• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wideband O2 tuning

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Anyone on the board have or use a Wideband O2 for carburetor tuning? I'm thinking about investing in one. I've studied a bit about them, but want a second opinion. I've been looking at the Innovate Motorsports line of sensors and loggers.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I installed an Edelbrock monitor this last summer. mounted the sensor in my H pipe. turns out it was a waste of money. I had it tuned right where it needed to be. oh well! I guess just over $100 for peace of mind is a bargain.
I like that I can move it from vehicle to vehicle too.
and I guess it'll come in handy when I'm drivin places where I'm drastically changing elevation. that way I can just watch it to see when I need to jump out and rejet.
when you doubt your tuning, might as well buy the tools you need to make sure it's where it needs to be, right?

OX1

Bronco Guru
I installed an Edelbrock monitor this last summer. mounted the sensor in my H pipe. turns out it was a waste of money. I had it tuned right where it needed to be. oh well! I guess just over $100 for peace of mind is a bargain.
I like that I can move it from vehicle to vehicle too.
and I guess it'll come in handy when I'm drivin places where I'm drastically changing elevation. that way I can just watch it to see when I need to jump out and rejet.
when you doubt your tuning, might as well buy the tools you need to make sure it's where it needs to be, right?

100$ is not a wideband (if somebody makes em that cheap now, sign me up for several) and can not be used effectively for anything but idle and cruise. I have a true wideband setup, but have never used it to tune a carb. Don't see why it would not work, still same exh as any other engine.

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
edelbrock is a cheap narrow band.

i had a innovative and didn't like it. if you get the lm1 make sure you get the rpm converter so you can datalog your air fuel. hard to get wot readings on the road.

currently have a aem guage setup which is nice, but also hard to read at wot....at least in the fairmont.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
In my last project I used two cheap summit gauges and a couple universal O2 sensors. It sort of worked.

I removed them once I got it tuned, watching the lights will drive you nuts.

TDS-03

Loc.
Monterey Park, CA
I have a DynoJet Wide Band Commander that I use to tune my 03 Cobra. Nice unit, allows you to record data to a laptop. The Cobra is injected, blown, and computer controled, but carb should really be easier...and no tuner unit or software to buy!

Either way, its accurate and easy to install and use. I've heard good things about the Innovate stuff as well.

Skip the basic A/F gague. If its not wide band, its just a pretty light show. When I lived in San Diego, all the import tuner kids loved 'em.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bucket, I think it may help. I am sure the unit will work however I am not sure if you can make those fine adjustments to get it perfect. It will help in the jetting and venture sizing. May also be a good way to check for improvement in the position of the secondary and when they come in. It sounds like a fun project.

tell me how it goes.

Bax

Last edited:

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I have the Innovate Motorsports Wide Band 02 sensor

It has worked great for me other than the sensore itself that goes into the exhaust had to be replaced after a while. I think it was due to the faulty Holley truck Avenger I got. Once I got the carb sent back, and with the right parts in it, and a new sensor, it has worked great for me.

These sensors don't like to be run real real rich.

It was a great tuning tool. I now cruise right at 14-14.5 A/F but when I floor it I goes to about 11A/F ratio. So I get good millage when just cruising, but plenty of fuel when I hammer it hard.

OP
OP
BUCKETOBOLTS

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I run a Holley 4776 (600 DP) that a friend helped me blueprint it. That means we re drilled the air bleeds and idle fuel restrictions to make a better fuel curve. The "recipe" we used is one that is used a lot on 9.0:1 Busch engines. It is crisp and responsive. But my engine is rather mild and I believe a little more work can increase my power and efficiency. Then after I get my F250 together I'd like to use it to tune the carb on my 400.

I saw the AEM wide band gauge. It is fairly cheap for what it is and seems to be a quality piece. But I keep leaning to the LM-1 for the data logging capability. It is much easier to make a quick trip down the road and look at your data when you get back, then to try and watch a gauge fluctuate while dodging traffic. The LM-1 can also be used with alternative fuels like methanol, E85, or Propane. Gives me another reason to build a propane powered buggy later on.

kirkallen143

Loc.
Navasota, Texas
I run a Holley 4776 (600 DP) that a friend helped me blueprint it. That means we re drilled the air bleeds and idle fuel restrictions to make a better fuel curve. The "recipe" we used is one that is used a lot on 9.0:1 Busch engines. It is crisp and responsive. But my engine is rather mild and I believe a little more work can increase my power and efficiency. Then after I get my F250 together I'd like to use it to tune the carb on my 400.

I saw the AEM wide band gauge. It is fairly cheap for what it is and seems to be a quality piece. But I keep leaning to the LM-1 for the data logging capability. It is much easier to make a quick trip down the road and look at your data when you get back, then to try and watch a gauge fluctuate while dodging traffic. The LM-1 can also be used with alternative fuels like methanol, E85, or Propane. Gives me another reason to build a propane powered buggy later on.

So true, trying to read the gauge while going down the road! I have the AEM and it works flawlessly. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years helping to tune my engine in the bronco, it's turbocharged.

Still can't beat a good plug reading, though. And like said before, just another gauge having to watch.

Kirk

ugly74

Bronco abuser
edelbrock is a cheap narrow band.

oh whoops. my bad. I saw the topic and just jumped in with both feet...evidently I was still asleep. I do that sometimes%)
at any rate...
my narrow band cheap P.O.S. Edelbrock seems to work just fine, thank you very much.
it says I'm in tune at idle, part throttle, and WOT. my nose, hearing, plug readings and spidey senses all confirm it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Fast is good stuff. I was at a big performance auto show yesterday and talked to both Holley and fast . I think fast may be easier to use for the general person. I think it is better than the Holley system because it is more user frendly. talked to both for about an hour. Let me say this for holley. my comander 950 has never worked very good. i talked to holley in person at the show. they are sending me a brand new system on their dime. So customer service is there. Fast is very hard to get a hold of on the phone.

Bax

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that PRI bax? How was it? Sounds at least like you got some satisfaction from Holley. Anything else strike you as interesting you'd like to pass on?
One of my guys was working the show, but since it's not in CA or NV anymore I don't get the chance.

Paul

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is that PRI bax? How was it? Sounds at least like you got some satisfaction from Holley. Anything else strike you as interesting you'd like to pass on?
One of my guys was working the show, but since it's not in CA or NV anymore I don't get the chance.

Paul

The show was real good. lots of good stuff. I saw an injection system from the aussie ford guys for a 351 cleveland that was so sweet. Modern injection system using a tuned old style trumpet ram system. I worked the linkage and it was so sweet. Small ports for the aussie heads, so nice. lots of chevy stuff but if you looked around you could find some ford stuff. saw an R code GT500 it was really cool, you can order one off the ford racing catalog. Lots of cool parts. I walked the floor all day, I think I saw the whole show. It was very nice to be able to talk to the holley guys. I hope my injection problems are on the way out. pistons, cranks and stroker kits, oh my. The stuff was everywhere.

Bax

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
I've got one that also logs 8 other channels. I've got it setup to log intake/water/exhaust temps, fuel/oil/boost pressure as well as afr on a laptop in the mustang. It isn't in use at the moment, so if you want to borrow it--feel free. Just let me know.

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
I have the Innovate Motorsports Wide Band 02 sensor

It has worked great for me other than the sensore itself that goes into the exhaust had to be replaced after a while.

I had the same exerience as Don with my LM-1. I also had the AUXBOX they sell as well as the XD16 gauge. I used it to datalog multiple inputs when tuning for drag racing. Very good setup and good customer support from my experience.

I also noticed the sensors didn't last long in a rich environment. I let mine go with the race rig when I sold it a couple years ago but have thought about getting just a sensor and gauge for the Bronco.