauge-install temp sensor near the bottom of the pan.
Pressure gauge-test port is on driver side just behind bellhousing.

OP
OP
N

NMHS

Temp gauge-install temp sensor near the bottom of the pan.
Pressure gauge-test port is on driver side just behind bellhousing.

Is this install method in the stock tranny pan and is there a specific brand/model gauge I should buy?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Autometer. get the one that goes to 300 degrees or higher. had the B&M gauge but it didn't last.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I always go into a stock pan in one of two different ways,

1) Buy the drain plug kit, B&M sells one for around $10. All you have to do is drill a 1/2"? hole in the pan and install kit, it comes with a nylon gasket and the fittings. Instead of using the drain plug install the sending unit.

2) I usually do it this way. Just weld a 1/4" plate to the inside of the pan, then drill and tap a 1/8" npt hole to install the sender into.

Either way make sure that you are clear of anything hitting the sender on the inside of the pan.

David

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Autometer, and I prefer the mechanical gauges for their longer sweep and you don't have to wonder if the reading you are getting is because of an electrical issue (usually grounding of the sending unit).

FYI, make sure to talk with the guy building the transmission about weather you will void the warrenty by not using the in-radiator cooler. Some builders will not warrenty a trans that is not using the radiator cooler, some others will not warrenty installations that use external filters in the lines. You should probably consider driving the rig over to him when it is installed to make sure there are no other "void causes" aslo.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
there's been some debate on here about this but my sender is installed in the fluid cooling
line that carries fluid away from the trans to the coolers. got an extra capacity aluminum pan and didn't want to drill and tap it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
there's been some debate on here about this but my sender is installed in the fluid cooling
line that carries fluid away from the trans to the coolers. got an extra capacity aluminum pan and didn't want to drill and tap it.

That's the hottest fluid in the trans. It's coming straight from the pump and the temp changes rapidly there with the load/throttle. Not a real good indication of running temp.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
That's the hottest fluid in the trans. It's coming straight from the pump and the temp changes rapidly there with the load/throttle. Not a real good indication of running temp.

That's what I have always been told too! I have a sender in my outgoing line as well, it was always erratic and finally bought a new sender to have in the pan.

SwedenBronco

Loc.
Gothenburg, Sweden
I have a 1974 Bronco with a C4 and I am installing a B&M axuillary cooler and I am capping off the radiator. The transmission is getting rebuilt right now and I was wondering what type or brand of transmission gauge should I buy and then how should I install it.

Thanks,

Depending on your location, I wouldn't go without the radiator, it helps you getting up to temperature as well, to cold is a no good, some of the auxiliary coolers has a thermostat that bypasses the cooler to help gain temp when cold.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX

makes one wonder why the original B&M install recommendation was in the cooling line.

OP
OP
N

NMHS

Depending on your location, I wouldn't go without the radiator, it helps you getting up to temperature as well, to cold is a no good, some of the auxiliary coolers has a thermostat that bypasses the cooler to help gain temp when cold.

I live in Souther in NM at about 7500' elevation. It can be cold in the winter, but otherwise its a mild climate.

I'm wondering, should I purchase another tranny pan, or stick with the stock pan?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
I have my sending unit (PATC guage) in the rear of the pan, temp has been stable. I agree with SWEDENBRONCO route fluid thru the radiator and the new cooler. You'll need the extra cooling capacity.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I live in Souther in NM at about 7500' elevation. It can be cold in the winter, but otherwise its a mild climate.

I'm wondering, should I purchase another tranny pan, or stick with the stock pan?

I think you will be fine with out the cooler running into the radiator. I live in the middle of Missouri and it is common to have a week or so close to 0 or at least in the teens. Mine has never had any issue with any of mine that way.

An aftermarket pan will have a drain plug in it, or at least most of them does. Modifying your stock one will be cheaper, I don't see the big benefit of an aftermarket pan in a EB. In a car you are driving mostly at highway speeds and the air can help cool the fluid. In a Bronco, at least in mine, I go slow more often and the under hood/body temps are horrible. My theory is that the aluminum pan would almost absorb more heat than dissipate it.

AZ69EB

I run two large auxiliary plate style transmission coolers. One plate style cooler with a fan on the fender well and another plate style cooler in front of the core support plus an external filter. I also have an Autometer transmission temperature gauge in the cab.

I look at it all the time. What I found is when my engine is running on the hot side, so is the transmission. They almost parallel each other with regard to temperatures. It makes sense since I put more load on both.

IMO - I would keep the money in my pocket and not put a transmission temperature gauge in your bronco.

It’s just another item you will watch all the time.

OP
OP
N

NMHS

I run two large auxiliary plate style transmission coolers. One plate style cooler with a fan on the fender well and another plate style cooler in front of the core support plus an external filter. I also have an Autometer transmission temperature gauge in the cab.

I look at it all the time. What I found is when my engine is running on the hot side, so is the transmission. They almost parallel each other with regard to temperatures. It makes sense since I put more load on both.

IMO - I would keep the money in my pocket and not put a transmission temperature gauge in your bronco.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru

It's another thing that you should watch all the time. Especially if you take it wheeling, you are putting more stress on it than it was intended. So putting a gauge on it won't hurt, but will help tell you if you have a problem.

David