• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wilwood elect line lock died after 24 years... replacement options?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Wilwood doesn't make them anymore (installed these in '96) and the few electric ones I've seen (that aren't china made) can only be on for 60 sec or less. Low quality solenoids I'm guessing??

IF I can't find a decent priced electric I can go manual also with a nice lever or pushbutton on/off switch. Not as convenient but I'm function over form... :)

Don't want cheap- another 20+ years would be nice! Thanks

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'm looking at this TBM if I stay electric. The Mico elect line lock carries Mico's $$$ . I might have to call and ask if its continuous duty... then if I accidentally leave it on and don't have to worry...

Thanks.

Otherwise I'll go with what Steve posted or similar... they should last as long as I do!!! ;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've got a brakelock on the 72. It's a dash mounted line lock that's actuated with a cylinder key. Locks all 4 calipers. Wish they were still available. They used to advertise in the car and truck magazines. The owner died and that was it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'll call Wilwood back...maybe go with the "tech line" instead of sales... maybe they have some parts on the back shelf... sure worth a try!!

Thanks 73azbronco

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I think you're 100% right there Jon...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I like the electric for being a clean install. However I feel the manual valves have an advantage. If your doing a front or rear dig you can turn off the front or rear brakes and use the brake pedal to be able to modulate and control that process. The only way to do that with an electric is to install it backwards and then it doesn’t work for an auxiliary parking brake

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hmmm, never tried it but couldn't you hit the electric switch and the fluid couldn't go thru the elect line lock valve because it's "locking" and blocking flow to what it sees as pressure on the caliper side of the valve???

Huckit36

Was about to ask for advice on a line lock, but fortunately found this thread. I have a pretty poor e brake at the moment that I can’t seem to get to engage all the way. Makes me a little nervous. I’ve never used a line lock before, are they good to use for long periods of time? Like parking on a hill for days at a time? And installation seems simple enough, cut the rear line and install the valve? Thanks

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
They work great but there are inherent problems with them.

Electric- need power to hold the valve shut... obviously won't hold for days ( I can tell you that after 5 days two of them will suck a large gel battery so low that it won't even light up an LED!!) They also have a low pressure switch that will activate a horn, light, etc and several times on their page and on the instruction sheet highly recommend connecting it to a horn.

Manual- works great. But still has limitations... the company with the best reputation for line locks is Mico-lock. Mico lock highly recommends checking the line lock every hour as temperature of the brakes immediately after stopping can cause failures from the pressure in the lines reducing as it cools so your pressure dissappears and so does your rig- down the hill :( OR extremely high outside temps can cause an increase in pressure therefore making it extremely difficult to release the brakes. They also stress a line lock is only a SUPPLEMENT to a conventional parking brake (their disclaimer I'm sure).

I have used line locks for decades on my Bronco. Works great but I know they are temporary. Longest they are on is for a lunch break on a trail run. A couple brands actually state that they aren't to be left on for 60seconds or more....

Most new electric ones are JUNK.

Huckit36

Just watched their video Only for an hour. Makes sense though. The mico one costs a pretty penny. Would the electric one from Summit (for drag cars) be the same difference? Wondering why the +-200 dollar difference. It sounds like the lever lock is probably preferred to electric, but running lines into the cab (if I’m understanding the instal correctly) sounds like a pain in the ass

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Hmmm, never tried it but couldn't you hit the electric switch and the fluid couldn't go thru the elect line lock valve because it's "locking" and blocking flow to what it sees as pressure on the caliper side of the valve???

All of the electric ones I’ve messed with have been directional. Have never had the opportunity to use a micro lock, maybe they are not. always either used manual for myself cuz I’m cheap or electrics that we’re provided.

The ones I’ve used when you flip the switch it worked like a check valve. You could use the brake pedal to make more pressure but it wouldn’t release. Until it was turned off

Jfryjfry

You can install them backwards and then they do work as surmised above- if you flip the switch and then hit the brakes they block those brakes. We use them like this for stunt driving all of the time.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Same experiences here Steve... I've only had the 2 in my Bronco but used many different ones in trucks, forklifts, etc.

Huckit36- I think there is a big difference in build quality btw the Mico and everybody else's.

Not onenof the "other " brands even references that it can be used to help as a parking brake. Several say 60 seconds on is all it can be used... either as a liability OR the 6 1/2 amp draw (on one model) and/or they are worried about the unit self destructing.

I used 2 Wilwood brand unists for over 24yrs... they don't even make them anymore..
liability??? Probably

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So you all will know. Mico is over 2 months out on the electric line lock. The sales rep said that when engaged there is no current draw unless the pressure in the line goes down a lot then the warning switch goes on ...

Even tho my Wilwood lasted 24+ years I would rather have the security knowing that if a fuse blew or something electrical failed I wouldn't have brakes so... for the money it's worth it.

I'm going Mico in Nov.

Last edited: