• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow, I should have bought that tool years ago!

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
So what tools have you used that you instantly wondered how you ever lived without them? I don't know about everyone else, but it's too easy for me to get in a rut doing things the same way I always have with the same old tools. It's good to see what tools other people swear by.

I'm sure I have several more, but I'll throw out a few:
  • Welder - I didn't realize how much I'd use this until I got one. It's been years and years, but I still use it on almost every major project.
  • Self darkening welding helmet - This was a recent purchase and I'm really kicking myself for not getting one earlier. Welding now is faster, more enjoyable and my welds are nicer because my hand doesn't shift position trying to flip my hood down.
  • Flap discs - These are really basic, but for years and years I used a grinding wheel. The discs are so much nicer.

Dan76

Highlift handle as a breaker bar, I dont know what I did before I ripped this gem off the jack and started wrenching with it.
But seriously I love my heat gun, I can warm up nuts/bolts and get them right off. Works great on locktite too! Makes cleaning sealants and adhesives off surfaces extremely easy to.

Batter powered impact- I havent got one yet because they are spendy but I used my buddy's when I changed out my axles. Let me say what a freaking surprise that was! When he pulled it out I thought it was a joke till it ripped my lug nuts off like they were nothing. I also used it to take off my 40 year old pitman arm. I think his snap-on one was rated to 300 ft/lbs or something like that.

cactushorse

I'm hoping i will get a creeper someday, then i can stop saving cardboard.

Also it's nice to have the 14" chop saw, it makes quick work of most things.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Well I don't have one yet, but I would have to say a car hoist. I'm getting tired of rolling around on the floor while I'm working on a vehicle. That will probably be my next purchase.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Nut cutter
plasma cutter
nibbler
disc/belt sander combo
torch
Automatic center punch

Almost everytime I get a new tool I wonder how I got along without it. There are still plenty of things I want to get. Next on the list is a bead blast cabinet, spendin' too much on the EB right now though.

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
Batter powered impact- I havent got one yet because they are spendy but I used my buddy's when I changed out my axles. Let me say what a freaking surprise that was! When he pulled it out I thought it was a joke till it ripped my lug nuts off like they were nothing. I also used it to take off my 40 year old pitman arm. I think his snap-on one was rated to 300 ft/lbs or something like that.

When I was wrenching for a living this was the one tool none of us could do without. That was what you bought with your first paycheck. I live next to a snap-on guy and I fight the urge every day to go get one from him. If you got the dough I recommend picking one up.

Smitty

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm hoping i will get a creeper someday, then i can stop saving cardboard.

Also it's nice to have the 14" chop saw, it makes quick work of most things.

Yeah, I'd love to have a chop saw (and a tubing bender!).

The tool I use the most is probably a 3 inch cut-off tool. I can cut really straight cuts with it - and curves if you are careful. Best tool for cutting when installing fender flares.

Lots of various sizes of vice-grips.

And a wire hook think I made out of a old broken choke cable. Come in handy when fishing out small things you can't reach with your fingers - like D44 spindle nuts!

Those composite stripping wheels are really good too for cleaning off paint prior to welding. MUCH better than a sanding disc and won't eat into the metal like a grinder does.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
60 gallon air compressor. Wife asked what I was going to do with such a large unit... I just looked at her and said "everything". Amazing how much she wants to use it now to inflate the kids rafts, balls and some might remember that mega ball contraption... that takes close to 30 minutes with a compressor.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
When I was first working on vehicles, my father had a battery powered impact. I used it for everthing.

New welder. love it.

I am going to get a two post lift once I know where I will live for longer than a year.

and of course 60 gallon compressor with every tool I could think of years ago.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I've always believed that when I needed a tool I bought it, so I have a helluva collection after many years. ;D

Two of the best in my garage are the garage feer fridge and the portable swamp cooler for summer work. :cool:

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
My 9000 lb 2 post hoist is by far my best tool, that I wish I had years ago. My hobby has afforded me to set up a full scale restoration shop. I can finally go from frame to paint in my own shop. Buy quality tools they cost a little bit more but My snap on hand tools, wrenches and sockets will not let you down.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
All of the above plus a mill, lath, tig, tubing notcher and a lot of other stuff but I think the best is the cold saw. If you ever use a cold saw it is real hard to go back to a chop saw. You can cut washers,thin wall tubing or solid spring blocks.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Drill press...just bought one before Christmas and I love it...MUCH more control of location, depth...and it has a LIGHT!!!

BIGED

Guru ????
I Would Have To Say My Garage It Was A Temporary School Class Room ,steel Building 30x30 Wireing And Heat And Air All I Had To Do Was Take It Apart And Put It Back Up. Paid $500.00 ;D ;D

72Quarterhorse

Need a wire feed welder. I fill so bad always borrowing one every time.Maybe this tax return If I'm lucky.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I think my uni-spotter is the best tool I have ever bought. Using it to weld the pins on and pull dents out is WAAAAAY better than drilling holes and using sheet metal screws. It has a tip for shrinking too which comes in handy at times. There are even better tools out there now that don't even need the pins but for me, mine works just fine :)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I think my uni-spotter is the best tool I have ever bought. Using it to weld the pins on and pull dents out is WAAAAAY better than drilling holes and using sheet metal screws. It has a tip for shrinking too which comes in handy at times. There are even better tools out there now that don't even need the pins but for me, mine works just fine :)
Nice to see yoiu post 2bad