• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow, I should have bought that tool years ago!

BroncoVela

Loc.
South Texas
For years I always wonered if i would have use for an air chisel, I bought a $6 one from harbor freight, it's pretty handy. Also my DA sander...what a gem!!

rednck21

;D where do i start...

flexible magnet
engine hoist
pitman arm puller - cutting them off sucks!
air hammer
good flashlight
assorted picks
a nice roomy toolbox
large assortment of sockets and wrenches - ive kinda got a part time hobby of collecting snap on tools, so my assortment is pretty big:cool:

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
rednck21, being the simpleton that I am, everytime I see your avatar I'm hypnotized by it.
yikes.gif

Ok back to the tools.

Last edited:

Hazegray

Come on man, think, man..think!!

After YEARS of wanting one, my wife bought me a Drill Doctor for Xmas! There is nothing worse than having to fight with a dull drill bit. I've since sharpened every drill bit I own and can't be happier!!!;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
My "must have" tool is what I refer to as my 2nd Saviour.
It's my 4 1/2" grinder.

I've cut off so much metal and bolts with that thing while taking apart 3 Broncos that I think I could take apart the Golden Gate bridge with one and about 1,000,000 cut off disks.

A must have for prettying up welds too, also put a wire wheel on for removing scale and rust.
Damn! It's just about a perfect tool.

I agree. It is the most used and valuable tool that I have. I remember when I first got it, I didn't think that I would use it much. Talk about being dead wrong.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Pry Bars - For years, I used any piece of junk laying around for one, and always had hell. A buddy put me up to buying a set, so I did, and I use them all the time.

Air Chisel - as mentioned before, I'd never used one either. Another good buddy told me to try his out for some work I was doing, I had to have one after that. I decided to spring for a IR, and I'm really glad I did.

3/8" Impact - I've had a 1/2" for years, and I just bought a cheap 3/8" to try out, now I'm in the market for a good IR or similar 3/8. I use it more than my air ratchet by far. It's just so damn useful.

Ratchet Straps - Not only good for holding loads down in the truck, I use them in the shop all the time too. I work alone, most of the time, so I get creative with how to hold parts up, aside, or in place. If it weren't for them, there would probably be a redneck joke about my obituary...

Pen and Paper - Not what anyone expected, huh? My mind goes 100MPH all the time, and if I don't carry around a notebook and pen, I forget a lot of great ideas. I also can't remember a measurement to cut something when I walk from the Bronc to the saw, I have to write stuff down. It also helps me keep up with parts needed lists, to-do lists, and sometimes I just need to draw a picture to see if my idea will work.

Classic Broncos.com - Seriously. Those of you who have been fooling around with Broncos as long (and in many cases longer) than I have, know what I mean. I used to get only the Toms, Duffy's and K Bar S catalogs, and all other info was just left up to the imagination or someone's second hand experience. I can't describe how much I've learned from here, or thank any of y'all enough for your information and input.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
that might be a tad expensive there chuck... might want to think twice ;)
you could end up very well living in the shop, or at least your half of it....
Just kidding about Debbie, she is my #1 but there is a lot of close #2', all of them tools:)

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I spent the 100.00 on a set of crow feet for brake lines on the prop valve. holy crap!!! not bad on the ps box either. I think my favorites are the pullers and pushers though. The u-joint/ball joint press is a must. A nice 2 jaw puller comes in handy as does a steering wheel puller and a ps pump pulley puller/pusher.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
So far would have to be an Engine Hoist. The fold up ones. It is a second person to me. It helps get things in and out of the truck and move things around. Once it pulled about 10 fence posts out. So glad I got it.

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
Without a question my "most used" tool is my 4.5" Dewalt angle grinder. I have used this thing for what seems like 100's of hours and it is still going strong. Anything that doesn't come off easily gets cut and ground. I have replaced 2/3 the sheet metal on my Bronco and this thing has been invaluable!

My "lifesaver" tool is a inexpensive wire pick-up tool, not sure of the real name. It is a 24-36" flexible rod and has a knob on the end that when pushed extends 4 wires out of the end that will pick up anything they can get wrapped around. I can't tell you how many "CRAP!" moments where I dropped something into the nether regions that this thing has saved me.

When it comes to wrenching, I always reach for my 3/8" craftsman flexible 12" ergo ratchet. The length gives you all the leverage you need for any medium sized nut/bolt and the flexible head lets you maneuver around almost anything. It has a black plastic handle that is big enough to comfortably holda when I need to lean into it.

Lastly I always find a use for a minature side cutter to cut and strip wire and my pic set to scrape, pull, and scratch.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Gummibear, you hit the nail square. I have been building old Fords for years, but this past summer I bought my first EB. I can look at a part and tell you what year, etc..., but this site has given me so much usefull info. There are so many bronco specific parts. I never would have gessed that you had to buy a special adapter to put a np235 in an old Bronc. Now I know what to buy, where to but it, or how to piece it together with the 6 cyl. piece. I also have a heater motor that really blows now (and I'll never tell anyone its a ch**y part!).
This site is the best!

mattt

Bronco Guru
My "lifesaver" tool is a inexpensive wire pick-up tool, not sure of the real name. It is a 24-36" flexible rod and has a knob on the end that when pushed extends 4 wires out of the end that will pick up anything they can get wrapped around. I can't tell you how many "CRAP!" moments where I dropped something into the nether regions that this thing has saved me.

I've always called that tool a nipple claw. :eek:

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Gas for the mig has been my best purchase so far. Friends are also invaluable.... and most of mine are tools ;D

I know this might not count but this site is the probably most usefull tool I have come across.