• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHOAA... noise, loud

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
WTH?

I'm going to be double posting this on my build thread also but leaving it here at first for those tired of reading my build thread. :)

-Last 4 days no rpms over 4k

- Yes, oil psi is at 50hot at first start (right after video) & 27 at idle

- I was just going for a drive at 40mpjlh up my road, 1 1/2 miles & here came the noise!

- LOUD, I mean loud and not louder on one side then the other but same in the center of the intake as either valve cover

- all galley plugs are threaded

Really sounds like ALL the lifters are talking.0

The 9.6m video at the very beginning the sound is GONE!!! ...and comes right back

Attachments

• 20240716_204524.mp4
    7.4 MB
  • 20240716_204220.mp4
    9.6 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I know right!! :(

All on top, all in the middle.

So loud it has to be at least half the lifters or half the injectors.

This noise didn't trickle in... went from quiet to what you hear. Dang.

Can't believe it... been running great, till tonight.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
My videos won't play on my computer again. If it wasn't for good luck I wouldn't have any luck! lol

Too hot and disappointed to tear into it tonight.

All oil gallery plugs are threaded and locktited to prevent this. Always do but hey, who knows.

All I know is I only have 4 days after international flights when I get back to figure it out and repaired for the Oregon RdUp..

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Man o man, have you had a black cat walk under a your ladder again. 🥵

Piece of casting flash or something break off in the oil galley maze and is blocking the passage to the lifters on one side? Too long since I’ve been in an engine so that’s a wild ass guess.
Scott

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Super sucks! ;(

Somewhat educated guesses-

-Leaning towards oil supply since it's sooooo loud & sounds centrally located over the intake valley yet so loud its radiating everywhere. Even tho at 1,000 rpm on restart I have 50 psi

-too loud for injectors and engine "seems" to idle fine

I'll pull valve covers this am and see if oil is making it's way thru the pushrods & if rockers have full movement.

What's up with videos only having sound but not picture on a desktop but works on phone?

The 5 sec long video definitely is clear that the noise was absent then suddenly & very loudly made the scene!
You can hear NO noise then it suddenly comes on and stays on.

Maybe only one cylinder...will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Two days ago while driving down the road, I thought I heard a ticking noise. I let off the gas and stuck my head out the door and I coyld barely hear something and then... then I didn't hear it again.

sounds like an intermittent lifter issue. I have at least .070" btw the valve stem & the rocker with the locking set screw clamped and no noise except for when it makes such a racket.

Tons of oil all over so it's just the one rocker with a super steep cam ramp making all this racket. This is the loudest single rocker arm noise issue. I have ever been a part of :)

Going to pull it, disect the lifter looking for any crap that might cause it to be sticky and then install a new set of Morel link bars off my shelf that are for another stroker I have to finish building.

They sure do not make lifters & cams like they used to.

If I didn't hear it come & go I might have a different plan but listen in the video. Think this is the correct path to follow

Attachments

• 20240716_204220.mp4
    9.6 MB
Last edited:

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Damn, that sounds loud. I wasn't going to make a guess, but since you are talking lifters, that sounds like a lifter problem I had on my Yukon 5.3. When it made noise, I thought the engine was coming apart, then the next day for a couple of minutes it would be normal and then start to act up again. Hopefully that is it and you can get it back together quickly.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Worst possible outcome I could have other than the lifter breaking apart and making it, so I'd have to rebore the cylinders.

I have built so many engines and have never had one eat a cam in less than a year or less than thirty minutes!

Yes, I used cam lube during install. Yes, I used thirty weight break in high zinc oil...

Yes, it's a very high lift roller cam with link bar Morel lifters.

I'm still mad enough I would like to have a bunch of words that have nothing but asterisks in them but that's not appropriate here...

Can't freakin' believe it... Just cant. Can't.

I was positive, it was just a collapsed lifter

Attachments

• 20240717_111501.jpg
    20240717_111501.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240717_112120.jpg
    20240717_112120.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 17

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that aint right man, that roller lifter should have worked fine no oil... Maybe it did for too long? Surely ate the cam though? So for further diagnosing, replace bad lifter, intake, leave off valve cover, run it and see if that side is getting oil? That's one of many things an old guy taught me, run it without valve covers, just to be sure everything is getting wet.