• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why are fan blades not evenly spaced?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Was looking at the fan today and realized the blades are not evenly spaced. Why? Will it make a difference when the fan is reinstalled. Hope not%) .

Wes harden

No it won't make any diff a quality fan should have been balanced on it's own. the odd spacing is to break up wind patterns and noise.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Count the blades... Stock fan is SEVEN... Uneven number of blades means spacing has to be uneven to balance it out. Now why did they choose seven and not an even number? Everyone has a theory.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
My stock fan is a 5 blade and is off set. A six blade is equal. My other Bronco has a seven which is off set. I can see the harmonics problem but how come a 6 blade is equal?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I have always been told that it is done to reduce noise.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Harmonics/Noise.
I'm not sure I agree with you Eoth. Can't any number can be spaced evenly around a circle? 6 blades is spaced every 60° and seven would be spaced every 51.4°
just like a 5-pointed star is generally evenly spaced.
Uh, that's right isn't it?
Geometry wasn't exactly my strong point, but that just stood out and made me think.
I do like the gap the odd number leaves though. Sure makes getting to those PITA bolts easier. A little...

Paul