• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield frame differences electric vs vac wiper?

DC_Gearhead

So I’m looking to get a new windshield frame and I’m seeing that all of them say “66-77”. Mine is a 68 and I’m keeping my vac wipers. Am I wrong in assuming the windshield frames are different for electric vs vacuum wipers? Does anyone know which one is good for vac wipers? I’m fine adding some rivnuts or drilling out the holes but I want to be sure I can make the mods.

After seeing how rusted my frame was I’m leaning towards one of the SS frames.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The spacing is different I think to allow for the linkage on the electric. With that said I cant think of a reason why the vaccuum wipers wouldnt work with the later windshield

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

The spacing is different I think to allow for the linkage on the electric. With that said I cant think of a reason why the vaccuum wipers wouldnt work with the later windshield

My other worry is that I read when you convert over to electric wipers you need to drill out the shaft hole. That makes me think the shaft holes may be too big for my vac shafts.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My other worry is that I read when you convert over to electric wipers you need to drill out the shaft hole. That makes me think the shaft holes may be too big for my vac shafts.

Not sure about that one. I think the blades are interchangeable.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My windshield frame is a '68. The electric wiper shafts are shifted to the left or driver side. The drivers wiper shaft in only moved an inch or two. The passenger side is moved to be near the center of the frame. The electrics don't swing as far as vacuum wipers. That's true for the early '70s FJ40 electric wipers (what I have) too. So I'll have to drill new holes. The reduced angle of swing is why they have to be closer together. The '68 frame was made to fold down so it has a clip to secure it to the loop on the hood. If you want to put a top on or even the riser for a rag/bikini top you'll find the bolt holes are in different places except the end and center holes. These were changed to allow the OE electric wipers to fit. Otherwise the frames are the same for all years.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

My windshield frame is a '68. The electric wiper shafts are shifted to the left or driver side. The drivers wiper shaft in only moved an inch or two. The passenger side is moved to be near the center of the frame. The electrics don't swing as far as vacuum wipers. That's true for the early '70s FJ40 electric wipers (what I have) too. So I'll have to drill new holes. The reduced angle of swing is why they have to be closer together. The '68 frame was made to fold down so it has a clip to secure it to the loop on the hood. If you want to put a top on or even the riser for a rag/bikini top you'll find the bolt holes are in different places except the end and center holes. These were changed to allow the OE electric wipers to fit. Otherwise the frames are the same for all years.

Great info. Thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
jkkys...

Use the 68 holes, lengthen the arm between two wiper shafts and ENJOY the benefit of a wiper blade that actually clears the 6-8" of windshield on the pass side!!

I did this mod back in 1977, BEST thing I did for a couple years until I started other mod's.

I live in snow country... how in the HECK did the FORD engineers EVER allow an 6-8" blindspot to occur... when they swapped from a vacuum system (what a JOKE), to the electric... yes, the wipers cover the center of the windshield too...best of both worlds...

Remount the motor, lengthen the arm between the two wiper pivot points and viola!!! You'll be able to see out your windshield !!

Allows use of stock wiper stuff...just lengthen the connecting arm.

Last edited:

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
DC, same situation here, I did add the later model electric wipers to my 67/68 frame. The holes on the inside had to be enlarged slightly, but the outside remained the same size.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've owned both types for 45 yrs. and know there's no problem with a small uncovered area on the right edge of the windshield. From the driver's viewpoint you only see it at a shallow angle that's hardly noticeable. The window and door frame block far more of the view. Just talk to anyone who has owned and driven one of the electric wiper Broncos. The portion of the windshield in front of the driver is the important part. My FJ40 wipers have 14" blades and know they don't cover the middle of the windshield that's far more important than the far right end.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, I've driven Broncos for 48 yrs so I've got a "little" bit of experience driving them and understanding that yes, its important to be able to see straight out thru the windshield from the drivers seat.

I'll bet we all can agree on that! :)

So if the hole is in the same location for the DS wiper arm pivot point then the "important part" of seeing straight ahead is the same -correct?

If it's the same then why not have 6-8" of unobstructed view out the windshield? If you've ever ridden as a passenger in that seat during a snow storm you will agree with what I'm trying to say!

Why wouldn't it be important to have a clear unobstructed view out the windshield if you can get one? Not talking blind spot looking back-

46 yrs of using both... have you driven in a snowstorm and had ALL areas of the windshield glass not cleared by the wipers be totally covered in snow? Very common in my part of the country-like looking thru 2 paper towel cardboard tubes...

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Looks like i need to buy the frame and take some pics. After seeing the amount of rust on my frame and drilling out 57 spot welds on the frame, I don't want to ever replace that thing again, so I"m buying the stainless steel windshield frame from Tom's. I'll try my vacuum wipers just for curiosity, but I'll be buying an electric conversion setup.

I grew up in the mountains of Utah, so snow on my windshield was a big concern. Defrost was a bigger concern. Now I live in Washington DC, so I'll need to worry about BS getting on my windshield. It is a different color, but still obstructing my view...hahah.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I grew up in the mountains of Utah, so snow on my windshield was a big concern. Defrost was a bigger concern. Now I live in Washington DC, so I'll need to worry about BS getting on my windshield. It is a different color, but still obstructing my view...hahah.

I heard that stuff was slick so make sure the 4x4 is in good working order, so you don't get mired down in all of it!

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
DC, I took my electric setup out, decided not to use it after the "remodel." It's the later year, stock setup. I did lengthen it for my vacuum windshield frame, but it's just a bolt in spacer. I'll trade you some DC Brau for it. LoL, I am in Manassas if you're interested.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

DC, I took my electric setup out, decided not to use it after the "remodel." It's the later year, stock setup. I did lengthen it for my vacuum windshield frame, but it's just a bolt in spacer. I'll trade you some DC Brau for it. LoL, I am in Manassas if you're interested.

I’m in for a trade. I’ll message you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I heard that stuff was slick so make sure the 4x4 is in good working order, so you don't get mired down in all of it!

Yeah....i had to put a lift on my rig for that reason.....and a body lift.....and roll cage....and....i guess i just needed an excuse. Hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Just talked to my wife and she doesn't like the uncovered rt. side of the windshield either. i measured the sweep angles and I see why Ford, Jeep, and Toyota did it that way. The vacuum wipers swing a 140 degree arc. The electrics only go 110 degrees. By using the vacuum wiper pivot points for electrics you get a big triangular un-swept area in the middle. I'd rather it be on the rt. end as the driver. So do the truck manufacturers.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Mine overlapped in the middle when i converted from vacuum to electric. I remember that was a deal breaker and I didnt realize at the time (before I mounted them) of the difference btw the va uum and electric arc.. I think I remember I mounted the wiper blade 1" below the upper gasket so it would overlap in the middle. Then switch it back after the snow season when I pulled the rubber covered "winter blades" off.

The other simple fix is to change (shorten) the pivot/mounting point on the arm on the part that sticks through the windshield-effectively making the stroke longer. Best of both worlds.