• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow, I should have bought that tool years ago!

HigginsHorse

Evil69,
I'm not familiar with what a Rotolock disk is. Would you explain it in laymens terms?

Angle grinder is my number one tool.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
It is an attachment for your drill or zizzwheel. They come in sanding disks and scotchbrite pads. I use the 2 inchers to get into the smaller places. And I guess it would help if I could spell. Found this
http://www.all-tool.com/BY_MASTER_C...ves-Roloc/1in-4in_disk_abrasives-roloc_10.htm

Not sure if they have them up in the size of angle grinders or not. Never seen them at the parts store that big. The sanding disks are nice to do finishing work on welds after taking the majority down with a griner stone.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
The "best" tool depends on my most recent delima during the most recent project.

While cutting out old rockers and welding in my new rock skis, I discovered that a 4 " grinder with a cutoff wheel eats sheet metal way better than my die grinder feed with my underpowered compressor.

My Bronco hobby has pushed my tool collection far beyond where I thought I would go. Chop saw, drill press, Mig welder, bench grinder, 4" hand grinder, big selection of sockets, wrenches, etc.

Also - regarding the discussion about 3/8" impacts, I have used a 3/8" butterfly impact (I think that's what it's called) It fits in the palm of my hand and fits in all sorts of spots. It is very handy for tons of automotive bolt tightening and loosening.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My best tool for the shop has to be the fridge full of beer and other bev's , plus SAT tv. How else can you coerce some friends to come over and help?

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
tools

i wrk at a collision center I kind of take 4 granted the tools needed to wrk on these old rigs. I had to buy alot of tools to do my job but its nice when they already have some stuff. ie 30 ton press, alignment rack, tire mount and balance. they take alot to keep on the road

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
The single most used tool in my life is a Bench vise. So many projects usually require a bench vise plus some other tool. Honorable mention goes to it's neighbor, the bench grinder.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I forgot about this one, a laser level. Not just for hangin' pictures. Pretty cheap too. The line didn't show up very well in the pic, but it works great for marking panels for trim, etc..

DSCN0932.jpg

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
What a great thread. My bigger investments in the last couple years have been a two post 10,000 lbs Ammco lift, and a John Deere tractor ( with fork attachment ). I look back and can't believe I've done this for 20 plus years without them. As for smaller tools, hydrolic brake/ fuel line flaring tool, transfer punches, and wheel dollies for rolling around dead horses.Things for the future, blast cabinet, verticle band saw. Now I'm all wound up, going out to the shop, thanks for the kick in the pants;D

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
My rivit nut tool, has become a handy little tool. I first bought it for a special project. I never though I would use it again, but I keep finding new uses for those little rivit nuts.

Snafu

Loc.
Guntersville, AL
If your talking cheap hand tools it's gotta be spot weld drillbit, great for removing the 492 spot welds holding the windshield on. I recomend the one made by Baird, it comes with replaceable bits.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Some of my favorite tools:
Ratcheting wrenches, lift, mig welder, plasma cutter, cold-cut saw and last but certainly not least, my 80 gal air compressor that is OUTSIDE of the shop so I can hear myself think.

Dale

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
air compressor that is OUTSIDE of the shop so I can hear myself think.
I'm with ya there. I put mine in the basement, the wife doesn't like it much since it's under the kitchen, but it's nice and quiet in the shop/garage.;D

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Sure Chuck. It might be a week before I get back to the shop though. The cart I use is a 5-drawer Craftsman model with a work surface on top.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Snap-on (there is a difference!) left-hand drill bits and extractor set! These really make life simpler removing rust/broken bolts. Really nice to just put that left-hand drill bit up to a broken bolt and pull the trigger on the drill and out comes the broken bolt.

Hot Wrench, i.e. Oxy-Acetylene torch. Nothing says F-U stubborn bolt like cutting it right off. A torch really makes parting out, parts vehicles quick and easy! Just cut stuff off!

Dove-tail dual axle trailer - can't believe how many times I've used my trailer! For both the good times and the bad times! Picked up a few projects with it. Only down side is if your friends know you have a trailer (and truck) you will be on their speed dial to help moving anything - house, furniture, Bronco, broken down vehicle, air-compressor they just bought, kid(s) going to college, divorced wife, divorced husband, whatever!

And on the flip side of Snap-On tools, cheapy tools. Anything Harbor Freight. Yes, they are cheap Chinese junk, but if you think you'll only need a tool once, it's a great place to pick up cheap stuff. They are a piece of junk, a guaranteed piece of junk! I've found Harbor Freight to be fairly generous in their exchange/return policy on broken stuff too. (I wish all my tools could be Snap-On, but I'd be dead broke.)

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
One of my all-time favorites is a 3/8" drive ratchet with a stubby handle, maybe about 3"-4" long; I've got a Craftsman with a flex handle and a Snap-On that's fixed. I use one or the other almost daily on either my Bronco or motorcycles. I've also got a 1/4" drive stubby that gets more use on the motos.