• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wild horses efi kit install

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
I just bought the MSD Atomic EFI Master Kit from wild horses. i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. IT says that it is a simple drop in install. i was wondering if anyone else has this setup in their bronco, and if there is anything i should know about ahead of time before i put it in.

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
I have the atomic on my 351. It kinda matters on how far your gonna go with your install really. This system is based on a points scale to run a return or return less fuel setup. I decided to run a return and it opened up a small can of worms because I can't leave well enough alone! Wanted an internal fuel pump so I upgraded the tank to the efi one....which turned into a body lift.....which turned into new fan shroud. Meanwhile I couldn't handle the dirt anymore so I'm wheeling away at the frame and getting some black on it before I put it back together. not to mention all new braided fuel lines, A/N fittings, regulator, and a few several hours installing it all. I'm sure you can understand where I'm going with this ha
All in all this was stuff that needed done anyway...so the efi kinda forced me in that direction sooner then later. The guys at WH are a great group that have answered many of my questions I had on the atomic. it truly is a nice system once you get it setup. Has tons of great features and really looks bitchin! There alot of talk about it on here if ya search for it. Many negative, but I think if your patient and read everything through it'll work out nice for ya. Good luck and let me know how it works out!

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
ive gotten to the point where most everything on ol sally is new. the only thing original on it is the motor and frame. i might eventually upgrade the fuel lines if i ever have any issues with the lines provided with the kit. i already have the 23 gallon efi tank for the return lines. my current distributor is fine, but i dont know if it would be better with the MSD Distributor.

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
The msd has the ability to self adjust timing on the fly which I thought was nice. And the 2 fan controls is a nice feature as well. The timing is after about 500 miles of learning which I haven't hit yet. Sounds like wwe are on similar paths with the drive train. Once you get it going there's plenty of settings to dial in. Pump squirt, throttle blades, etc. Let me know if I can help ya out in anyway.....it got a bit frustrated getting it adjusted right.....but once I was schooled on it it became a breeze

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On any EFI install (factory or aftermarket) I think one of the more important things you can do is make sure your chassis electrical system is above average in condition and updating.
Sounds like you have new wiring already Nate? If so, you're most of the way there anyway. If you updated your grounding above and beyond what the factory put in, then you're there.

Just make sure that the engine and body and frame are well grounded to the battery AND each other. Can never have too many grounds...

Have fun with the setup.

Paul

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
The msd has the ability to self adjust timing on the fly which I thought was nice. And the 2 fan controls is a nice feature as well. The timing is after about 500 miles of learning which I haven't hit yet. Sounds like wwe are on similar paths with the drive train. Once you get it going there's plenty of settings to dial in. Pump squirt, throttle blades, etc. Let me know if I can help ya out in anyway.....it got a bit frustrated getting it adjusted right.....but once I was schooled on it it became a breeze

I'm not 100% sure if my intake manifold will work for the injectors though. What does the right manifold look like?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any standard 4bbl manifold is what works for the MSD Atomic. Since this is a Throttle Body Injection setup, the injectors are mounted to the TB unit itself. Pretty much 85% self-contained and you just bolt-n-go. Relatively speaking that is...;D

Paul

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I have it installed for about two years without the timing control. It works well but to have it work great I think you need to have it control the timing. when I bought mine they had a promo on it that included the 6AL box so I lucked out.

The biggest challenge for me was the 02 bung, which I slightly broke the rule by putting it after the header flange but before the exhaust goes into 1. Otherwise it is just some wires, the fuel line that comes with the kit and you are done. You may want to get some lube for the fuel lines, they can be a bitch to push onto those fittings.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No. At least not without an appropriate 2-to-4 barrel adapter plate.
Not sure I'd waste all that money and put it on a 2bbl manifold with adapter though. I would think it would lose at least some of it's efficiency down the tube, so to speak.
I don't know this, but seems like a modern 4bbl intake would be slightly more effective anyway, and without having to resort to the adapter, you'd be ahead of the game.

Paul

OP
OP
nate213

nate213

Loc.
West jordan, Utah
I have the atomic on my 351. It kinda matters on how far your gonna go with your install really. This system is based on a points scale to run a return or return less fuel setup. I decided to run a return and it opened up a small can of worms because I can't leave well enough alone! Wanted an internal fuel pump so I upgraded the tank to the efi one....which turned into a body lift.....which turned into new fan shroud. Meanwhile I couldn't handle the dirt anymore so I'm wheeling away at the frame and getting some black on it before I put it back together. not to mention all new braided fuel lines, A/N fittings, regulator, and a few several hours installing it all. I'm sure you can understand where I'm going with this ha
All in all this was stuff that needed done anyway...so the efi kinda forced me in that direction sooner then later. The guys at WH are a great group that have answered many of my questions I had on the atomic. it truly is a nice system once you get it setup. Has tons of great features and really looks bitchin! There alot of talk about it on here if ya search for it. Many negative, but I think if your patient and read everything through it'll work out nice for ya. Good luck and let me know how it works out!

what fuel pressure regulator do you recommend? the one i bought isnt going to fit.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Guys you that have used this set up.. How does it handle moving from Basically sea level up to say 7500 ft..
...I'll subscribe soI can listen to this set up build.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not mine, but Johnny (at Wild Horses) has had his up near 9000' in the Sierras and to more moderate elevations in southern CA and loves it. It acts like any normally aspirated EFI setup would. You won't retain all of your sea-level power, but unlike a craberater, you hardly notice the elevation changes any more.
Turbos and superchargers take care of the rest, but in lieu of one of those power adders, computer controlled EFI is great. Even the simpler TBI type like we're discussing.

Same thing I've noticed on other EFI engines. What used to really tax a lower-powered heavy vehicle (namely, climbing the high mountain passes on the highways), no longer seems to deserve much notice. At least not as much as before.

Hopefully others that use theirs more often will have more confirming feedback for you. Interested in any not-so-positive experiences too.
Also be interested to hear if anyone has used both stock and aftermarket air-cleaners and noticed any difference.

Paul

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
Pretty sure this is the one I used. I'd have to double check once I'm home.....it looks exactly the same. Seems to work pretty well and is easily dialed in

Attachments

• aei-13109_w.jpg
    aei-13109_w.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 9

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13109

This may help a little more

I have a few pictures in my garage that shows where I mounted it. its a little high up for hood clearance, but I liked being able to see the pressure gauge easily. May or may not work for your setup. I ended up putting a spacer on just to help clean up the linkages, so a high rise hood is needed for that application anyway.

Last edited: