• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horses Rear Inboard Shock Mount and Super 9” Housing… did I do this right? Video…

ProjectWrongWay

Contributor
Alright bronco wizards. I’ve installed the Wild Horses Rear Inboard Shock Mount, and the Super 9” Housing, but before I weld it permanently I wanted the opinion of those who have been here before. Does this look right? And feel free to subscribe for the hell of it…

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Install looks fine to me, and some nice looking work going on :)

Will not beat up a nice looking build:) all I will say is think about how shocks work, the forces at play and will they effectively control that motion in that orientation? Think back to the old Pontiac commercial from the late 90’s is wider better?

Looks like your enjoying the build and it is looking nice!

OP
OP
ProjectWrongWay

ProjectWrongWay

Contributor
Install looks fine to me, and some nice looking work going on :)

Will not beat up a nice looking build:) all I will say is think about how shocks work, the forces at play and will they effectively control that motion in that orientation? Think back to the old Pontiac commercial from the late 90’s is wider better?

Looks like your enjoying the build and it is looking nice!
Never too late to make corrections! Thank you for the feedback, do you think I’d be better off using the original mounts?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Never too late to make corrections! Thank you for the feedback, do you think I’d be better off using the original mounts?
I would - or some variation thereof- at least keep them outboard of the frame if possible. I ran inboard shocks back in the days when I was trying for max articulation and we didn't have as many shock length options as we do now. I had more body roll, as you might expect. As the '00s dawned and Bilstein expanded their offerings, I was able to move them back outboard. A simple "grab the rollcage and rock the truck" test showed that outboard was a lot better. You can now get mounts from WH, Duffs, and maybe others that are based on the mount style that I use.

Todd Z.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I don't have any advice on the shock placement, but that was a great video. Very funny and entertaining!

And, whether I like it or not, I will be referring to my steering as "Hymen" now, thanks, lol.

OP
OP
ProjectWrongWay

ProjectWrongWay

Contributor
I don't have any advice on the shock placement, but that was a great video. Very funny and entertaining!

And, whether I like it or not, I will be referring to my steering as "Hymen" now, thanks, lol.
Thanks man.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I agree with @toddz69 stock or some rendition there of. There was a time and place for the inboard set up but it has long since passed.

Thanks for not being offended. Never want to be negative about hard work, especially when it’s coming together as clean as yours looks to be. But out board shocks will handle better in every situation.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another great vid. Thanks!
And thanks for the shout-outs. Were you at the Roundup last month?
Luckily your wife is there to hand you bolt bags and give you sound words of wisdom. Documenting the carnage and saving your life a few times over too I would think as well!
Just kidding, I haven't seen many life threatening situations develop just yet. But close!

The Por-15, just like powder, adds just enough extra material that things like bushing fitment are problematic. Sometimes you have to spread an ear or two on a bracket even with bare metal to get the new bushings in, but almost every time a part is powder coated or Por-15'ed you have that much more trouble.

And as you found out. like so many others before you, the shackle has to go on the spring first. Before mounting it to the frame hanger. This is so that the bolt can go in from the inside out and you can put the nut on, without it interfering with the frame.

Hmm, watching this I would think you could go one step further (towards crazy?) and put the lower bolts in the mounts first. You would weld them to the mounting brackets, then weld the bracket to the axle tube. This gives you a simple stud mount to attach the shocks to. Just a nut away from completion then, rather than fighting the hidden nut and a bolt from the outside.

I generally agree with what was said already, but shock damping can also be tailored/tuned to the inboard mounting to help on the street. Anti-sway bars are another step up.
Nice score on the shocks by the way. But checking length would be a good thing anyway. Might not be the optimum length. Or they might be!
Looks like you mounted them to the outboard upper holes too. Agree with that position, and it looks more appropriate for the shock length at least initially.
And in this position, they are not at as much of an angle, even compared to the stock mounting I don't think (anyone have an angle finder they care to use on their stock shocks?), so the effective damping of the shocks in increased. The closer to vertical (or to the plane of travel) a damper is, the more effect on damping it has for a given valving.
You can also use an adjustable shock as well, such as the Rancho 9000 to fine tune things while using a more inboard oriented attitude.
It's not the total answer, but here again maybe the stiffer shocks and anti-sway bars would overcome any extra side roll/lean while cornering?

All that said, I still use the outer mounts (stock location and stock mimic dual location if desired) on mine and it works fine for street and even semi-technical off-roading. Which I hope to do again someday when I have time!
As was said, if you're not trying for a simple way of maximizing wheel travel at the expense of some street control, the inboard shock mount is an easy and inexpensive way to get there. But if continuing down this path, a set of anti-sway bars would also be on my short list.

Anyone running the inboard mounts with sway bars? Don't remember seeing that combo discussed here before.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks again for using one of our Super-9 housings. I think it's a great product at a pretty reasonable price. A good value for a heavy duty part.

Just FYI, your original "medium duty" housing is still quite a good rear end housing and some might find it even desirable. Selling it later will even help compensate for some of your other costs in the end. Along with other leftover parts.
Medium Duty is just a nickname that we've given to the housing with big bearings, but smaller brakes. The other two are small bearing, small brake, and big bearing, big brake. This is just a combination of those that needs to be differentiated from them when ordering parts.
The bearing size is the large one, but the brake bolt pattern (housing end pattern) is for the smaller brakes. But that means it might be desirable for those wanting to bolt on factory Explorer rear disc brakes. Not exclusive to this rear end, but it does make it easier to accomplish.

So you can sell it on to someone for that use and they'd be happy. Or to someone upgrading from a small bearing housing and make them even happier!

Paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Paul, I’ll add to your question about inboard shocks and a rear sway bar. Why add a sway bar when normally just moving the shocks solves the issue, or makes it equal to them being out board to begin with? I’ve driven EB’s with sway bars front and rear, they handle great. That being said I’m not apposed to them just prefer to not have them. I also don’t find body roll offensive as long as the shock valving is in check.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That was kind of my point that I didn't make well. Saying that, if staying with the inboard, perhaps a sway bar will help with the lean/roll.
Not that the combination was necessarily a better way to go, just that it was one option for using the inboard mount.
Some people use the mounts because they cure a problem, fill a bill, or just that they already have them (or that they look cool).
Nothing wrong with using stock outboard mounts at all, as I was saying I preferred as well.

Paul