• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wire Harness: What else should I replace?

HigginsHorse

I'm planning to replace the wire harness in my 71 Sport. Its 3 on the tree, v8 with no PS or PB. It will be used mostly for cruising around town with the occasional off-roading. I already have an "EZ wiring" harness with 21 circuits. I would like to know what other items I should replace. I plan to replace all of the rubber grommets through the firewall, but what sizes are they??? Do one of the Bronco Vendors sell an all-inclusive grommet kit? I hear talk of "grounding bars", which ones do people recommend?? I also have read about "weather packs" , what exactly would I need. What am I not thinking of, that I will need to make a clean install? Would anyone recommend a certain type of looming? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Pics would be helpful as well.
David

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Sell that EZ wiring harness and buy a Centech and all your weatherpak and grommet questions would be solved with that.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't have $400 for a Centech right now. Can I get any other recommendations? Thanks.
David

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some common wear items are the ignition switch, heater control switch, and headlight switches (floor and dash) and connectors. They get worn or corroded, so check them out.
Weatherpaks are nice waterproof connctors used on modern cars. They're great but to do them right you need the crimper for them. You CAN do it without, but it's a pain.
Your harness may have come with new headlight connectors though, so look for those in there.

Like SnwMnkys said, the Centech has most of the Weatherpak connectors and other stuff included. That's why that kind of stuff is more expensive up front, but easier in the end.

What did you end up paying for your EZ, if you don't mind my asking? Was it a big difference? Weatherpaks can be very expensive depending on where you buy them. Local stores are typically very expensive, where Centech and some of the wire houses are fairly reasonable by comparison.

In the end though, it'll all be worth the trouble to have all those new wires and non-rusty fuses!

Paul

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

I spent $120 on the harness. I've been looking at Delcity.net for weather pack kits, looming, switches, wire, etc. I haven't used weather pack before, but it sounds like a great idea. Delcity has a 425pc kit for $40 that looks pretty good. I know I'm not going about this the easiest way, but I've got more time than money and I would still like to do this right.
Thanks for your time
David

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
When you get ready to do the work, post up or send me a pm and I should be able to get up that way and lend a hand.

A good place to find the weatherpacks is a local boat/marine dealer...you can take a look at the stuff before you buy

Ed

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I went the EZ wiring route and thought it was a great solution. Total I think I spent $240 and ended up with a great harness in the end. Everything has weather packs at all connections. Quality heat shrink and switches, sercured with insulated clamps.

Definitly go wit delcity.net for your supplies. Any where else and going to pay too much for the weather paks.

I have a order list that I put together of all the stuff I ordered from Delcity if you want it. I already had the crimpers for the weather pak so I didn't need to buy them but like any good tools it's worth the money for future use.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them. Another advantages over the centech besides cost is you will know your electircal system very well when your done.

Galen

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Galen,
I would to love to see the list of parts you bought. I've been reading threads here and there, but need to compile a list and start purchasing.
Thanks
David

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I get my weatherpak stuff from here, You can take a look and see what you want.
Click on the "product" button, then scroll down to the "catagory" table, click on "multipin connectors".
When you're done with that, look at all the other cool stuff they gots.
There is a minimum order price per item. Last time I bought stuff, it was $5 per.