• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Frame Install

vap13

I noticed in the new Bronco Driver magazine they installed the windshield frame using stainless pop rivets. Has anyone tried this? I wonder how good it is compared to the spot welds, it seems like it would be easier.
Paul

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I have been studying on replacing my windsheild frame
for a few years. Tom's has a stock type frame out of stainless
that I am going to get .....one of these days :p , I would think
that even with a new gasket between the hinge and the bottom
of the frame, water would still find it's way around the gasket and
rivets into the holes in the cowl. I know that the first couple of years that the frames where held on with screws. But ford went away from this,
and started spot welding them. I would suspect it might have something to do with them leaking in wet climates. Or it could have been a strenght issue.
I would spot weld it if at all possible.

OP
OP
V

vap13

I have a small spot welder I can use, it has worked ok in the past but I was'nt sure about the windshield frame. I was'nt sure if Ford did it because it was easier or better. I'm probably a month away or more before I get to that point so just wondered if anyone had done it and how it lasted over time.
Thanks - Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stainless pop rivets would be a lot stronger than the aluminum type so I would imagine that they would work. I wouldnt use the aluminum type though. Personnaly I would weld it on but welding stainless to regular steel can be a pain so rivets may be the way to go.

NO GLUE FACTORY

I have aluminum rivets on my frame, but the body shop that is doing the work on my bronco will be replacing with welds, I think that welds should be more stable and less movement you never know rivet heads might break from movement :eek: :(

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I took some 1/4" X 1" grade 8 bolts and used a grinder on the bolt heads until they were thin enough. I staggered them across (20 bolts in all). The downside is only that the nuts would be hard to get to with the dash in.

OP
OP
V

vap13

My frame is steel and not stainless so I guess I will try my spot welder and see how it works. The only thing with welding is that I would think the metal between the hinge and body will have to be clean of any kind of coating for the spot weld to take, which leaves the opportunity for rust again.
Paul

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
vap13 said:
The only thing with welding is that I would think the metal between the hinge and body will have to be clean of any kind of coating for the spot weld to take, which leaves the opportunity for rust again.
Paul

After you get it cleaned and ready to go back together, spray it with a weld-through primer. I picked some up from Eastwood, its called Bloxide part#16050Z.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I've been concerned with the same rust issue (being in the muggy south) and was thinking of just welding the frame solid. Honestly, how many of us have ever really dropped the windshield?
This removes the risk of moisture gettin between the 2 pieces and causing more problems.
What do y'all think of that idea? Lemme know.

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
broncow72 said:
I've been concerned with the same rust issue (being in the muggy south) and was thinking of just welding the frame solid. Honestly, how many of us have ever really dropped the windshield?
This removes the risk of moisture gettin between the 2 pieces and causing more problems.

you have to fold it down to access some screw that hold on the dash.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:

I briefly considered this too a few months ago, but the reason that I didn't was after welding it solid, you wouldn't have access to the screws that hold your dash pad and dash on. You would never be able to remove the dash again. :-[

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Well....Crawlin, 4x4, I won't have a normal dash so that won't be an issue. My current dash is trashed. I plan to mount a dash to my cage system. Any other reasons not to do this?

OP
OP
V

vap13

I think I will keep the option of the windshield folding down, although that is a good idea. Thanks for the tip on the weld through primer, I will definately use it.
thanks - Paul