• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whole lotta easy ?'s Need some help please.

Kidney

First question....I have no clue what this "other" cooler on the front of my truck is or if It's ok to remove it. It's a small lil cooler almost like a trans cooler but the lines on it are cut. It sits right in front of the radiator. I think it has to be an po add on b/c it's held on with a few straps screwed into the core support. I have a stock 3speed. Also there are two round holes on the passenger side floor tunnel. I'm unsure but it looks like some type of tube (about the size of the hose that goes to your heater) was ran thru the floor.

#2 Has anyone had problems with after market rear bumbers in that your tailgate rests on them? I never noticed this until today but my tailgate does not fully come down b/c of the rear bumper. I spend alot of time fishing and normaly just sit on the tailgate, but with the tailgate resting on the bumper I think this would dent in my tailgate. Would a small body lift help this?

#3 I can't find my manual but upon start up what should my rpms be at? I just started it up and it's getting pretty cold about 35 and the idle didn't go much over 800rpm or so and ran pretty rough. I'm guessing it's something with this or the choke. Normally I would just blip the starter and it would fire right up. Even then upon start up the idle was right around 1000rpm or so.

#4 Do Broncos make their own tools? It seems each time I work on my truck I find a new tool. Today I found a screw driver sitting between my shockmount and coil. ?:? Another time I found needle nose plyers sitting on my transfercase skid plate. I'm now shooting for maybe a compressor or a industrial press. I know one of those guys are hiding some where in my truck. :D

#5 How in the hell do I keep track of all these lil tools that come with all my power tools. I'm at the point now I almost have a cabnit full of these guys. One for my grinder one for my buffer...etc ..etc Why can't they just make these alll the same?!?!?!?!

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
#1 Could be an oil cooler. Do you have power steering? Could have been a PS cooler as well, just guessing.

#2 Body lift would help.

#3 Do you have an automatic or manual choke? Cold start with choke operating properly should give you 1000 -1200 rpm based on my experience.

#4 I've found some small hand tools on both my Broncos. I don't think I'd hold out too much hope for the larger stuff tho.

#5 Can't help you there other than suggesting buy all the same brand, might be some interchangability that way.

OP
OP
Kidney

Kidney

Thats what I thought was weird since I don't have Power anything. I looked all over for old lines around the engine but I couldn't find any. So who knows what was hooked up to it.

As for the choke I have an electric choke. When I started it up when I got off work today it stayed right aorund 500 rpm's. When I got home the idle was right at 1000 rpms or close to it anyways. Thats what leads me to believe it's the choke is out of whack. Any trouble shooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
4 - one of my favorite body dollies came from the front of a rear quarter.

5 - annoying. i ended up creating a drawer in the roll away just for all that stuff and related attachments. i also run a few wraps of colored electrical tape around the "tools". makes them easier to find in the draawer or on the ground and marks them as something special. if you have several that are similar, it might help to color code the tape to the mfg of the tool. yellow=dewalt, green=hitachi, red=milwuakee, etc.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
#4. count yourself luck for what you have found. all ive gotten out of mine is 5 pencils and a 25 year old pack of dentine.

Last edited:

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Kidney said:
Thats what I thought was weird since I don't have Power anything. I looked all over for old lines around the engine but I couldn't find any. So who knows what was hooked up to it.

As for the choke I have an electric choke. When I started it up when I got off work today it stayed right aorund 500 rpm's. When I got home the idle was right at 1000 rpms or close to it anyways. Thats what leads me to believe it's the choke is out of whack. Any trouble shooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have a stock 2 bbl, start the engine cold with the air cleaner removed so youcan see the choke plate. Make sure it's closed almost completely on initial cold start. There should be an adjustment screw below the choke housing to set the cold or high idle. Once the choke opens, idle should drop and should be 625 for a manual in neutral or 550 for auto in drive. Adjust accordingly. Of course all this assumes your timing and idle mixture are set correctly. HTH

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the P.O. lived in or around Omaha too, those two holes in the floor could've been for an aftermarket auxiliary heater for the rear.
I'm leaning towards a power steering or engine oil cooler too.
For the tailgate, unless you have REALLY BIG, uh, bolts, then your original body cushions/insulators are probably completely crushed and allowing the body to sit down too low. If that's the case, even just replacing them with stock new ones would fix the problem.
Does yours still have stock bumpers? With the stock round headed Carriage bolts? If so then there is no reason that fixing the existing mounts shouldn't help.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Kidney

Kidney

Thanks for the replys....I finally got the choke set where I like it. Although I almost died doing it but oh well.... Ya I had a slight drip coming from the fuel filter on the carb. I just finished adjusting the choke so the truck was still running. So I thought I would tighten it just a little bit (and I really mean just a hair) just that lil turn and the end broke off which in turn shot gas every where. I jumped in the truck and killed it and grabbed my fire extingisher(sp) and waited for a big ass fire. Luckly nothing happened but it scared the crap out of me. So I got to pull the carb and drill out the remaining end of the filter. I guess it wasn't such a bad deal b/c I think I found out why my truck hesitates a bit b/c both gaskets under the carb and (sorry I don't know what it's called) and the piece the carb sits on where both torn and in pretty bad shape. So I got a chance to really clean out the carb.

As for my bumper its an aftermarket one not the stock one.

I took a real good look at the cooler and if I took it out it looks like it will leave about a 1 inch gap between the radiator and the core support. Should the radiator sit up against the core or should there be a gap?

I don't think I will ever figure out what those holes in the tunnel are for. Honestly I really don't know where my truck is from.The guy I bought it from I think said he bought it from a guy in some small town in Nebraksa. Then again he was in the military and it has tags on the windshield from different bases all over the U.S.

OP
OP
Kidney

Kidney

jbeyer said:
#4. count yourself luck for what you have found. all ive gotten out of mine is 5 pencils and a 25 year old pack of dentine.

With all the rusted stuff I've seen on E-bay you could probly sell the gum as "NOS Ford Bronco Chewing Gum"