• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

worst mistake your PO did you had to undo??

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
?:?:)

My po bedlined the entire interior and sealed surface rust underneath to marinate and fester. Now I am looking at replacing pans for an otherwise cherry-pie rig. How about you???

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
What a list. It was rode hard & put away wet. Hanging wiring that looks like psychedelic spaghetti. The exhaust system with its twists, turns, & hacked together parts make it look like it was built from a bowl of macaroni. Italian food fab work. But hey, I wanted a project.

The worst thing found so far were the grade 5 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. Not that bad to change since I was already in there when I found them. But that could have been ugly. I guess the worst undoing task is that there are just so many things to undo.

Here's a pic of the super extendo bump stops complete with battery cable dampener. :eek: Further back in the pic you can see the wrong block plate not aligning with the bellhousing. Changing that plate out is how I found the grade 5s.

059.jpg

nickgp

Bronco Guru
How about passenger side front door jamb fabbed out of 3/16 inch plate! Chopping it out and replacing with new piece must have shaved forty pounds of the 66.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Put the cam thrust plate on wrong and ruined a rebuilt motor. Genius!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well, in the POs defense, sometimes the PO has good intentions but they were just not thinking ahead or got into a big hurry.
Being an original owner, I can see my own short-sighedtness.

To answer your question though, I wish I had painted my engine compartment the body color like Fords were meant to be, rather than black like a Chevy.:-[

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Aside from the bailing wire and duct tape fixes all over the rig, when I pulled the carpet out, I found that someone covered up rusty floor pans with composition roofing shingles. No wonder it was so quiet inside...

The two wires that hung below the dash, that when touched together started the engine were a nice touch too.

I don't even know what else to list, the whole rig was a hack job that somehow ran really well!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK I will let you guess all that is wrong, what does Waldo see wrong?

Aluminum ejectomatic pinion shim
Center bolt impalement device
Regular hose clamp instead of fuel line hose clamp used at the fuel tank
That spring clip looks odd, did they weld tabs onto a leaf spring to keep them aligned?

Going to presume the park brake cable is do to work you are doing.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Not much, really..........:p. At least I didn't care about hacking an "uncut" fender;D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 361

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
0311121458_00.jpg
[/url][/IMG]Well partially correct Waldo. the springs although you can't see them fully( this is a pass) the pack was made up of cut pieces of different leafs stacked together and at different angles to account for a 3" lift. The spring clamps were sprung up and left that way, the center pin was left untrimmed, the upper spring plate is often missed is sideways not orientated correctly, causing the u-bolts to be angle to reach. This was a supposed 4x4 shop up in Salinas Ca, who did this or so the PO said. Same shop that left installed a BL and left them unbolted onto body.

Last edited:

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
PO on mine used, roofing tin, no parking signs, 10 gal of bondo, to hold the body together and a chunk of steel I-beam welded to the frame to act as the body mount and floor channel support on the drivers side

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
0311121458_00.jpg
[/url][/IMG]Well partially correct Waldo. The shim is backwards, under the block which is also backwards further causing the pinion to be out of alignment with driveshaft, the springs although you can't see them fully( this is a pass) the pack was made up of cut pieces of different leafs stacked together and at different angles to account for a 3" lift. The spring clamps were sprung up and left that way, the center pin was left untrimmed, the upper spring plate is often missed is sideways not orientated correctly, causing the u-bolts to be angle to reach. This was a supposed 4x4 shop up in Salinas Ca, who did this or so the PO said. Same shop that left installed a BL and left them unbolted onto body.

Excuse the newb question, but how is that pinion shim in backwards? It is installed just like in the "tech article" on the forum. Granted it should be under the springs and is waiting to fly out the way it is installed, but it is set in a position to rotate the pinion up giving a better angle as intended. Is it not?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't see the need for the pinion shim to be between the block and the spring. That would rock the block and slightly shorten the wheelbase. Being that a pinion shim is just a quick way of correcting spring perches that are on at the wrong angle I don't see anything wrong with the location of the angle shim. I've had blocks milled to get the angle I wanted, I had the bottom milled, same location as the shim.

So why does the shim need to be between the spring and the block? I may have been doing thins wrong. Educate me please.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
That shim is pointed the right way. The thick end has to be to the rear to rotate the axle housing clockwise.
ff24a8f46cc5f209ae76273052816511.jpg

LouisT

Loc.
Jefferson, Texas
It's sort of an Easter Egg Hunt! Every time I think I've sorted through it, something else pops up! AND, it was worked on by a rather prestigious Bronco shop here in Texas. I think they just wanted it out of the shop because that's sure what it looks like from their handy work. It's not all bad....just glad I wasn't the one paying for it! %)

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It will point the pinion down/ If front of vehicle is to the Left the pinion to point up needs to be lower at the rear than the front. Take your hand hold it level. That's the spring on the perch level. if you tilt the right side of your hand up it will point the front or the pinion down. Can't make it simpler than that.

But you are not moving the spring. The shim is rotating the axle housing clockwise in relation to the spring. That moves the front of the pinion shaft up. That's what you want. Take a look at this thread. http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267551