• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring gurus help (centech specific)

saltyj

Loc.
Weslaco, Tx.
Buttoning up last few things but am snagged on how to incorporate my brake lights into this harness. Mines a 66. Anyone tackle this already?

Edit: my contributor status must have expired. Picture two wires atop the master brake resevoir

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The 66 used a pressure switch on the MC instead of the spring switch on the brake pedal. Sounds like you either need to stay with the pressure switch or change over to the later pedal actuated switch which may require changing the pedal.

OP
OP
saltyj

saltyj

Loc.
Weslaco, Tx.
Thanks, yes I don't mind staying with the pressure switch. I am unsure how to incorporate it into the new harness. I will fire a couple of emails to centech I suppose.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Can you use the later switch? If not cut and splice the brake switch (solider it) put bullet connectors on it

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Assuming you've had the Bronco and the brake lights worked before, and you have a 2-post pressure switch (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/brake_light_switch_66yr) you should be able to simply extend the Centech wires near the pedal out to the engine compartment. For only two wires, you probably wouldn't even need to go to the trouble of cutting the tape and inserting them into the loom to keep things clean.
Either just run them as-is, or tape over them if you want.

If it was me, I wouldn't even cut the ends off. I'd just create two new wires with the correct ends to mate up to the Centech harness ends (flat spade connectors if I remember?), insulate them and run the new ones out to the switch. This way if you ever change to a dual master cylinder and have to use an under-dash switch, you're virtually ready to go.

Trei's method is probably more kosher, as it eliminates one pesky connection. And if you're never going to change the master or brake switch, it's the cleanest way too.

All the replacement harnesses are patterned on the '71 and later models, so in your case, you're forced to modify it. But it should be relatively simple. And it doesn't matter which wire goes to which post since it's just an open-close switch.

Paul

OP
OP
saltyj

saltyj

Loc.
Weslaco, Tx.
Thanks

Thank you guys, ended up doing what Paul had suggested. The pressure sensor was actually bad so that kind of tripped me up.