• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winch comparisons... low buck or "Brand Name"?

OX1

Bronco Guru
A monster, but I never had anything pull harder than my M12000. I've thought of selling it a bunch of times
over the years, since I don't mud a full size on 44's anymore, but I figure I will never get one made "back in the day"
again.

So is it worth trying to find an older winch and fix it up, vs ANY of the new winches?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started out wheeling my '69 with one of the cheaper 12000 chinese winches. It pulled fine but was embarrassingly slow. I went to an 8274 and never looked back since. I did burn the motor up once, trying to get Eugene's buggy out of a hole in a rock pile. Took the motor apart later and repaired it myself. The 8274 on front of my '78 Bronco is one of the earlier generation units that I complete restored/rebuilt.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
A monster, but I never had anything pull harder than my M12000. I've thought of selling it a bunch of times
over the years, since I don't mud a full size on 44's anymore, but I figure I will never get one made "back in the day"
again.

So is it worth trying to find an older winch and fix it up, vs ANY of the new winches?
All about parts availability.

I think you can buy any 8274 part and of course it will cost 2x or more to rebuild than to buy any of the new ones in the article. :(

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
My M15000 is currently in boat anchor status. It is unstoppable when it works, but it sure does love solenoid packs. Back in 2002 I had to have the baddest you know what for a winch. I did not care that it weighs 135 pounds alone and the bumper we built weighed around 110 pounds as well. Needless to say the M15 will likely be fixed and become a trailer ornament and I will end up with a knock off on the bronco. Both will likely have less than 2 full pulls in 5 years.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
I have a VR10 on my 6G and it's been fine so I picked up another for the 66, they were on sale for $280 last year. Hard to complain at that price. I accept that it's Chinese, but Warn's service has been great so far, I stripped a mounting bolt during install, probably my fault, and they sent a new hardware kit no charge.

Last edited:

Contributor
I have a VR10 on my 6G and it's been fine so I picked up another for the 66, they were on sale for $280 last year. Hard to complain at that price. I accept that it's Chinese, but Warn's service has been great so far, I stripped a mounting bolt during install, probably my fault, and they sent a new hardware kit no charge.
When and where were they on sale at that price? Would love to pick one up at that price point.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have an old 9500i Warn winch and although it's almost as fast as the 8274 and needs a couple of solenoids, she is starting to lose some luster and I may go to the Apex and some point.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 8274 on front of my '78 Bronco is one of the earlier generation units that I complete restored/rebuilt.
Didn’t you do a full write up on that with pictures many years ago?
I seem to remember somebody doing it. If not here, then, maybe on one of the full-size bronco forums.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have an old 9500i Warn winch and although it's almost as fast as the 8274 and needs a couple of solenoids, she is starting to lose some luster and I may go to the Apex and some point.
Replace the solenoids with a contactor switch, simpler less expensive and more reliable.

There are domestic options… but very happy with These, I have several winches running them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 16

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one of those; bought it new. Good line speed..totally unreliable solenoid pack. Then the in-out froze up in the engaged position. For that matter, I scrapped a Warn 8000 because of the unreliable solenoid pack.

msmith

That’s exactly what I put on my car trailer. Haven’t tried hoisting a skid steer but it doesn’t break a sweat on my Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put a HF with steel cable on my gooseneck. Haven't tried a skid steer either but have pulled dead tractors up on it with no problems.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I watched my neighbor pull his 33' Grady White at the ramp with 2000lb. Badlands from HF on his roller trailer. I hung around to watch the burning wreckage happen to the winch, but it never happened. 🤔 It sure did need a good battery though. It killed one and he had to get another.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Replace the solenoids with a contactor switch, simpler less expensive and more reliable.

There are domestic options… but very happy with These, I have several winches running th-
Question-
1- Totally un-researched question on my part but can you still run a switch in the cab if you also run this wireless control solenoid?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@nvrstuk Yes you can. Mine are wired for a pendant, and in cab. You can also add in the wireless module as well. I’ve never run a wireless that I was happy with so I’ve always hard wired in the cab with a pendant option at the winch, or close to it. Albright contactor switches, or copies of, are the only way to go and why most new winches come with one, even the cheap Chinese ones, they actually started it and others had to catch up, and some have not.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I had one of those; bought it new. Good line speed..totally unreliable solenoid pack. Then the in-out froze up in the engaged position. For that matter, I scrapped a Warn 8000 because of the unreliable solenoid pack.
Yep I believe it. I will probably end up replacing the solenoid pack and sticking it on the car hauler. Which funny enough it has a 5000lb harbour freight mini winch on it now, and it's really slow as shit but never quits.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had an old HF winch. Pulled fine but was painfully slow. That was 20 years ago.
Since then they completely redid there winch line. The old stuff was "REP" series, the new stuff is Badlands.
The Badlands actually has good line speed from what I hear and is overall a really good winch.
I just picked up a Steageon (can't spell) Jungle model off the jungle website. I just put it in a ¾ ton and need to wire it up. Spool of real copper wire just arrived, maybe a weekend project if the weather cooperates. The power leads are heavy on the insulation and light in weight, Aluminum wire. I hooked it up just enough to make sure it works (vice grips to the boat battery). The quick click of the in button was enough to tell me it should have good line speed for a 13,000 winch. I already went and modified it. Hidden mount and no way to pull the clutch release. Found an air cylinder with the right threads to replace the handle and the shaft diameter is correct for the locking pin. Move the return spring from the handle into the air cylinder. Going to get a 5-port, 2-position air switch and use that for the clutch release. Already have on board air.