• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Frame Install

Traveler25

Loc.
Temecula
Has anyone ever installed the windshield frame without the hinge?
I am thinking of welding the outside of the frame to the upper cowling with a solid piece of 1" wide x 3/16" thick bar welded across the top of the cowling to compensate for the hinge thickness. I am thinking this would keep the water from seeping into the hinge area.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought about that many times. Not sure if I remember ever hearing anyone doing it, but like most things we can think of, someone else has almost always tried it.

Not sure how well it would work, but one thing I would make darn sure of first though, is that the doors line up perfectly right now, and that you set up the windshield angle to match the front door edge.
And only tack weld it in place until you make sure that the hard top and doors and anything else I can't think of line up first!

Good luck. Interested to see pics if anyone has done it.

Paul

Hopstr

Contributor
Exactly what I have been planning to do on my half cab, as I don't plan on removing the top. Will be watching to see if others have done this.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Buddy of mine, marshall on here, has a fg body with the windshield frame just bolted in with the two bolts on the dash. We didnt even realize it until we went to replace his dash and had to lean it forward. Was pretty easy cause we just took it off and set it aside. It really isnt even all that flexy for some reason. Maybe he will post a pic......lewis?

Marshall

No hinge on mine

As Crush stated I have no hinges on mine and mine is just fine. I drive it and have absolutely no problems. I never would put it down with the hinges anyway so in my case it works out well. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The hinge allows for a little more windshield to door/roof adjustment for those in "wet" climates.

OP
OP
T

Traveler25

Loc.
Temecula
Marshall,
I looked at your Gallery of pics because I was wondering if you running a hard top as I can see that would add some rigidity to the window frame. It appears you are going topless, correct? Is the windshield top anchored to your roll bar?
Off topic, where do you get the individual wiper motors? Are they synchronized?
Greg