• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring gurus related to headlights

SP66

Bronco Guru
Complete rookie question. My light switch is working. All my gauges work. Turn signals rear lights work. Tried a new headlight harness did not help the on off of the head lights and flickering. Cleaned up the wiring at switch that's the story and the rookie question. Can I leave all alone but thread some new wires from the switch behind the dash directly to the headlights by passing all other functions. Thanks.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Did you replace the headlight switch? Could be a faulty switch. You could use a continuity tester to verify the switch contacts. I own a tester with leads you clip on to terminals and it can be set for checking for open or closed circuit. Meaning, you are trying to say test if something is going open or closed, you would set the tester as such, then operate the switch or giggle connections looking for bad or momentary contact.

EDIT: Sorry, you said the switch is working. How did you verify that? Sounds like you need to track the voltage to the headlight plugs. Follow the power and look for the bad connection.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, but don't just yet.

Lights going on and off is usually the circuit breaker inside the switch telling you that either the switch is too old, or the load too high from older wires and connections (or brighter lights?).
Flickering is usually the charging system.

If it's rhythmic rather than intermittent, then it's likely the charging system needing some TLC.

If the lights going out is common, try disconnecting one lamp at it's connector first. If that gets rid of the problem, then your best course of action is to install a headlight relay kit (or make your own of course) like we sell to take the load off of the switch.
Better and brighter. Period.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys related to the switch all the vendors sell the switch but has anyone found and replaced the pigtail plug. Don't see it on the websites. Guess I call around tomorrow.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys related to the switch all the vendors sell the switch but has anyone found and replaced the pigtail plug. Don't see it on the websites. Guess I call around tomorrow.

No, not an easily sourced part. Which is why all the new wiring harnesses you see (Painless, Centech, etc) include a later model Ford truck light switch. Not because the old design was bad, just because the old connectors were not as easily available as the newer vintage stuff is.

If you're going to replace the pigtail then, you might be better off finding the newer one and getting a new matching switch to along with it.

And I know you deleted this post, but I thought it had some pertinent items to make notes on during this discussion. Hope you don't mind.;D

Thanks guys related to the switch it's about 2 years new. Figured if I pulled the headlight switch and the lights come on it wasn't a switch problem but from your comments sounds like it could be bad.

Yes and no. While today's stuff is literally crap, a tripping circuit breaker is just as likely (if not more) to be too much resistance in the 50 year old wiring.

There were some frayed and uninsulated wires near the plug that I cleaned up. But had my wife in front and the headlights never flickered as I pulled and twisted each wire individually.

Well, that's both a good and bad sign. Good that you did not notice any flickering or change, but bad that they're frayed in the first place.
Are any of the individual strands broken? If so, then yes it should be repaired/replaced.

I added then removed the new wiring harness after first it did not help and then began to blow it's fuse.

Which wiring harness is this? One of the relay harnesses?
If that did not help, then I would definitely look into a new switch again. And since you'd be doing new again, and still need wiring it sounds like, maybe that newer pigtail and switch would be in order.

Sorry again to bring up something you deleted, but I had not read your first post closely enough apparently where you said clearly that you had a "harness" and I didn't think to ask about that before commenting on the relays.

Good luck!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Get a headlight relay setup to take the load off the headlight switch breaker.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
Thanks to all for the feedback. After pming w Paul I decided to buy a new switch, nightlighter harness for the lights, and while on WH ended up with some new floor mats and a WH Camo hat. Love these Broncos.