• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who should I have rebuild my steering box?

OsideDave

I just did the conversion from 6+ turns to 4 by WTO and I am happy with results but I wish I would have just gone with 3.25 turn and made it like my cars. My pump is whining after the box rebuild so I may need to get new pump.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Local parts store, I got mine from Oreillys. I tore it apart last night, with the help of a friend, we have all the pieces back in the thing. I'll let you know if it doesn't work LOL. The directions are horrible that they send with it. Be sure you search online, I found links to a couple of good write ups. I only kept the link to this one. It's a good supplement to the factory write up.

http://www.kokes.net/bronco/powr_str.htm

David

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
I got my steering box back from West Texas Offroad and I finally got it back in the truck. I was very impressed with their turn around time. It spent more time in shipment than it did at the shop. They rebuilt it the day after they received it and then shipped it back to me the day after that. They gave it a nice coat of black paint so it looks as good as new! So far I am a very satisfied customer.

Now for my problem. I put the box back in and now the truck turns harder to the right than the left. If I turn all the way to the right, the right tire hits the radius arm at about the same time that the limit in the box is hit. If I turn all the way to the left, the left tire is about 2.5" away from the radius arm.

The way I ended up connecting the pitman arm back to the steering box was by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left until it hit the stop. Then I jacked up the front end such that I could grab the tires and turn them manually to the right or left (pitman arm not connected to steering box at this point). I then positioned the tires such that they were turned as far to the left as they go and then moved them back to the right slightly until I could get the pitman arm to line up with the 4 index slots in the steering box shaft.

I can't say for 100% sure that the Bronco didn't have this problem before the rebuild but I don't think it did. Is this a common problem to have after a rebuild or am I just attaching the pitman arm wrong. I know a smart person probably would have made a mark on the shaft and the pitman arm before seperating them but there's no better way to learn than the hard way!

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It is important to center the wheels in the truck and center the box and then install the pitman arm. The box will have slightly more resistance at center and you want this to be when you are going straight down the road.

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
WTO did a great job rebuilding the box as far as I can tell. I still never got around to centering the steering perfectly, but the truck is driving great as is. At first the 3.25 turn-to-turn seemed a little touchy to me, but after driving the truck a little bit I got use to it.

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Help needed...The power steering box on my 74 Bronco has a leak, and I was told that I need to replace the shaft (rod) that attaches to the steering column knuckle. I'm in PR so shipping my box to the states would cost more than buying one. Does anyone know where, who or how I can locate this part, or a substituted for this part? Thanks, ED

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Help needed...The power steering box on my 74 Bronco has a leak, and I was told that I need to replace the shaft (rod) that attaches to the steering column knuckle. I'm in PR so shipping my box to the states would cost more than buying one. Does anyone know where, who or how I can locate this part, or a substituted for this part? Thanks, ED

try this

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Steering_Shafts

this might help also
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/images/schematics/pdf/SteeringColumn.pdf

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
You should contact WTOR and see if they could ship you the parts you need. They seem to be very helpful and may do this for you. The owner is an EB guy.

Dan

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Thanks for the link to Toms Bronco. According to the diagram, the part I’m looking for is called the “worm.” I contacted west Texas off road and I think they have it for $75. I want to confirm it will fit, they said it was a bit longer than stock. Thanks for taking time to help others.
ED

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
The Toms Bronco diagram is not the same as mine, I have a power steering box. The bushing in part A is worned out and does not fit tight, therefore it keeps damaging the seal, and that causes the leak. I may need the entire part.