• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why can't I figure this out.....

akforsyth

Contributor
OK, I am really sorry for this but for some reason my mind must not be working because I cannot figure this out fro the life of me. I have tried a search, but of course it comes up with 500 responses because I really can't place what I'm looking at. Anyway, take a look at the pic and please tell me why this hub is missing the selector. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180224_160303 (2).jpg
    20180224_160303 (2).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 215

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Yep, full time 4x4, had those on a ‘73 Blazer and recently saw an ad for aftermarket set for Broncos

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
You don't have "locking" hubs (un-locking, actually). As has been stated, your hubs are always engaged (and, no, that's not the same as full-time 4WD).

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've seen several of those on similar vintage pickups at the local pick-n-pull. I've pulled hub and rotor assemblies for disc brake conversions off of trucks with them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As opposed to what was called "full-time 4wd" using the NP 203 transfer case, this was just a standard Bronco Dana 20 transfer case, minus the free-running hub option.
Remember, just like radios, passenger seats, and other stuff, the lockouts/locking hubs were just options.

Under that cap is a drive flange/slug that's splined to lock the outer hub to the axle shaft.
They just didn't check the option box in this case.
Probably had to special order that because most dealers were ordering their inventory with the free running hub option.

Paul

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Thanks everyone. I was told that the Bronco is full time in 4x4 right now because the owner does not know how to get the transfer case to disengage. Could possibly need the "Bronco shuffle" to unlock it or maybe an issue inside of the case. Either way I'm hoping to go pick this one up in the next week or two here. I think I will be looking at converting it. Cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's not good. Don't drive it far on pavement or hard pack. Let some slip go into it, maybe even jack up the front wheel(s) and see if you can get it out of 4wd.

Good luck.

Paul

rguest3

Bronco Guru
The Marti Report that I have for several Broncos does state "Free Running Front Hubs" on the option list. Technically, I guess, the Manual Locking hubs are an option.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My old neighbor was a Ford guy who actually hooked me with the Bronco bug. He was a Ford service manager at one time and carried one of these "slugs" in his tool box in case he had hub problems. He could pop the hub off, slide the slug in and tape over the end to seal it. Had to use it out deer hunting one year and I was impressed he had this stuff with him.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Funny this came up. I just bought a set of "drive flanges" for my 78 Bronco with NP203 to convert it back to full time 4WD.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As opposed to what was called "full-time 4wd" using the NP 203 transfer case, this was just a standard Bronco Dana 20 transfer case, minus the free-running hub option.
Remember, just like radios, passenger seats, and other stuff, the lockouts/locking hubs were just options.
l

True statement.....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Funny this came up. I just bought a set of "drive flanges" for my 78 Bronco with NP203 to convert it back to full time 4WD.

Got the flanges on mine too for full time.. Need to swap them out to selectable so I can get it on street more

(RCVS) in the front

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks everyone. I was told that the Bronco is full time in 4x4 right now because the owner does not know how to get the transfer case to disengage. Could possibly need the "Bronco shuffle" to unlock it or maybe an issue inside of the case. Cheers

Driving on roads without hubs won't hurt anything, but driving with the transfer case in 4WD too, is a bad thing.
Because of the difference between the front and rear gear ratios, it puts an extreme load on all the gears and the drivelines too.
At a minimum, a good driveline and gearbox service/inspection is in order.

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Driving on roads without hubs won't hurt anything, but driving with the transfer case in 4WD too, is a bad thing.
Because of the difference between the front and rear gear ratios, it puts an extreme load on all the gears and the drivelines too.
At a minimum, a good driveline and gearbox service/inspection is in order.

My thoughts exactly. I have another set of good running gear if I require it so it is not too much of a concern for me. I definitely won't be taking it on any roads until I can get the transfer case out of 4wd and at least into 2H. With that being said, I was just about to rebuild the other Dana 20 I have sitting around and it might just be easier to rebuild it and swap that one in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also used in some 70's Jeeps.

That is what you got if the free running hub option was not selected (forgot what year they became standard)

Typically a low option Bronco, or one what was going to live its whole life on a farm/ranch/mine/etc. where 4WD will be locked in most of the time anyway.

Hard core trail rigs often run the drive flanges, simplicity. No moving parts, just a slug with splines that mate the shaft to the hub.

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
And I just saw this in some more of the pictures that were sent... nice little spare minus the drum brakes!

Attachments

• 20180312_172956.jpg
    20180312_172956.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 24